Re: Hi Mish

    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2005
      Yes, we are agreeing that it is all opinion--yours, mine and
      everyone's! : ) I like that you have dropped your "penny into the
      jar!" I certainly like dropping in a few of my own, as you have
      noted. The part you mention about TV selling products--well, sure,
      it wouldn't be on there for "free." But I rather liked the old TV
      commercials, and some ads today are pretty good too. It is an art
      form! And like everything else we are exposed to, we have to be
      mindful of what the "selling game" is and how we can be duped into
      believing something for the personal gain of others--products and
      ideas.

      I remember when my son was about 4 years old, he wanted a particular
      pair of sneakers he had seen advertized on TV. The sneakers were a
      brand of shoe I would have purchased for him anyway, but I found it
      interesting how he noticed the ad. So, finally, I purchased him the
      shoes and he was quite excited! He put them on and immediately ran
      outside to try them. Shortly, however, he came back to me saying the
      shoes did not work. I couldn't figure out why he was so disappointed
      in them, until he said he had tried to jump over a bush like he saw
      a little boy do in the commercial ad on TV--he said he couldn't jump
      high enough over the bush in our yard as he had seen on TV! Well,
      this was a nice little lesson for my son as I explained he couldn't
      believe everything he saw on TV, in particular in commercials, as it
      was just ways to get people to buy things.

      I do think there are good programs on TV. Presently, I enjoy Medium
      and Joan of Arcadia. I also like many of the reality shows--just
      interesting to see how people react/behave under testing
      circumstances. I'm not sure that TV is a total vast wasteland, but
      again one must use discrimination about how it is used and how much.
      Book writing used to be quite a refined art, but anyone can write a
      book and get it published today. There is a nice business in self-
      publishing. And ghost writers are readily available. Just because
      someone has written/published an informative book, doesn't mean it
      is valid/true. It may just be a gimmick to sell a product just as
      easily as TV commercials are selling. I can see many books as brain
      suckers too--well, actually, brain washing devices.

      As to internet groups, it is difficult when you don't know the
      individuals personally. But yet I have felt comfortable enough at
      times to meet people on personal levels and become friends. Sharing
      ideas/opinions can be helpful in many ways. The only problem is when
      you lose your personal identity or feel controlled by another's
      beliefs/opinions. As you say, be yourself!

      Thanks, Mish

      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"