Re: Question about Joe Sykes, web blogs and eckankrap resesarch

  • ctecvie
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2005
      <mishmisha9@y...> wrote:

      > I agree that manipulators do have mental disorders, and it >is
      > not surprising to know that HK has dealt with his own mental
      >health
      > problems. The expert manipulators can be quite captivating and
      > people will fall for their bs. The thing about orgs like Eckankar
      >is
      > that some people search out a belief system in which they think
      >they
      > will be safe and cared for--they surrender their problems to a
      > master. They think that if they practice the teachings, read all
      >the
      > dogma, become active in the group, that all will be well for them--
      > whatever problems they had when joining an org like eckankar will
      > vanish.

      #### It's like buying everlasting happiness. This seems to be the
      same thing in any religious group. They become active in the group,
      practice the dogma, make donations - and, in the case of Eckists,
      think that their karma will vanish. When they have a hard time, then
      it's so comforting to say "I'm burning my karma", and when all is
      well, it's the mahanta's protection.

      > They truly believe that this "new" religion helps them and
      > they feel better, perhaps happier, than ever before. However, the
      > truth is they just put their problems aside, they didn't really
      >take
      > care of them or resolve them. The smiles so many of these people
      > wear are really more like grimaces.

      ####About a year or so before I left, I looked at the pictures in
      the mystic world, and I thought the smiles looked so artificial!
      Then my husband said that HK's pictures looked so artificial, too -
      but it was too early for me to see and admit that! I didn't dare to!
      But did you ever see that tooth - it's longer than the others, and
      it looks just awful. It makes the photos even more artificial.

      > These individuals want a master
      > so they don't have to think for themselves or be responsible--they
      > basically want to drop out from their worldly problems and life.

      ####That's another trap - happiness in the afterlife! Sounds quite
      like Catholicism HK so fights against!

      > Manipulators are always available to meet these needs of
      >individuals
      > who prefer being led rather than taking care of business for
      > themselves.

      #### On top of that, it's the "you can all check out yourselves and
      prove it to yourselves" is the most perfidious trap of all in
      Eckankar.

      A note to Liz - I enjoy your posts very much, too! A book would be
      great - but I understand that you don't want to write one! :-)