Sad to read this.................

  • Edward.J.Tracey@valley.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2007
      ...........that the wineries on the East End of Long Island - that Bob and Mary
      have
      introduced some of us to - are dealing with some "ruin it for the rest of us"
      problems, although it does seem like it's the organized tour groups that are
      most responsible. We've sampled some truly excellent wines at these places.
      -----------

      New York Wineries Face Tastings Gone Wild
      By COREY KILGANNON; NY Times

      AQUEBOGUE, N.Y., July 3 -- In the 35 years since vines began sprouting out of
      its sandy soil, the North Fork of Long Island has fought to be recognized as a
      bona fide wine region, and now more than a million visitors a year visit the
      tasting rooms at its 30 vineyards to sample award-winning merlots and cabernet
      francs.

      But this season, small signs bearing stern messages -- "No Buses," "No Limos,"
      "Appointment Only" -- have sprouted outside many of the wineries. There also
      are reports of tastings gone wild involving intoxicated visitors who have
      tossed back full glasses of wine without regard to nose or body until they
      grabbed the brass spittoon for baser purposes.

      The latest additions to local lore include a story about members of an
      inebriated group at the Palmer Vineyards here who hopped off a hayride and
      began gallivanting naked through the vines. Then there were the drunken
      customers at the Pugliese Vineyards in Cutchogue who jumped into the shimmering
      lake next to the elegant outdoor tasting area. And the bachelorette parties
      that often culminate in tabletop dances, to the horror of nearby oenophiles
      sniffing or sipping the local chardonnays.

      "All of a sudden it's five deep at the bar with people knocking into each other
      and pushing each other out of the way to get to the tasting," said Kristen
      Venasky, 27, who has been pouring for two years at Palmer. "Saturdays," she
      said, "are for people who want to get sloshed."

      After managing to overcome the obstacles of new vines, fast-draining soil and
      fickle climate, the North Fork wineries are now struggling to handle crowds who
      are looking more for a good time than a good wine, who are interested in
      quaffing quickly whatever is open without regard to vintage or fermentation.

      Feeling the sting of its own success, the nascent wine region is battling an
      ugly image -- one pourer called the scene "slobs and snobs" -- that detracts
      from the charm of the boutique wineries that are just over an hour's drive from
      New York City. On any given Saturday, stretch limousines and tour buses jam
      otherwise bucolic Route 25, which snakes through sleepy towns, sprawling
      farmland and roadside vegetable stands.

      bastion known as the Hamptons, almost all of the wineries have ended free
      tastings and now generally charge $5 for a flight of carefully measured
      samples. (Palmer is one of the few still pouring without charge, if only for
      selected wines.) Many tasting rooms have banned bachelorette parties and
      tightened cutoff policies on serving the inebriated. Raphael vineyards in
      Peconic has closed its tasting room on Saturdays except by appointment.

      The North Fork is not the only wine-producing region in the state to have
      problems with rowdy tasters who arrive by limousine or bus. In New York -- the
      nation's third-largest producer of wine grapes, after California and Washington
      State, according to the United States Commerce Department -- wineries in the
      Finger Lakes region have created the Safe Group Wine Tours Initiative. The
      program issues warnings to groups that are considered out of control and will
      bar repeat offenders, according to The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.

      Many wineries in the Napa Valley of California, one of the nation's largest
      wine-producing areas, also have adopted a "no limos" policy.

      At North Fork wineries, it is common to see security guards and employees in
      the parking lots turning away limos and buses. The police say they have
      ratcheted up checkpoints to snare drunken drivers.

      The Long Island Wine Council -- which has charted the steady growth in visitors
      to North Fork wineries, to 1.2 million last year, from 940,000 in 2003 and
      500,000 in 2000 -- recently met with a consortium of local limousine companies
      to ask for cooperation in controlling their customers.

      Jim Ferrarie, president of Long Island Wine Tours, which offers limo and bus
      service, said he limits itineraries to three vineyards and reminds customers,
      most of whom are from Nassau County or New York City, that the outings are for
      learning about wine, not extreme drinking.

      "I could take them to six vineyards and get everyone plastered, but my goal is
      not to have them drink like it's party town," said Mr. Ferrarie, whose company
      has provided transportation for 73 bachelorette events this year. "They ask if
      the limos are stocked with liquor or if they can bring a cooler of beer on the
      bus. I tell them, 'You're on your way to a winery. This isn't a moving bar.' "

      Many tasters begin drinking before they arrive at their first winery, said
      Capt. Martin Flatley of the Southold Police Department.

      "You get a group coming in from Brooklyn in a limo and they've spent an hour
      and a half indulging on the way out before they even start hitting the
      wineries," Captain Flatley said.

      One recent Saturday, Rob Ianne, a 22-year-old mortgage broker from Farmingdale,
      and five friends did the circuit in a stretch limo. "We went to Pindar and Duck
      Walk and two other places I can't remember the names of," Mr. Ianne said. "I
      don't know, it's a good time, something different to do."

      The same day, at Martha Clara Vineyards in Riverhead, a group of six included
      John Gagliardi, 29, who runs a metal finishing shop in Brooklyn, and Bobby
      Gerace, 29, a New York City firefighter, who admitted that they preferred beer.
      "We're not big wine guys," Mr. Gerace said. "We came along for the fun of it."

      At the Pugliese Vineyards, known for tastings that overlook an ornamental pond,
      Pat Pugliese, one of the owners, said drunken tasters end up in the water at
      least twice a year. "Real wine people," she said, now avoid weekend afternoons.

      "We were one of the last wineries around to have free tastings, but I had to
      start charging because young people looking for a quick buzz would come in and
      go right down the list of 21 wines and taste without spending a dime," Ms.
      Pugliese said.

      Asked about those naked hayriders at Palmer, Ms. Venasky laughed. "They were
      older people," she said, "nothing you'd really want to see anyway."

      Even weekdays are not always immune from drunken tasters. Martha Clara promotes
      "Weekday Madness," when glasses of white wine sell for $3.50, and reds go for
      $4. And if the madness gets to be too much, the staff is instructed to
      adamantly, if diplomatically, cut off tasters who seem beyond tipsy.

      "You'll pour a wine for a guy and he'll say, 'What, this is all I get? Fill it
      up,' " said Rudy Bernhardt, a Martha Clara salesman. "I'll tell him, 'Sir, this
      is a wine tasting, not a bar.' "

      The Long Island Wine Press, a local magazine, has begun printing wine tasting
      etiquette guidelines and rules of proper behavior, including the need to
      refrain from putting tips in the wine spittoon.

      Do not "shout that something's disgusting because you don't happen to like it,"
      the list says, and "don't take the three-ounce pours of wine as if they were
      shots."
    • mgnthree@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2007
        Hey Ed:

        Please tell me that Eddie Burke WASN'T one of those naked hayriders. Dem
        Long Islanders, dey ain't got no class.

        Buffin

        PS: In the Napa Valley, the Mexican gangs like to leave the bodies of their
        victims in the vineyards. Gruesome.

      • reorgman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2007
          Eddie Burke is currently in Minnesota - I always pick the day the
          Twins or The Wild ( NHL team) are out of town......( All Star Break!)

          So, I did have a glass of wine - I went to a dinner at the Mall of
          America ! The largest shopping mall in the US allegely...

          Super !

          Eddie Burke

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2007
            Mr. Burke:

            Surely you visited Camp Snoopy and had a deep-fried Twinkie?