St. Patrick's Day, alcohol, and Eckankar

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2005
      Hi All,

      Well, St. Patrick's Day is coming up on March 17th! Is this day
      celebrated in countries other than the U.S. and Ireland? Not until
      recently did I wonder why the Catholic church didn't change this day
      of celebration, for a fictitious saint, to the Saturday after
      Easter. Afterall, Mardi Gras is a celebration before the forty days
      of Lent (like forty Fridays Fast days in a row for Eckists). Why
      does the Catholic church, during Lent, throw in St. Patrick's Day?
      That's like having a 55 mph speed limit on an Interstate highway! I
      guess the Pope isn't infallible either!

      I wonder how many High Initiates actually follow the 1st of the Four
      Zoas in regards to alcohol? I know that HK doesn't follow the 2nd,
      3rd, and 4th Zoas! I'll bet the RESA of Ireland will be having a few
      pints on St. Patty's Day. I spoke to the RESA of that country about
      twenty years ago (probably the same guy) and he told me that he
      takes a drink around the Christmas Holidays to do toasts. It's
      expected around family and friends, and I don't see the harm here
      either. Why alienate people and thumb your nose at them? It's an ego
      thing not a spiritual thing. How about gluttony! Yes, put those
      cookies down all of you enlightened H.I.s! All of the rules,
      guidelines, and even spiritual laws are limiting, and are just used
      to control people.

      So what's the answer? Maybe you needs to figure that out yourself!
      Does one need to be self-disciplined and responsible by taking
      ownership... definitely! Does one need to express positive traits in
      all aspects of life and be more loving? Of course! But, do you need
      to feel guilt or shame when you fall short of your goals? Nope!
      Learn and pay attention to what is going on, how you treat others,
      how you see yourself, and always keep your sense of wonder and
      humor! Spirit is always with us regardless of our membership to any
      religion or belief.

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2005
        Hi, Prometheus!

        Interesting post. But I need to ask you what are the Four Zoas? I
        remember being in a discussion group once at a seminar in which this
        was discussed; however, I really don't remember them. All I recall
        is that if you want to advance spiritually, they must be totally
        obeyed. No exceptions.