A Proposed Unifying Theory for the Experience of Gnosis

  • Jhanananda
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 7:53 AM
      Hello friends, I have just finished an article in which I endeavor to bring
      together a conceptual umbrella under which I hope to embrace 4 distinctly
      different subjective experiences within a single framework by utilizing the
      concepts embodied within the Discourse of the Buddha and the Yoga Sutras of
      Patañjali. That article is available at this URL:

      A Proposed Structure for Placing the Phenomena Associated with the Concept
      of Access Concentration (upacara-samadhi), The luminous Orb, and the
      Out-of-Body (OOB) experience within the Buddha¹s 8 stages of Meditative
      Absorption (jhana)
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/transitionalabsorption.htm

      The premise that I have worked on all along in my 3 decades of contemplative
      life has simply been whatever went on subjectively in my contemplative life
      must have some component that is common to all people in all times. In
      support of this premise is the writings of the mystics of the world from
      Zarathustra to the present. If there is a commonality to the experience of
      gnosis then it is relevant to read the writings of the mystics. If there is
      no common experience of gnosis, or method to it, then it is irrelevant to
      read or study the writings of the mystics.

      When I read the Discourses of the Buddha I found a great deal that was
      common to my experiences in meditation. That was also true when I read the
      works of Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. In fact I use my experience
      as a determining factor for whether someone is speaking from personal
      experience or writing fiction.

      Please consider reading that article and expressing your opinion.

      May you dwell in the joyful home of the way (Di.t.thadhammasukhavihaaraa)

      Sotapanna Jhanananda (Jeffrey S, Brooks)
      the Great Western Vehicle
      http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/index.html