Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Re: Review of The Karma Seeker

  • Stefan G. Meyer
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8, 2013
      The book will be available for free Kindle download on amazon.com for five days from April 29 through May 3. However, I'd also be willing to send a copy as an e-mail attachment in Word or PDF format in exchange for a fair and impartial review.

      Stefan

      Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 5:54 PM
      Subject: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Re: Review of The Karma Seeker

      Hello All,
      Thanks Stephan for
      the review that mentions
      the League (Eckankar).

      The person who wrote
      that review is also an
      author of the below
      book on Amazon.com

      http://www.amazon.com/On-Being-God-Beyond-Purpose/dp/1439244847

      On page 2 he writes:
      "Outside of rational awareness,
      science fails to explain anything
      mysterious or that which falls
      outside of that awareness."

      Actually, I'm not so sure that
      this is true. We have a rational
      awareness that there are still
      stars in the sky when the sun
      is shining, but lately science
      has come to know more about
      mysterious Black Holes and this
      information falls outside of our
      own awareness.

      However, his book does look
      interesting, although, it sounds
      like a modern remake regarding
      the thoughts and perspectives
      of Eastern religious leaders of
      the distant past... Ramakrishna
      for one. Except, with Ramakrishna
      balance was not a key approach
      to seeking God. One is to have
      a yearning for God as a jobless
      man has a yearning for work...
      yearning is all you need to have
      in order to realize Him (paraphrased).

      In any case "The Karma Seeker"
      looks like it gives an interesting
      look at the mindset of Eckists.
      I haven't read the book and don't
      plan on buying it. If it becomes
      available online for free I'd give
      it a critique.

      Prometheus

      Stefan G. Meyer" wrote:

      Prometheus:

      Got an unsolicited review of
      The Karma Seeker the other
      day.

      Thought you might be interested
      in what he says about the book.
      http://amzn.to/ZnZ6jX

      Stefan

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 9, 2013
        I don't want to say that
        I have a closed mind
        about all of this "spiritual"
        stuff but it does make
        one wonder about credibility.

        We've all been burned by
        cons and conmen of various
        sorts selling various concoctions
        of snake oil.

        I do know that religions
        are a farce created by men
        and that "God" was created
        in their image. A litmus test
        for religion is to see if women
        (half the population) are treated
        as equals to men. This is a
        definite sign that indicates
        that it is a false religion. Sure,
        the men have their ancient
        scripture and explanations
        why it's all for and by men
        but God would never allow
        that to be true.

        Just as Adam Dream Healer
        is a con there are people
        everywhere desperate to
        make a living by using their
        wits (street smarts) or educational
        credentials and awards that
        are seeking out a larger audience
        of suckers. Some of these
        people have actually deluded
        themselves into believing
        the spiel, but this helps them
        to be more convincing as well.
        Klemp is one of these people
        and he's found his little niche
        with Eckankar. Anyway here's
        what Stefan Meyer is into:

        http://www.karma-seeker.com/ancient_science_cards.php

        The Ancient Science of Cards,
        btw, mine is the King of Diamonds!

        So, it sounds kind of like The
        Ancient Science of Soul Travel.
        It's not Tarot or Astrology and
        it's not psychic. It's an ancient
        mystery science that goes back
        to ancient Atlantis. Therefore, it
        has to be true. It can't be a con
        nor pretend or wishful thinking.
        Right?

