RE: Here's an interesting list

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2013

      It's Worth Looking At Again

      --- In eckankarsurvivorsanonymous@yahoogroups.com, <agent46@...> wrote:

      This article is interesting for a few reasons. One, by using the metaphor of spiritually transmitted disease, it inadvertently points out the enormous weakness of the hierarchical guru model around which the eckankar corporation has fabricated a mysticism and developed a modern product - complete with an ultimate redeemer and his enforcers. No need to explain why that sells these days - particularly in third world countries.

      Here's what I mean. The whole 21st century re-visioning of the guru model that eckankar uses on its worldwide customers was an epidemic waiting to happen. Due to the streamlined nature of devotee subservience in the top-down ziggurat or pyramid model - if the only source of the Word (the anointed front man) is infected with either gum disease or an std, the entire down-line of distributors is almost immediately likewise infected. Bad for business.

      This is a metaphor of course, and I'm joking a little, but it illustrates what happens with these old religious dogmas of godmen and their hierarchies.

      Basically, if people still have a need for the so-called spiritual in their lives that isn't fulfilled by perseverance, self-perception, love and their own spirit, then likely they'll seek something else in the marketplace - psychologically susceptible to prophets, masters, gurus and their many obsessions.

> [...]
      >
      > 9. The Chosen-People Complex: The chosen people complex is not limited to Jews. It is the belief that "Our group is more spiritually evolved, powerful, enlightened and, simply put, better than any other group." There is an important distinction between the recognition that one has found the right path, teacher or community for themselves, and having found The One.
      >
      > 10. The Deadly Virus: "I Have Arrived": This disease is so potent that it has the capacity to be terminal and deadly to our spiritual evolution. This is the belief that "I have arrived" at the final goal of the spiritual path. Our spiritual progress ends at the point where this belief becomes crystallized in our psyche, for the moment we begin to believe that we have reached the end of the path, further growth ceases.
      >
      > "The essence of love is perception," according to the teachings of Marc Gafni, "Therefore the essence of self love is self perception. You can only fall in love with someone you can see clearly--including yourself. To love is to have eyes to see. It is only when you see yourself clearly that you can begin to love yourself."
      >
      > It is in the spirit of Marc's teaching that I believe that a critical part of learning discernment on the spiritual path is discovering the pervasive illnesses of ego and self-deception that are in all of us. That is when we need a sense of humor and the support of real spiritual friends. As we face our obstacles to spiritual growth, there are times when it is easy to fall into a sense of despair and self-diminishment and lose our confidence on the path. We must keep the faith, in ourselves and in others, in order to really make a difference in this world."
      >
      > Adapted from Eyes Wide Open: Cultivating Discernment on the Spiritual Path (Sounds True)
      >
      > "robokidnx" <agent46@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Eckankar is a corporation with all the self-serving, self-preserving DNA of any modern Machiavellian corporate institution. Its only product is systematic indoctrination into a kind of hierarchical religious mysticism and dogma that are (conveniently) highly compatible with neo-liberal capitalism and social Darwinism.
      > >
      > > Enough years have passed now and enough customers have been injured and mislead for the jury to come back with a clear verdict.
      > >
      > > Here's an article featuring a list of "spiritual sicknesses" that are, in fact, treated as features of the eckankar product by those who live and die by their brand loyalty. The product is comparable to adulterated fast food, but some people still buy and consume it.

    • postekcon
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2013

         Yes, even simpler way of looking at this org is that it's a publishing company, always has been. It began with IWP (illuminated way press) and for many years the corp even ran its own on-site printing presses.

        On this other side of the coin, the Paul Twitchell material etc could be seen as incidental! A nice little cozy niche market.

        As the saying goes, 'follow the money'. And the money is in the publishing!

        -Postekcon