Nader on Bernard Shaw's program

  • elevans@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      <<Here's the transcript from Ralph's appearance on Inside Politics with
      Bernard Shaw. (Thanks to Scott McClarty)

      First, an excerpt:

      "[W]hy should I worry about the two parties who I think have undermined
      American Democracy and kept our country short of its promise. I am--my
      concern is to marshal a strong base around the country, to build a new,
      third progressive political party -- the Green Party."

      Nader interviewed by Bernard Shaw on Inside Politics

      Tuesday 5/30 - Inside Politics

      SHAW: Right now, in how many states are you on the ballot?

      NADER: About 17. We're just filing 60,000 signatures in Texas. Only
      38,000 are needed. We expect to be on 40 states by the end of June, and we're
      going for all 50 by the end of summer.

      SHAW: You are in Los Angeles for the moment. Can you deny victory in
      California to Al Gore?

      NADER: Well, that's a negative way of putting it. I'm worried about Al
      Gore taking away votes from us. We're basically going to go after the
      two-party duopoly, essentially a corporate party with two heads wearing
      different
      makeup into, and we're going to...

      SHAW: Wait a minute, you just used the word -- did you say “duopoly?”

      NADER: Yes, a duopoly. In other words, these are the two parties –
      Republican and Democrat are converging on more and more issues, like on
      environmental issues. Let's take WTO, NAFTA, oil, gas and coal industry,
      nuclear industry, issues that are worrying members of the board of the
      Sierra Club, bioengineering, motor vehicle industry. There is no
      difference between Gore and Bush except their rhetoric. You look at the actual
      record of the Clinton-Gore administration, they've broken all kinds of
      promises
      that were in Al Gore's 1992 book.

      SHAW: Ralph Nader, realistically, nationwide, what percentage of the
      vote do you expect to get?

      NADER: If I was going to predict that, I'd stop campaigning, Bernie.
      We're going after every vote. You should watch me talk to conservative
      audiences, liberal, progressive; they all feel they've lost control, in this
      country, over almost everything that matters to them. And they know that big
      business reigns almost supreme in Washington D.C. and all too many state
      legislatures. So it's a pro democracy vote -- public financing of public
      campaigns, getting the labor laws strengthened to allow workers in
      places like Wal-Mart to form trade unions and strengthening law enforcement on
      corporate crime fraud and abuse, both against tax dollars and consumers.

      SHAW: Well you know, some Democratic strategists say that you will hurt
      Gore and help Bush. What say you?

      NADER: Well, in 1996, according to Dick Morris, I took four Republican
      votes for every six Democrat votes, not to mention independent. Buchanan
      will pull votes predominantly from the Republicans, but you know, why should
      I worry about the two parties who I think have undermined American
      Democracy and kept our country short of its promise. I am--my concern is to
      marshal a strong base around the country, to build a new, third progressive
      political party -- the Green Party.

      SHAW: As you appeal to voters, what is your prime strength and your
      prime weakness?

      NADER: Well, the prime strength is 40 years of working for ordinary folk
      here in Washington -- stronger, safer cars, and cleaner environment, and
      consumer protection and advancing low-income affordable housing. And I
      suppose the prime weakness is that I failed to accomplish all of my
      goals, and that along with other citizen groups, we've been closed down in
      Washington by two parties who belong to big money.

      SHAW: Well, we'll see you on the campaign trail, Ralph Nader.

      NADER: Thank you.>>
      Regards,

      Ed Evans
      Nature is very complex to think about, and possibly more complex than we can
      think.
      <A HREF="http://www.greeninformation.com/">http://www.greeninformation.com</A>