        Prometheus

        Prometheus wrote:
        > Hello All,
        > Thanks Stephan for
        > the review that mentions
        > the League (Eckankar).
        >
        > The person who wrote
        > that review is also an
        > author of the below
        > book on Amazon.com
        >
        > http://www.amazon.com/On-Being-God-Beyond-Purpose/dp/1439244847
        >
        > On page 2 he writes:
        > "Outside of rational awareness,
        > science fails to explain anything
        > mysterious or that which falls
        > outside of that awareness."
        >
        > Actually, I'm not so sure that
        > this is true. We have a rational
        > awareness that there are still
        > stars in the sky when the sun
        > is shining, but lately science
        > has come to know more about
        > mysterious Black Holes and this
        > information falls outside of our
        > own awareness.
        >
        > However, his book does look
        > interesting, although, it sounds
        > like a modern remake regarding
        > the thoughts and perspectives
        > of Eastern religious leaders of
        > the distant past... Ramakrishna
        > for one. Except, with Ramakrishna
        > balance was not a key approach
        > to seeking God. One is to have
        > a yearning for God as a jobless
        > man has a yearning for work...
        > yearning is all you need to have
        > in order to realize Him (paraphrased).
        >
        > In any case "The Karma Seeker"
        > looks like it gives an interesting
        > look at the mindset of Eckists.
        > I haven't read the book and don't
        > plan on buying it. If it becomes
        > available online for free I'd give
        > it a critique.
        >
        > Prometheus
        >
        > Stefan G. Meyer" wrote:
        >
        > Prometheus:
        >
        > Got an unsolicited review of
        > The Karma Seeker the other
        > day.
        >
        > Thought you might be interested
        > in what he says about the book.
        > http://amzn.to/ZnZ6jX
        >
        > Stefan

      • harrisonferrel
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 9, 2013
          EXACTLY!!

          This proves my point. Look at the misogynistic writings of Twitchell; only a man can hold the rod of power and be the Mahanta. More bullshit from the minds of humans.

          And, regarding Atlantis, I'd recommend watching Brittany Hughes on the BBC. She has a great special on Atlantis. Not a great mystery really.

          However, if you are always looking for the mysterious then you'll be a deer in the headlights every time someone says something fantastic that's beyond your knowledge base. eckists are way too gullible and NEVER check facts when Harold vomits out his litany of lies.

          > Hello All,
> [...]
        • etznab18
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 13, 2013
            http://tinyurl.com/ccwha6m

            --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "harrisonferrel" <harrisonferrel@...> wrote:

            > EXACTLY!!
            >
            > This proves my point. Look at the misogynistic writings of Twitchell; only a man can hold the rod of power and be the Mahanta. More bullshit from the minds of humans.
            >
            > And, regarding Atlantis, I'd recommend watching Brittany Hughes on the BBC. She has a great special on Atlantis. Not a great mystery really.
            >
            > However, if you are always looking for the mysterious then you'll be a deer in the headlights every time someone says something fantastic that's beyond your knowledge base. eckists are way too gullible and NEVER check facts when Harold vomits out his litany of lies.

> [...]
          • etznab18
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 13, 2013
              I am curious about the year that Stephan started to write his book. It seems that he did interview a number of Eckists in the past and those interviews remain linked to "The Spiritual Traveller" site.

              http://www.spiritualtraveler.com/spiritual_traveler/interviews.asp

              So I was just curious. If he is not an active Eckankar member, what year did that happen?

              --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "etznab18" <etznab@...> wrote:

              > http://tinyurl.com/ccwha6m
              >
              > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "harrisonferrel" <harrisonferrel@> wrote:
              > >
              > > EXACTLY!!
              > >
              > > This proves my point. Look at the misogynistic writings of Twitchell; only a man can hold the rod of power and be the Mahanta. More bullshit from the minds of humans.
              > >
              > > And, regarding Atlantis, I'd recommend watching Brittany Hughes on the BBC. She has a great special on Atlantis. Not a great mystery really.
              > >
              > > However, if you are always looking for the mysterious then you'll be a deer in the headlights every time someone says something fantastic that's beyond your knowledge base. eckists are way too gullible and NEVER check facts when Harold vomits out his litany of lies.

> [...]
            • etznab18
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 13, 2013
                The Spiritual Resources link includes Eckankar and Doug Marman's site Spiritual Dialogues Project. So I am still not for certain what this person's current affiliation with "The League" is now.

                Granted, the Web pages are from 2012.

