species

  • l2eigh
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2005
      "Reptilian", and so on, come from this http
      ://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-
      brains.html . The experiences... outpicturings, manifestations,
      inner experiences or a
      person's choice of behavior, come from within ourselves. We do it.
      Based on this
    • l2eigh
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2005
        Hi:
        What I mean, is these things aren't coming from outer space. We're (in effect)
        "haunting" ourselves with outpicturings and manifestations of our own fears, paranoias,
        and hysterias. And I'm going to try the link one more time to see if it comes up (this time)
        as a link.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2005
          Hi Leigh,

          I looked at the link, and wasn't too impressed with their
          credentials or the explanination of the four brains. Neither am I
          surprised to see another organization looking to make a buck. Did
          you see the cost of those feel-good workshops! Actually, I saw
          plenty of these groups even before Eckankar and they all have their
          own gimmick to pull people in... just like P.T

          One reason for Klemp moving the Eckankar headquarters out of
          California was too much of this sort of influence. Of course, the
          other reason is that Minnesota (unlike California) has a privacy law
          for Non-profit organizations so that their finances are not public
          record and available for scruntiny.

          Prometheus

          <lgrif@m...> wrote:
          > Hi:
          > What I mean, is these things aren't coming from outer space.
          We're (in effect)
          > "haunting" ourselves with outpicturings and manifestations of our
          own fears, paranoias,
          > and hysterias. And I'm going to try the link one more time to see
          if it comes up (this time)
          > as a link.

          http://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-brains.html

          > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
          <lgrif@m...> wrote:
          > > "Reptilian", and so on, come from this http
          > > ://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-
          > > brains.html . The experiences... outpicturings, manifestations,
          > > inner experiences or a
          > > person's choice of behavior, come from within ourselves. We do
          it.
          > > Based on this
        • l2eigh
          Message 4 of 6 , May 12, 2005
            Hi Prometheus:
            Yeah, I thought about that, using that
            link. Even if I had the money and
            time to travel for workshops like those I wouldn't. So... right
            message, wrong messenger.
            My point is as to how what I was talking about are outpicturings and
            so on of our own, not
            coming from "out there" but from within. Individually, and
            particularly collectively. I'm
            sorry you don't like the explanation of the four "brains". The
            enteric nervous system
            (somatic "brain", the one in the gut), the reptilian brain (brainstem
            and associated systems,
            limbic (mammalian) brain, and neocortex in its recognized "sections"
            (anterior and
            posterior lobes, midbrain, and temporal lobes) are recognized by
            boilogy, science and
            medicine. I can remember some of it from studying Anthropology 101
            way back when.
            And there's some general recognition of correspondence between
            biology and
            psychology... how we respond to these systems we're walking around
            with/in, whether
            we're aware of them as part of our actual physical makeup at the
            roots, as cause, or not.
            I'll put in some other links. Some good, some not so good. But which
            give a short
            illustration of what I mean. The site The Brain from Top to Bottom is
            particularly good and
            fairly extensive. If the link doesn't work you "Google' or "Yahoo!"
            it, get it in a search.

            http://www.thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/d/d_05/d_05_cr
            /d_05_cr_her/d_05_cr_her.

            htmhttp://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:L59EbghU7S
            UJ:vanat.cvm.umn.edu/
            NeuroLectPDFs/LectCerebralCortex.pdf+six+layers+of+the+neocortex&hl=en

            Message 5 of 6 , May 12, 2005
              Hi Leigh,

              Yes, I once took a course on biopsychology and still have my book!
              There are many more areas of the brain than what have been listed,
              but it really isn't necessary to go in to such detail. However, let
              me give a quote that supports the scientific research and
              understanding of the brain as a whole (including the brain stem).
              I'm still not certain if one can narrow it down (simplify it) to
              a "four" brain approach, but maybe this approach helps to visualize
              and give a glimpse of the process with an understandable explanation
              for the lay person.

              "Conclusion... you have been confronted by two indisputable facts of
              life: (1) You and I and all other living animals are the cumulative
              products of 600 million years of adaptation; (2) We humans are
              related to all other animal species--in some cases, more closely
              than we like to admit. Pondering the implications of these truths
              can be humbling, but that is not why I introduced them here. I
              introduced them because their pervasive influence on
              biopsychological research. Biopsychologists often study behavior and
              neural mechanisms by focusing on adaptiveness and the environmental
              pressures that led to their evolution--this is called the FUNCTIONAL
              APPROACH. And biopsychologists often try to learn about the
              behaviors and neural mechanisms of one species, usually humans, by
              studying the behaviors and neural mechanisms of related species--
              this is called the COMPARATIVE APPROACH."

              By the way, only one of the links came up for me. It was from the
              Common Dreams News Center and the topic: "Cheney Speaks to the
              Reptile Brain." I enjoyed the article because of the detailed
              explanations it gave of what are and how the "THREE" brains worked
              (versus FOUR), and I also liked the examples the article gave by
              using Cheney's three-brain trickery (triple-speak?).

              On another note: Did you hear about the person who was a dyslexic,
              an agnostic, and an insomniac--he stays awake every night wondering
              if there really is a doG.

              Prometheus

              EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "prometheus_973"
              > <prometheus_973@y...> wrote:
              > > Hi Leigh,
              > >
              > > I looked at the link, and wasn't too impressed with their
              > > credentials or the explanination of the four brains. Neither am
              > > surprised to see another organization looking to make a buck.
              Did
              > > you see the cost of those feel-good workshops! Actually, I saw
              > > plenty of these groups even before Eckankar and they all have
              their
              > > own gimmick to pull people in... just like P.T
              > >
              > > One reason for Klemp moving the Eckankar headquarters out of
              > > California was too much of this sort of influence. Of course,
              the
              > > other reason is that Minnesota (unlike California) has a privacy
              > law
              > > for Non-profit organizations so that their finances are not
              public
              > > record and available for scruntiny.
              > >
              > > Prometheus
              > >

              > > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
              > > <lgrif@m...> wrote:
              > > > Hi:
              > > > What I mean, is these things aren't coming from outer
              > space.
              > > We're (in effect)
              > > > "haunting" ourselves with outpicturings and manifestations of
              our
              > > own fears, paranoias,
              > > > and hysterias. And I'm going to try the link one more time to
              see
              > > if it comes up (this time)
              > > > as a link.
              > > >

              > > http://www.seishindo.org/articles/four-brains.html
              > > >

              > > > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"
              > manifestations,
              > > it.
            • l2eigh
              Message 6 of 6 , May 12, 2005
                Hi:
                Yeah, the enteric nervous system is an orphan. No one wants to
                claim it. Yet we reckon
                four kinds of karma (daily, fate, reserve, primal), four centers in
                tantric meditation, four
                dimensions along the Hara Line, not to mention mind realization, self
                realization, spiritual
                realization, God realization, also consciousness, awareness, purpose,
                freedom, and much,
                much more based on our relationsip to what? The reptilian, mammalian,
                and neocortical
                systems alone? But really, Prometheus, I feel like Sisyphus about
                this. This is not a thread I
                wanted to start. I just wanted to say I think we outpicture and
                manifest all the things
                people are going on about including our inner experiences in the case
                of those folks
                who've experienced those all their lives.