RE: [EddieEvents] Obituary of a noted bluesman

  • Plume, Barbara (OTDA)
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
      What a way to go....

      ________________________________
      From: EddieEvents@yahoogroups.com [EddieEvents@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Edward.J.Tracey@... [Edward.J.Tracey@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:04 AM
      To: EddieEvents@yahoogroups.com<mailto:EddieEvents@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [EddieEvents] Obituary of a noted bluesman

      Sometime in the 1980's, Jay Webster invited us to see this man perform at his
      alma mater - the NYS Maritime Academy at Fort Schuyler in the Bronx. Graciously
      put up with us kids after the show - he is one of the last of his generation of
      bluesmen that the rock & roll generation emulated.

      Eddie Kirkland, Blues Legend, Killed in Car Crash
      http://www.billboard.com/news/eddie-kirkland-blues-legend-killed-in-car-10050508
      32.story#/news/eddie-kirkland-blues-legend-killed-in-car-1005050832.story

      Eddie Kirkland, an 88-year-old blues legend known as the "Gypsy of the
      Blues" was killed in Florida when his car turned into the path of a Greyhound
      bus.

      Kirkland was traveling southeast on U.S. Highway 98 in Crystal River, north of
      Tampa, about 8:30 a.m. Sunday when he tried to make a U-turn in front of the
      bus, the Florida Highway Patrol said. The bus, which was traveling northwest,
      pushed Kirkland's Ford Taurus about 200 yards before the vehicles stopped.
      Kirkland was flown to Tampa General Hospital, where he later died.

      Thirteen passengers were on the bus, which was being driven by 67-year-old
      James Smith of Tallahassee, the Highway Patrol said. No one on the bus was
      injured. The Highway Patrol continued to investigate the accident Monday.

      According to his website, Kirkland, who lived in Macon, Ga., performed Saturday
      night at the Dunedin Brewery in Dunedin, the final stop in a four-city swing
      through Florida in February. His tour was to pick up April 8 in Pensacola.

      Born in Jamaica, and raised in Alabama, Kirkland eventually moved to Indiana
      before he settled in Detroit. He polished his blues sound and toured for 7 1/2
      years with John Lee Hooker. He moved to Georgia, became a bandleader for Otis
      Redding and performed with a variety of artists, including Little Richard, Ben
      King, Ruth Brown and Little Johnnie Taylor.

      This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.
    • Marilyn Tracey
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2011
        we had an accident on the way to that show.we were in Ed Davis's 1962 push-button dodge dart on the cross Bronx! Somebody stopped short, and we were the last car of a 4 car pile-up. all of the other cars were brand new. the car in front of us was a caddy. It stopped sooo short its rear end went up in the air and came down on our hood. Jay webster took his bicycle out of the trunk and rode to the school to get help and Ed Davis drove the car with his head out the window so he could see were he was going,with smoke billowing out of the engine, off to the service rd. A tow truck driver asked Ed were he was going and He told them he was driving it back to Long Island. Very funny night. I also asked Eddie Kirkland if he played any Punk rock!