New to this group

  • dollyreader
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2005
      Hi - I'm Dolly I've been a member of Eckankar for 5 and a half
      years, Last Friday nite Dec 23, 05 I decided -out of the blue -to
      have a look (for the first ever time) to see if there were any
      articles relating to Eckankar being a 'cult' on the net. Well - I
      was 'shocked' dismayed' and 'huffing and puffing' at what I read.
      How could I be so gullable? I joined back then, without even
      thinking to look on the net - I wish I'd looked!
      I finally went to bed at 4am - at 7am I started - cleaned out
      all the draws, couldn't believe I'd accumlated -spent so many $
      over the years. I shredded the discourses that came as single
      sheets. Found 43 books - of which I tore up 12 (including the
      2 Shariat-ki-Sugmads. As much as I tried -I could never make any
      sense of Paul Twitchell's books - but I liked the Klemp Books.
      I think I'll have to throw away the remaining 31 books too (even tho
      hubby (not in Eck) said 'sell them'. How do I sell them or give
      them away when I know they are full of deceptions.
      I have been in a 'slight' turmoil since Fri nite. I think I'll
      slide away - very quietly - just won't renew my membership.
      I did a rekki - went back over everything I'd spent (seminars, books,
      tapes functions (sound familiar? -more on that later) added up to
      US$5750. I feel bewildered and sad and an 'idiot' all at the same
      time. Hopefully time will heal.
      Now back to the tapes, books, functions etc - You guessed it-
      Ammmmm-Way. We had joined this 5 times since 1983- You ask
      why so many times - I don't know - would work our butts off trying
      to sponser people for 6 months each time (cost us on average
      $5,000/yr- products, tapes of the week, book of the month -etc etc)-
      then turn around to find they'd all disappeared after doing next to
      nothing, and we'd still be at 3, or 6% (most of which we'd bought) -
      so we'd resign. Then a few years later along would come another
      good talking likeable sort that would say -'our groups different'. I
      think we liked the social aspect of it at the time. In the year
      2000 -I went on the net and saw what a croc of lies Amway was - this
      one suing that one etc. Just wish I'd looked at the net then -
      BEFORE I joined Eckanar. I'm wondering if, - (after what I've been
      thru -Amway oh, yes just remembered - 2 other MLMs for a while) - a
      certain type of gullible person is the target - I always look at the
      fun positive side of everything - jump in boots and all. I wonder
      when I'll learn!! But with Eck I felt as tho they were so honest
      and everything seemed so fantastic to me. I have 'caught' myself
      many times over the last 4 or 5 days starting to say
      about 'something' - Thankyou Mahan - and I stop midsentence - then
      without thinking - singing HU -suddenly stop- so I know I've
      been 'programmed to 'be' an Eckist. I have got some good info from
      your group - thankyou - Hope to hear back - of any ideas of how to
      cope in the short term - good web addresses etc Thankyou and LOL
      Dolly (p.s. I live in Australia)
    • l2eigh
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2005
        Hi Dolly:
        Congratulations. Obviously you don't have any denial issues -
        inability to make choices. From what I've read and some of the
        correspondence I've had, my experience is that it sometimes takes
        days or weeks or even months - sometimes even years - for someone to
        make the decision you seem to have made in a couple of hours.

        Leigh

        -- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "dollyreader"

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 28, 2005
          Hello Dolly,
          Welcome! It's good to hear from you. I'm curious, What was it that
          got you to check out Eckankar, as a cult, on the Internet? Were
          there comments by others or suspicions that inspired your own
          curiosity? The contradictions always bothered me about Eckankar, and
          then Ford's book helped to explain the confusion by sharing insights
          into the scam. However, we each have to explore our own "why" of
          staying in as long as we did. For you the time spent was much
          shorter than with many of us and for this you are fortunate.

          dollyreader wrote:

          Hi - I'm Dolly
          I've been a member of Eckankar for 5 and a half years, Last Friday
          nite Dec 23, 05 I decided -out of the blue -to have a look (for the
          first ever time) to see if there were any articles relating to
          Eckankar being a 'cult' on the net. Well - I was 'shocked'
          dismayed' and 'huffing and puffing' at what I read. How could I be
          so gullable? I joined back then, without even thinking to look on
          the net - I wish I'd looked!

          *****Don't kick yourself too much for being gullible. I was too!
          Many current and former Eckists can't admit to being gullible or
          foolish. Admitting one's gullibility is having a higher awareness
          than those who can't or won't. Ego and vanity are factors which
          prevent exploration into greater truths.

