Re: species

  • l2eigh
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12 4:25 PM
      Hi:
      Yeah, the enteric nervous system is an orphan. No one wants to
      claim it. Yet we reckon
      four kinds of karma (daily, fate, reserve, primal), four centers in
      tantric meditation, four
      dimensions along the Hara Line, not to mention mind realization, self
      realization, spiritual
      realization, God realization, also consciousness, awareness, purpose,
      freedom, and much,
      much more based on our relationsip to what? The reptilian, mammalian,
      and neocortical
      systems alone? But really, Prometheus, I feel like Sisyphus about
      this. This is not a thread I
      wanted to start. I just wanted to say I think we outpicture and
      manifest all the things
      people are going on about including our inner experiences in the case
      of those folks
      who've experienced those all their lives.

      <prometheus_973@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Leigh,
      >
      > Yes, I once took a course on biopsychology and still have my book!
      > There are many more areas of the brain than what have been listed,
      > but it really isn't necessary to go in to such detail. However, let
      > me give a quote that supports the scientific research and
      > understanding of the brain as a whole (including the brain stem).
      > I'm still not certain if one can narrow it down (simplify it) to
      > a "four" brain approach, but maybe this approach helps to visualize
      > and give a glimpse of the process with an understandable
      explanation
      > for the lay person.
      >
      > "Conclusion... you have been confronted by two indisputable facts
      of
      > life: (1) You and I and all other living animals are the cumulative
      > products of 600 million years of adaptation; (2) We humans are
      > related to all other animal species--in some cases, more closely
      > than we like to admit. Pondering the implications of these truths
      > can be humbling, but that is not why I introduced them here. I
      > introduced them because their pervasive influence on
      > biopsychological research. Biopsychologists often study behavior
      and
      > neural mechanisms by focusing on adaptiveness and the environmental
      > pressures that led to their evolution--this is called the
      FUNCTIONAL
      > APPROACH. And biopsychologists often try to learn about the
      > behaviors and neural mechanisms of one species, usually humans, by
      > studying the behaviors and neural mechanisms of related species--
      > this is called the COMPARATIVE APPROACH."
      >
      > By the way, only one of the links came up for me. It was from the
      > Common Dreams News Center and the topic: "Cheney Speaks to the
      > Reptile Brain." I enjoyed the article because of the detailed
      > explanations it gave of what are and how the "THREE" brains worked
      > (versus FOUR), and I also liked the examples the article gave by
      > using Cheney's three-brain trickery (triple-speak?).
      >
      > On another note: Did you hear about the person who was a dyslexic,
      > an agnostic, and an insomniac--he stays awake every night wondering
      > if there really is a doG.
      >
      > Prometheus
      >

      > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
      > <lgrif@m...> wrote:
      > > Hi Prometheus:
      > > Yeah, I thought about that, using
      that
      > > link. Even if I had the money and
      > > time to travel for workshops like those I wouldn't. So... right
      > > message, wrong messenger.
      > > My point is as to how what I was talking about are outpicturings
      > and
      > > so on of our own, not
      > > coming from "out there" but from within. Individually, and
      > > particularly collectively. I'm
      > > sorry you don't like the explanation of the four "brains". The
      > > enteric nervous system
      > > (somatic "brain", the one in the gut), the reptilian brain
      > (brainstem
      > > and associated systems,
      > > limbic (mammalian) brain, and neocortex in its
      > recognized "sections"
      > > (anterior and
      > > posterior lobes, midbrain, and temporal lobes) are recognized by
      > > boilogy, science and
      > > medicine. I can remember some of it from studying Anthropology 101
      > > way back when.
      > > And there's some general recognition of correspondence between
      > > biology and
      > > psychology... how we respond to these systems we're walking around
      > > with/in, whether
      > > we're aware of them as part of our actual physical makeup at the
      > > roots, as cause, or not.
      > > I'll put in some other links. Some good, some not so good. But
      > which
      > > give a short
      > > illustration of what I mean. The site The Brain from Top to
      Bottom
      > is
      > > particularly good and
      > > fairly extensive. If the link doesn't work you "Google' or
      "Yahoo!"
      > > it, get it in a search.
      > >
      > > http://www.thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/d/d_05/d_05_cr
      > > /d_05_cr_her/d_05_cr_her.
      > >
      > > htmhttp://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:L59EbghU7S
      > > UJ:vanat.cvm.umn.edu/
      > >
      > NeuroLectPDFs/LectCerebralCortex.pdf+six+layers+
      of+the+neocortex&hl=e