Re: Space Cadets

  • shaded2cinders
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
      --- In EdBishopFans@yahoogroups.com, "Hemmings, R.K." <rkh@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I'm reposting this as the original doesn't seem to have
      > gone through:

      This message appeared some hours before your original one..... the
      wonders of Yahoo! ;-)

      > It's done! Unfortunately, at 45MB, it's too large to
      > go on any of my websites (if anyone is willing/able to
      > host it for a short while, please let me know.)
      > I'm looking into free web hosting (again), but with little
      > success (again) so far..

      Is there anyone out there able and willing to help? :-)

      > For now, I've put it on a Streaming media service that I'm
      > erm.. testing.. <g> - I should be able to keep it on there
      > for a couple of weeks.
      > You'll need Windows Media Player 9 or above to see it.
      >
      > If using a web browser:
      > http:\\streaming1.le.ac.uk\pc\guest\SC.wmv
      >
      > or (preferred) start Windows Media Player, then choose
      > File, Open URL and type (or copyNpaste) this into the
      > 'Open' box:
      >
      > mms:\\streaming1.le.ac.uk\pc\guest\SC.wmv
      >
      > Unfortunately "Save [Target] As" won't work from a
      > streaming server - all that gets saved is a playlist.. :/
      >
      > BTW, file is 320x240 and ~22mins long.
      >
      > TTFN!
      > --
      > Rob

      I'll see if I can do this.........

      Thanks Rob - you're a star! :-D

      Sarah
    • Charles & Lorraine
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
        Thank you so much Rob. It was very easy to play on Windows Media Player and
        it was wonderful to see Ed and Craig together.

        Thanks also to Marc for the LNL audio interview and to Sarah for the
        transcription!

        As we approach the one year anniversary of Ed's death, I consider anything I
        haven't seen or heard with Ed in it to be even more special.

        Lorraine

        > For now, I've put it on a Streaming media service that I'm
        > erm.. testing.. <g> - I should be able to keep it on there
        > for a couple of weeks. <snip>
        > TTFN!
        > --
        > Rob

        'I'm amazed that somebody recognises me in the street, you know. I was
        standing in a doorway in Soho and a very well-dressed guy in his 30's
        stopped dead in his tracks. He spun around and says 'You used to be in
        U.F.O.' I said 'Yes, that's right!'. He says 'You're Ed Bishop!' I said 'I
        know!'.
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Hemmings, R.K.
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7 7:26 AM
          Hi all,

          Sorry some of you couldn't see any video - I'm
          not really sure why, but try this new version
          and let me know if you still can't see it (the
          old version has now gone.):

          Start Windows Media Player, click File, Open URL
          and type or paste this into the box:

          mms://streaming1.le.ac.uk/pc/guest/sc.asf

          I hope I got it right this time, but it might
          only work if you have broadband (apologies to
          those on dial-up, if this turns-out to be the
          case.)

          Enjoy!
          --
          Rob
        • Marc Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7 7:45 AM
            > Start Windows Media Player, click File, Open URL
            > and type or paste this into the box:
            >
            > mms://streaming1.le.ac.uk/pc/guest/sc.asf

            For the record, I have not been able to open or
            play either version on my home computer (Windows
            XP, Windows Media Player 10). My work computer
            (which is the same) can play it though!

            Now you see why I dread putting video files
            on the web... video is a big hassle!

            Marc
          • Charles & Lorraine

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 10 8:50 AM
                Marc wrote:

                > > Start Windows Media Player, click File, Open URL
                > > and type or paste this into the box:
                > >
                > > mms://streaming1.le.ac.uk/pc/guest/sc.asf
                >
                > For the record, I have not been able to open or
                > play either version on my home computer (Windows
                > XP, Windows Media Player 10). My work computer
                > (which is the same) can play it though!
                >
                > Now you see why I dread putting video files
                > on the web... video is a big hassle!

                Thanks for the feedback, Marc. I agree - it's a
                nightmare. I think the problem in this case is
                that WMP knows what speed the internet link is on
                a particular PC and will only play it if that link
                is fast enough. I'll try once more and encode using
                all 'audiences', although that will make the file
                *much* larger, so it may not fit in the space I have
                available on the server I'm testing.. :-\

                Regards,
                --
                Rob