          I finally went to bed at 4am - at 7am I started - cleaned out
          all the draws, couldn't believe I'd accumlated -spent so many $
          over the years. I shredded the discourses that came as single
          sheets. Found 43 books - of which I tore up 12 (including the
          2 Shariat-ki-Sugmads. As much as I tried -I could never make any
          sense of Paul Twitchell's books - but I liked the Klemp Books.
          I think I'll have to throw away the remaining 31 books too (even tho
          hubby (not in Eck) said 'sell them'. How do I sell them or give
          them away when I know they are full of deceptions. I have been in
          a 'slight' turmoil since Fri nite. I think I'll slide away - very
          quietly - just won't renew my membership.

          *****I found Paul's books more interesting and "deeper" than Klemp's
          because Twitch copied from those who were more spiritually advanced.
          The problem with Twitchell (IMO) was that he spoke in
          contradictions. In one paragraph Soul was free and its own Master,
          and in the next paragraph It needed the LEM or Mahanta... basically
          forever! Klemp just rehashes what Twitchell has already written. I
          have kept some of my books for reference and decided to throw the
          rest away. It's up to you whether you want to sell them on e-bay or
          not. I think that the best thing is to just slide away from the
          membership and not renew. Expect about 3 letters reminding you that
          your membership has not been paid. After that they should leave you
          alone. IMO Klemp doesn't deserve a resignation letter.

          I did a rekki - went back over everything I'd spent (seminars, books,
          tapes functions (sound familiar? -more on that later) added up to
          US $5750. I feel bewildered and sad and an 'idiot' all at the same
          time. Hopefully time will heal.

          *****I know rekki! You got off easy and cheap! After around 30 years
          and attending dozens of major and regional seminars the costs get
          much higher. And, the cost of that vahana material, the hours away
          from home, gas, etc. really adds up too! Isn't it amazing how Klemp
          expects Eckists to spend and spend while he's got how much money and
          perks? We'll never know the truth!

          Now back to the tapes, books, functions etc - You guessed it- Ammmmm-
          Way. We had joined this 5 times since 1983- You ask why so many
          times - I don't know - would work our butts off trying to sponser
          people for 6 months each time (cost us on average $5,000/yr-
          products, tapes of the week, book of the month -etc etc)- then turn
          around to find they'd all disappeared after doing next to nothing,
          and we'd still be at 3, or 6% (most of which we'd bought) - so we'd
          resign. Then a few years later along would come another good talking
          likeable sort that would say -'our groups different'. I think we
          liked the social aspect of it at the time.

          *****Yep, been there... done that and more! I even bought the tee
          shirt! Yes, talk is cheap for Klemp and other pyramid scammers and
          you don't really know about these groups until you're in. Even
          then you don't know the real truth if you have closed eyes and
          a closed mind. Sometimes people are just looking for a group of like
          mined individuals that seem to have the same goals. For some groups
          like Eckankar... Misery loves company and might makes right... it
          would seem!

          In the year 2000 -I went on the net and saw what a croc of lies
          Amway was - this one suing that one etc. Just wish I'd looked at the
          net then - BEFORE I joined Eckanar. I'm wondering if, - (after what
          I've been thru -Amway oh, yes just remembered - 2 other MLMs for a
          while) - a certain type of gullible person is the target - I always
          look at the fun positive side of everything - jump in boots and all.
          I wonder when I'll learn!! But with Eck I felt as tho they were so
          honest and everything seemed so fantastic to me. I have 'caught'
          myself many times over the last 4 or 5 days starting to say
          about 'something' - Thankyou Mahan - and I stop midsentence - then
          without thinking - singing HU -suddenly stop- so I know I've
          been 'programmed to 'be' an Eckist.

          *****I know what you mean about the Mahan.. thing. I still catch
          myself after over two years in leaving the org. My brain washing was
          more extensive and for a longer duration. It took me quite awhile to
          read Ford's book because I researched his sources as I went along. I
          really had to think about it all and discussed it with some really
          close friends who also left when I did. The whole process, for me,
          was very long and difficult but had to be done in order to save
          mySelf. However, the sense of freedom and stress relief afterwards,
          as well as, the new flow of awareness and experiences of clarity
          were extremely noticeable and relaxing. True and longer periods of
          contentment became frequent. I guess that I had also bought into
          what seemed to be the "necessary" stress, struggle, pain, and
          servitude associated with spiritual growth. I discovered that all of
          this was just part of the scam of religion... of Eckankar!

