Re: species

  • l2eigh
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2005
      Hi:
      What I mean, is these things aren't coming from outer space. We're (in effect)
      "haunting" ourselves with outpicturings and manifestations of our own fears, paranoias,
      and hysterias. And I'm going to try the link one more time to see if it comes up (this time)
      as a link.

      http://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-brains.html

      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2005
        Hi Leigh,

        I looked at the link, and wasn't too impressed with their
        credentials or the explanination of the four brains. Neither am I
        surprised to see another organization looking to make a buck. Did
        you see the cost of those feel-good workshops! Actually, I saw
        plenty of these groups even before Eckankar and they all have their
        own gimmick to pull people in... just like P.T

        One reason for Klemp moving the Eckankar headquarters out of
        California was too much of this sort of influence. Of course, the
        other reason is that Minnesota (unlike California) has a privacy law
        for Non-profit organizations so that their finances are not public
        record and available for scruntiny.

        Prometheus

        <lgrif@m...> wrote:
        > Hi:
        > What I mean, is these things aren't coming from outer space.
        We're (in effect)
        > "haunting" ourselves with outpicturings and manifestations of our
        own fears, paranoias,
        > and hysterias. And I'm going to try the link one more time to see
        if it comes up (this time)
        > as a link.

        http://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-brains.html

        > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
        <lgrif@m...> wrote:
        > > "Reptilian", and so on, come from this http
        > > ://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-
        > > brains.html . The experiences... outpicturings, manifestations,
        > > inner experiences or a
        > > person's choice of behavior, come from within ourselves. We do
        it.
        > > Based on this
      • l2eigh
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2005
          Hi Prometheus:
          Yeah, I thought about that, using that
          link. Even if I had the money and
          time to travel for workshops like those I wouldn't. So... right
          message, wrong messenger.
          My point is as to how what I was talking about are outpicturings and
          so on of our own, not
          coming from "out there" but from within. Individually, and
          particularly collectively. I'm
          sorry you don't like the explanation of the four "brains". The
          enteric nervous system
          (somatic "brain", the one in the gut), the reptilian brain (brainstem
          and associated systems,
          limbic (mammalian) brain, and neocortex in its recognized "sections"
          (anterior and
          posterior lobes, midbrain, and temporal lobes) are recognized by
          boilogy, science and
          medicine. I can remember some of it from studying Anthropology 101
          way back when.
          And there's some general recognition of correspondence between
          biology and
          psychology... how we respond to these systems we're walking around
          with/in, whether
          we're aware of them as part of our actual physical makeup at the
          roots, as cause, or not.
          I'll put in some other links. Some good, some not so good. But which
          give a short
          illustration of what I mean. The site The Brain from Top to Bottom is
          particularly good and
          fairly extensive. If the link doesn't work you "Google' or "Yahoo!"
          it, get it in a search.

          http://www.thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/d/d_05/d_05_cr
          /d_05_cr_her/d_05_cr_her.

          htmhttp://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:L59EbghU7S
          UJ:vanat.cvm.umn.edu/
          NeuroLectPDFs/LectCerebralCortex.pdf+six+layers+of+the+neocortex&hl=en

          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2005
            Hi Leigh,

            Yes, I once took a course on biopsychology and still have my book!
            There are many more areas of the brain than what have been listed,
            but it really isn't necessary to go in to such detail. However, let
            me give a quote that supports the scientific research and
            understanding of the brain as a whole (including the brain stem).
            I'm still not certain if one can narrow it down (simplify it) to
            a "four" brain approach, but maybe this approach helps to visualize
            and give a glimpse of the process with an understandable explanation
            for the lay person.

            "Conclusion... you have been confronted by two indisputable facts of
            life: (1) You and I and all other living animals are the cumulative
            products of 600 million years of adaptation; (2) We humans are
            related to all other animal species--in some cases, more closely
            than we like to admit. Pondering the implications of these truths
            can be humbling, but that is not why I introduced them here. I
            introduced them because their pervasive influence on
            biopsychological research. Biopsychologists often study behavior and
            neural mechanisms by focusing on adaptiveness and the environmental
            pressures that led to their evolution--this is called the FUNCTIONAL
            APPROACH. And biopsychologists often try to learn about the
            behaviors and neural mechanisms of one species, usually humans, by
            studying the behaviors and neural mechanisms of related species--
            this is called the COMPARATIVE APPROACH."

            By the way, only one of the links came up for me. It was from the
            Common Dreams News Center and the topic: "Cheney Speaks to the
            Reptile Brain." I enjoyed the article because of the detailed
            explanations it gave of what are and how the "THREE" brains worked
            (versus FOUR), and I also liked the examples the article gave by
            using Cheney's three-brain trickery (triple-speak?).

            On another note: Did you hear about the person who was a dyslexic,
            an agnostic, and an insomniac--he stays awake every night wondering
            if there really is a doG.

            Prometheus

            EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "prometheus_973"
            > <prometheus_973@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi Leigh,
            > >
            > > I looked at the link, and wasn't too impressed with their
            > > credentials or the explanination of the four brains. Neither am
            > > surprised to see another organization looking to make a buck.
            Did
            > > you see the cost of those feel-good workshops! Actually, I saw
            > > plenty of these groups even before Eckankar and they all have
            their
            > > own gimmick to pull people in... just like P.T
            > >
            > > One reason for Klemp moving the Eckankar headquarters out of
            > > California was too much of this sort of influence. Of course,
            the
            > > other reason is that Minnesota (unlike California) has a privacy
            > law
            > > for Non-profit organizations so that their finances are not
            public
            > > record and available for scruntiny.
            > >
            > > Prometheus
            > >

            > > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
            > > <lgrif@m...> wrote:
            > > > Hi:
            > > > What I mean, is these things aren't coming from outer
            > space.
            > > We're (in effect)
            > > > "haunting" ourselves with outpicturings and manifestations of
            our
            > > own fears, paranoias,
            > > > and hysterias. And I'm going to try the link one more time to
            see
            > > if it comes up (this time)
            > > > as a link.
            > > >

            > > http://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-brains.html
            > > >

            > > > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
            > manifestations,
            > > it.
          • l2eigh
            Message 5 of 6 , May 12, 2005
              Hi:
              Yeah, the enteric nervous system is an orphan. No one wants to
              claim it. Yet we reckon
              four kinds of karma (daily, fate, reserve, primal), four centers in
              tantric meditation, four
              dimensions along the Hara Line, not to mention mind realization, self
              realization, spiritual
              realization, God realization, also consciousness, awareness, purpose,
              freedom, and much,
              much more based on our relationsip to what? The reptilian, mammalian,
              and neocortical
              systems alone? But really, Prometheus, I feel like Sisyphus about
              this. This is not a thread I
              wanted to start. I just wanted to say I think we outpicture and
              manifest all the things
              people are going on about including our inner experiences in the case
              of those folks
              who've experienced those all their lives.