Re: species

  • l2eigh
    Message 1 of 6 , May 12, 2005
      Hi Prometheus:
      Yeah, I thought about that, using that
      link. Even if I had the money and
      time to travel for workshops like those I wouldn't. So... right
      message, wrong messenger.
      My point is as to how what I was talking about are outpicturings and
      so on of our own, not
      coming from "out there" but from within. Individually, and
      particularly collectively. I'm
      sorry you don't like the explanation of the four "brains". The
      enteric nervous system
      (somatic "brain", the one in the gut), the reptilian brain (brainstem
      and associated systems,
      limbic (mammalian) brain, and neocortex in its recognized "sections"
      (anterior and
      posterior lobes, midbrain, and temporal lobes) are recognized by
      boilogy, science and
      medicine. I can remember some of it from studying Anthropology 101
      way back when.
      And there's some general recognition of correspondence between
      biology and
      psychology... how we respond to these systems we're walking around
      with/in, whether
      we're aware of them as part of our actual physical makeup at the
      roots, as cause, or not.
      I'll put in some other links. Some good, some not so good. But which
      give a short
      illustration of what I mean. The site The Brain from Top to Bottom is
      particularly good and
      fairly extensive. If the link doesn't work you "Google' or "Yahoo!"
      it, get it in a search.

      http://www.thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/d/d_05/d_05_cr
      /d_05_cr_her/d_05_cr_her.

      htmhttp://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:L59EbghU7S
      UJ:vanat.cvm.umn.edu/
      NeuroLectPDFs/LectCerebralCortex.pdf+six+layers+of+the+neocortex&hl=en

      <prometheus_973@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Leigh,
      >
      > I looked at the link, and wasn't too impressed with their
      > credentials or the explanination of the four brains. Neither am I
      > surprised to see another organization looking to make a buck. Did
      > you see the cost of those feel-good workshops! Actually, I saw
      > plenty of these groups even before Eckankar and they all have their
      > own gimmick to pull people in... just like P.T
      >
      > One reason for Klemp moving the Eckankar headquarters out of
      > California was too much of this sort of influence. Of course, the
      > other reason is that Minnesota (unlike California) has a privacy
      law
      > for Non-profit organizations so that their finances are not public
      > record and available for scruntiny.
      >
      > Prometheus
      >

      > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
      > <lgrif@m...> wrote:
      > > Hi:
      > > What I mean, is these things aren't coming from outer
      space.
      > We're (in effect)
      > > "haunting" ourselves with outpicturings and manifestations of our
      > own fears, paranoias,
      > > and hysterias. And I'm going to try the link one more time to see
      > if it comes up (this time)
      > > as a link.
      > >

      > http://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-brains.html
      > >

      > > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
      > <lgrif@m...> wrote:
      > > > "Reptilian", and so on, come from this http
      > > > ://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-
      > > > brains.html . The experiences... outpicturings,
      manifestations,
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2005
        Hi Leigh,

        Yes, I once took a course on biopsychology and still have my book!
        There are many more areas of the brain than what have been listed,
        but it really isn't necessary to go in to such detail. However, let
        me give a quote that supports the scientific research and
        understanding of the brain as a whole (including the brain stem).
        I'm still not certain if one can narrow it down (simplify it) to
        a "four" brain approach, but maybe this approach helps to visualize
        and give a glimpse of the process with an understandable explanation
        for the lay person.

        "Conclusion... you have been confronted by two indisputable facts of
        life: (1) You and I and all other living animals are the cumulative
        products of 600 million years of adaptation; (2) We humans are
        related to all other animal species--in some cases, more closely
        than we like to admit. Pondering the implications of these truths
        can be humbling, but that is not why I introduced them here. I
        introduced them because their pervasive influence on
        biopsychological research. Biopsychologists often study behavior and
        neural mechanisms by focusing on adaptiveness and the environmental
        pressures that led to their evolution--this is called the FUNCTIONAL
        APPROACH. And biopsychologists often try to learn about the
        behaviors and neural mechanisms of one species, usually humans, by
        studying the behaviors and neural mechanisms of related species--
        this is called the COMPARATIVE APPROACH."

        By the way, only one of the links came up for me. It was from the
        Common Dreams News Center and the topic: "Cheney Speaks to the
        Reptile Brain." I enjoyed the article because of the detailed
        explanations it gave of what are and how the "THREE" brains worked
        (versus FOUR), and I also liked the examples the article gave by
        using Cheney's three-brain trickery (triple-speak?).

        On another note: Did you hear about the person who was a dyslexic,
        an agnostic, and an insomniac--he stays awake every night wondering
        if there really is a doG.

        EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "prometheus_973"
        > <prometheus_973@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi Leigh,
        > >
        > > I looked at the link, and wasn't too impressed with their
        > > credentials or the explanination of the four brains. Neither am
        > > surprised to see another organization looking to make a buck.
        Did
        > > you see the cost of those feel-good workshops! Actually, I saw
        > > plenty of these groups even before Eckankar and they all have
        their
        > > own gimmick to pull people in... just like P.T
        > >
        > > One reason for Klemp moving the Eckankar headquarters out of
        > > California was too much of this sort of influence. Of course,
        the
        > > other reason is that Minnesota (unlike California) has a privacy
        > law
        > > for Non-profit organizations so that their finances are not
        public
        > > record and available for scruntiny.
        > >
        > > Prometheus
        > >

        > > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
        > > <lgrif@m...> wrote:
        > > > Hi:
        > > > What I mean, is these things aren't coming from outer
        > space.
        > > We're (in effect)
        > > > "haunting" ourselves with outpicturings and manifestations of
        our
        > > own fears, paranoias,
        > > > and hysterias. And I'm going to try the link one more time to
        see
        > > if it comes up (this time)
        > > > as a link.
        > > >

        > > http://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-brains.html
        > > >

        > > > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
        > manifestations,
        > > it.
      • l2eigh
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2005
          Hi:
          Yeah, the enteric nervous system is an orphan. No one wants to
          claim it. Yet we reckon
          four kinds of karma (daily, fate, reserve, primal), four centers in
          tantric meditation, four
          dimensions along the Hara Line, not to mention mind realization, self
          realization, spiritual
          realization, God realization, also consciousness, awareness, purpose,
          freedom, and much,
          much more based on our relationsip to what? The reptilian, mammalian,
          and neocortical
          systems alone? But really, Prometheus, I feel like Sisyphus about
          this. This is not a thread I
          wanted to start. I just wanted to say I think we outpicture and
          manifest all the things
          people are going on about including our inner experiences in the case
          of those folks
          who've experienced those all their lives.