          I have got some good info from your group - thank you - Hope to hear
          back - of any ideas of how to cope in the short term - good web
          addresses etc.

          *****Ideas of coping in the short term? There are some links on this
          site that might help or maybe read more of the archives. Sometimes
          understanding the how and why of it happening just requires more
          exploration and introspection. Of course, there are ESA site members
          here that might have something to offer too. Make up your own secret
          word to chant. It's as valid as any! One can change the mental
          spelling, like in Shawn-tee, and then visualize and associate what
          ever you want the word to mean... use your intuition. This technique
          can help when meditating/contemplating. On another note, the Amway
          thing seems different from the Eckankar thing... or are they
          connected in some way? Just know that you are your own Master and
          can communicate with SPIRIT and IT (GOD) without the need of a
          spiritual guide. There are many things, experiences, and words from
          people that can guide and help us to discover our true identity of
          Soul...

          Please feel free to post more comments. It's fun to now be free to
          share the nasty truth about Eckankar when previously the "law of
          silence" hung over our heads.

          Prometheus
        • mhstarlings
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
            Hi all,

            I just joined your group because I have so many questions about
            Eckankar, and don't have anyone to confide in, or ask. I am an HI who
            is contemplating leaving Eckankar.

            I don't know just how this group works, so please bear with me, and if
            I mess up, let me know.

            Thanks
            Ma-li
          • drubezarne
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
              Hello and welcome Ma-li and Skypilot4mr. A number of us are former
              H.I.'s. I can only speak for myself. I got into Eckankar in 1972 and
              even bought the lifetime membership. In the long run, it did save me
              some money, but I could have saved a lot more if I had been smarter
              and never joined.

              Like many here, I had all the Eck booby prizes (ESA, Initiator, etc.)
              None of them meant anything. They are just the cult's way of keeping
              you from leaving by feeding the ego. They are also used by the
              organization to get you to work for them for free. I was glad to give
              it all up and left it behind including the lifetime membership.

              By now you've realized that H.I.'s are no better than anybody else.
              They're not more spiritual. In all likelihood, they're more
              brainwashed than the rest of the Eckankar membership.

              A lot of the H.I.'s hold onto their cult memberships because it gives
              them status and a feeling of worth. One can really see this with
              H.I.'s who perform at Eck functions. This is their only chance to
              actually take the stage and sing, play, give speeches, act, dance,
              etc. in front of an audience. What would they do if they were no
              longer members of Eckankar? Who would want to see their 3rd rate
              performance?

              Please feel free to tell us why you woke up from this deception called
              Eckankar. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask them. Unlike
              Eckankar, we don't discourage questions and we don't practice the law
              of silence.

              Regards
              Liska

              --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "mhstarlings"
              <mhstarlings@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I just joined your group because I have so many questions about
              > Eckankar, and don't have anyone to confide in, or ask. I am an HI who
              > is contemplating leaving Eckankar.
              >
              > I don't know just how this group works, so please bear with me, and if
              > I mess up, let me know.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Ma-li

            • Ma-li
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2008
                Greetings, and thank you for the welcome.  It's been around 5 years since things just didn't feel right...it was like there was no one/no energy there when I was trying to connect with the Mahanta.  That became frustrating, so I gave up on that aspect of my spiritual contemplation.

                Perhaps the eye opener was that for so long there has been no new information etc. written by Harold.  Every book is about chela experiences.  That's not what I joined Eckankar for way back when.  I may not be the brightest Light in the area, but even I can tell that things have changed, and wanted to know why.  These things being: how time has speeded up, out of norm positions for the moon, seasons out of season, strange weather events, etc., and of course, the Ascension, and the approaching 2012 shift.  Nothing has ever been discussed by Harold, and who better to look to for guidance and information than our spiritual leader????  I had to go to other sources to read about these things so I could understand some of what I was sensing and experiencing.  How could he not know, or be aware of what was transpiring in this physical world?  Why didn't he make some comments on them?  Just ignoring things does not make them go away.  In this case, the chela went away.

                Yesterday I read Ford Johnson's 2 letters to Harold.  It came as a shock to me to realize I am staying with Eckankar out of guilt.  Now I feel so stupid.....I actually bought into the fear/guilt that was part of the teachings.  I should have seen it earlier on.  Last night my guide made it very clear to me that leaving Eckankar was just another step on the path of spiritual growth.  It is no different than when I left various other religions that I had gone thru while searching, and before I found Eckankar.  Takes a while to get over the guilt I guess. lol  You know how we've all been taught to feel guilty about everything.  Later.

                Namaste,
                Ma-li