              • Diana Stanley
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 13, 2013
                  women will never be Masters this goes for maost religions. I quess because women don't have a rod powerful or other wise
                  Diana

                • etznab18
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 13, 2013
                    In the Vedas, Kundalini is addressed as a goddess. She is Vak, the
                    deity of speech. And in Egyptian, Messi (messiah) is the name of a
                    serpent designated the "Sacred Word" (Logos).

                    http://www.kundaliniresearch.org/moses.html

                    According to well-known teacher and translator Eknath Easwaran,
                    kundalini means "the coiled power," a force which ordinarily rests at
                    the base of the spine, described as being coiled there like a
                    serpent.[11] The concept can be found under different names. For
                    example the 8th century Tantrasadbhava Tantra uses the term kundali
                    ("she who is ring-shaped").[12]

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Etymology

                    I guess it depends on what you mean by "rod". If rod is symbolic for
                    the spine, or conduit, then women have "rods" too. And the spine is a
                    "rod" which channels energy to the head and brain. Women and men both
                    have these.

                    What does the phrase "Rod of Power" really mean? Power suggests Shakti,
                    IMO. I would even go far as say there can be no "rod" without "energy",
                    or "power". For example, can a double helix of DNA form without
                    "energy"? Can an atom maintain it's form without energy? Can a man even
                    be born without a womb and matrix to feed it energy?

                    Just saying :)

                    <harrisonferrel@...> wrote:

                    > EXACTLY!!
                    >
                    > This proves my point. Look at the misogynistic writings of
                    Twitchell; only a man can hold the rod of power and be the Mahanta.
                    More bullshit from the minds of humans.

                    > And, regarding Atlantis, I'd recommend watching Brittany Hughes on
                    the BBC. She has a great special on Atlantis. Not a great mystery
                    really.

                    > However, if you are always looking for the mysterious then you'll
                    be a deer in the headlights every time someone says something fantastic
                    that's beyond your knowledge base. eckists are way too gullible and
                    NEVER check facts when Harold vomits out his litany of lies.

> [...]
                  • noneckchains
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 13, 2013
                      I think she is referring to "Rod" in the patriarchal sense of the male organ, known by some as an erect penis...:) I believe it is true that in religion generally, males have had the power and have attempted to keep women in their place, although sometimes brainwashed women also preach the same thing and apparently wish to be subservient to males. Earth based religions may be different,in that women have often had an equal or even a major role in society.

                      "Rod of Power" I suppose could have different meanings and kundalini energy and the spine is interesting. I don't recall "Rod of Power" being defined this way in eckankar though.

                      Non ;)

                      > In the Vedas, Kundalini is addressed as a goddess. She is Vak, the
                      > deity of speech. And in Egyptian, Messi (messiah) is the name of a
                      > serpent designated the "Sacred Word" (Logos).
                      >
                      > http://www.kundaliniresearch.org/moses.html
                      >
                      > According to well-known teacher and translator Eknath Easwaran,
                      > kundalini means "the coiled power," a force which ordinarily rests at
                      > the base of the spine, described as being coiled there like a
                      > serpent.[11] The concept can be found under different names. For
                      > example the 8th century Tantrasadbhava Tantra uses the term kundali
                      > ("she who is ring-shaped").[12]
                      >
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Etymology
                      >
                      > I guess it depends on what you mean by "rod". If rod is symbolic for
                      > the spine, or conduit, then women have "rods" too. And the spine is a
                      > "rod" which channels energy to the head and brain. Women and men both
                      > have these.
                      >
                      > What does the phrase "Rod of Power" really mean? Power suggests Shakti,
                      > IMO. I would even go far as say there can be no "rod" without "energy",
                      > or "power". For example, can a double helix of DNA form without
                      > "energy"? Can an atom maintain it's form without energy? Can a man even
                      > be born without a womb and matrix to feed it energy?
                      >
                      > Just saying :)

                    • etznab18
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 14, 2013
                        "Rod of Power" I suppose could have different meanings and kundalini
                        energy and the spine is interesting. I don't recall "Rod of Power"
                        being defined this way in eckankar though.

                        I'm not sure there is much description in Eckankar. However, here is
                        what Paul Twitchell's dictionary said:

                        ROD OF POWER The power of the Word of God which is given to that being
                        who has been chosen, by the ECK as it descends and enters into the new
                        Master; the power which makes him the actual manifestation of God at
                        the rites of the initiation of accepting the Rod of ECK Power; the
                        power of the Mahanta consciousness.

                        One of my earlier quotes from the Internet read:

                        In the Vedas, Kundalini is addressed as a goddess. She is Vak, the
                        deity of speech. And in Egyptian, Messi (messiah) is the name of a
                        serpent designated the "Sacred Word" (Logos).

