Hi Mish

  • l2eigh
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2005
      I think we're on the same page as far as what you say in your
      post. I'm brand new to this
      group, saw a lot of posts about HCS and thought I'd drop my penny
      into the jar. The
      internet is like a big mirror. People go on line looking for a
      reflection of themselves in
      various ways. Then some learn they can put their own stuff on the web
      and this lights their
      fuse. Because now there's absolutely a reflection of themselves on
      the 'net and an
      EXtremely public one. That not only they can see (and I believe they
      get an ENormous kick,
      punch, boost out of this and tune in again and again just to see
      themselves) ... that not
      only they can see but everyone in the public domain can
      (theoretically) see as well and I
      believe this is a huge rush and pump for them as well. You know,
      people talk about the
      internet as a great tool for communication, some even think it's
      going to bring about the
      next great leap in enlightnenment, spiritual unfoldment. I don't
      think so. Just like T.V. is
      supposed to have great teaching (educational) potential. Rubbish.
      It's never happened.
      T.V. in the main, as you know, is a great wasteland.... what do they
      say today? 250, 350
      channels and "nothing's on"? I don't mean to be pessimistic, because
      I'm not a pessimist.
      Some times I just want to sit down and have my brains sucked out of
      me and my time
      wasted. T.V.'s nothing but a commercial medium, and never was
      anything else. Its whole
      purpopse is to sell you stuff, and it just stings entertainment,
      information, or info/
      tainment between assaults on your consciousness to keep you tuned in.
      The 'net is like
      T.V. but with this difference, you can put your own stuff on it as
      well. So the initial
      attraction is the same. You turn it on looking for some reflection of
      yourself, your values,
      so you can ease on down within yourself for a half hour, hour, or
      two. But the net is like
      the ultimate narcissist's mirror. They love it, they've dicovered it,
      and they put themselves
      into it like crazy. So I'm just saying Caveat Emptor, don't take it
      seriously, just have fun,
      and don't expect anything "deep" or meaningful, or even spiritual.
      Still, the only spiritual unfoldment
      you can ever expect to have is in what you do for yourself. No
      group, whether in real life
      or on the internet will ever do that because it can't. Just you be
      you and don't worry about
      other people's opinions. That's the thing about the internet. It's
      ALL opinion.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2005
        Yes, we are agreeing that it is all opinion--yours, mine and
        everyone's! : ) I like that you have dropped your "penny into the
        jar!" I certainly like dropping in a few of my own, as you have
        noted. The part you mention about TV selling products--well, sure,
        it wouldn't be on there for "free." But I rather liked the old TV
        commercials, and some ads today are pretty good too. It is an art
        form! And like everything else we are exposed to, we have to be
        mindful of what the "selling game" is and how we can be duped into
        believing something for the personal gain of others--products and
        ideas.

        I remember when my son was about 4 years old, he wanted a particular
        pair of sneakers he had seen advertized on TV. The sneakers were a
        brand of shoe I would have purchased for him anyway, but I found it
        interesting how he noticed the ad. So, finally, I purchased him the
        shoes and he was quite excited! He put them on and immediately ran
        outside to try them. Shortly, however, he came back to me saying the
        shoes did not work. I couldn't figure out why he was so disappointed
        in them, until he said he had tried to jump over a bush like he saw
        a little boy do in the commercial ad on TV--he said he couldn't jump
        high enough over the bush in our yard as he had seen on TV! Well,
        this was a nice little lesson for my son as I explained he couldn't
        believe everything he saw on TV, in particular in commercials, as it
        was just ways to get people to buy things.

        I do think there are good programs on TV. Presently, I enjoy Medium
        and Joan of Arcadia. I also like many of the reality shows--just
        interesting to see how people react/behave under testing
        circumstances. I'm not sure that TV is a total vast wasteland, but
        again one must use discrimination about how it is used and how much.
        Book writing used to be quite a refined art, but anyone can write a
        book and get it published today. There is a nice business in self-
        publishing. And ghost writers are readily available. Just because
        someone has written/published an informative book, doesn't mean it
        is valid/true. It may just be a gimmick to sell a product just as
        easily as TV commercials are selling. I can see many books as brain
        suckers too--well, actually, brain washing devices.

        As to internet groups, it is difficult when you don't know the
        individuals personally. But yet I have felt comfortable enough at
        times to meet people on personal levels and become friends. Sharing
        ideas/opinions can be helpful in many ways. The only problem is when
        you lose your personal identity or feel controlled by another's
        beliefs/opinions. As you say, be yourself!

        Thanks, Mish

        --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "l2eigh"