                        So Eckankar has "The power of the Word of God ... ."

                        If one looks at the section entitled Christ the Logos it reads as if
                        the "Word" is masculine.

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos#Christ_the_Logos

                        This is not the case in all religions. In Hinduism the power of
                        creation is often associated with a Goddess. Example, Prakriti.

                        Prakrti or Prakriti or Prakruti (from Sanskrit language प्रकृति,
                        prakṛti) means "nature".[1] It is, according to Hinduism, the basic
                        nature of intelligence by which the Universe exists and functions. It
                        is described in Bhagavad Gita as the "primal motive force". It is the
                        essential constituent of the universe and is at the basis of all the
                        activity of the creation.

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prakriti

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 14, 2013
                          Hello Non and All,
                          I really don't see that
                          "women have often
                          had an equal or even
                          a major role in society."
                          Major role yes, equal
                          role no. Women are
                          unequals in government,
                          business, and religion.
                          50% of the population
                          are women but they aren't
                          represented, proportionately,
                          in high office. It's a private
                          boy's club. Just look at
                          the Master's Golf Tournament
                          as well as the Augusta
                          Country Club memberships.
                          And, let's not forget that
                          Black men had the right
                          to vote before all women.

                          Prometheus
                          p.s. What does "Earth based
                          religions may be different"
                          mean?
                          All religions are manmade
                          and their God was created in
                          man's own physical and/or
                          mental image.
                          If there were more advanced
                          civilizations out there in the
                          universes, which there probably
                          are, I would doubt very much
                          that they believe in religion.

                          etznab@... wrote:

                          > In the Vedas, Kundalini is addressed as a goddess. She is Vak, the
                          > deity of speech. And in Egyptian, Messi (messiah) is the name of a
                          > serpent designated the "Sacred Word" (Logos).

                          http://www.kundaliniresearch.org/moses.html

                          > According to well-known teacher and translator Eknath Easwaran,
                          > kundalini means "the coiled power," a force which ordinarily rests at
                          > the base of the spine, described as being coiled there like a
                          > serpent.[11] The concept can be found under different names. For
                          > example the 8th century Tantrasadbhava Tantra uses the term kundali
                          > ("she who is ring-shaped").[12]

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Etymology

                          > I guess it depends on what you mean by "rod". If rod is symbolic for
                          > the spine, or conduit, then women have "rods" too. And the spine is a
                          > "rod" which channels energy to the head and brain. Women and men both
                          > have these.
                          >
                          > What does the phrase "Rod of Power" really mean? Power suggests Shakti,
                          > IMO. I would even go far as say there can be no "rod" without "energy",
                          > or "power". For example, can a double helix of DNA form without
                          > "energy"? Can an atom maintain it's form without energy? Can a man even
                          > be born without a womb and matrix to feed it energy?
                          >
                          > Just saying :)
                        • noneckchains
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 15, 2013
                            Prometheus,

                            Your quote of me is taken out of context and I wasn't speaking of the present time, necessarily. I'm a little confused by your response, to be honest. Anyway....

                            I think I was referring to some Earth Based religion or spirituality, such as Native American, in which there is an emphasis on "Mother Earth" and a relationship and reverence for Nature as sacred, a desire to live in harmony and respect for life. Of course some of this may be stereotypes, and not true in all cases. I recall a documentary about Natives, in which women had the final say in major decisions. At the same time, there were roles to be played by women and men. Another documentary, The Burning Times, shows how there was an attempt to destroy any remnant of a strong role for women in spirituality and culture, as the patriarchal Churches became extremely entrenched in the further subjugation of women. But the film does point to a time in which women, in usually Earth Based spirituality, did seem to have a more equal footing.

                            I admit that what I have written is kind of sketchy and that I have not provided specific sources. I will just say that I personally, tend to identify with a more Nature form of spirituality, that does not necessarily have an anthropomorphized "God".

                            Non ;)

                            P.S. here is one source on ancient Celtic society and women.

                            http://www.celtlearn.org/pdfs/women.pdf

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 15, 2013
                              Hello Non,
                              Oh, okay. I thought