question

  • jjamie1977
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
      truth decider (or anyone else who knows), i am interested in reading
      early writings of paul twitchell. i have a copy of tiger's fang,
      letters to gail (vol I) , and difficulties of becoming the eck master.
      would these 3 pretty much capture the mind set, etc of twitchell at
      that time? where can i find a list, for example, of twitchell writings
      (chronological)? and where might i find copies of some of his early
      contriubutions to journals where he discussed his ideas concerning the
      cliff hanger, eckankar philosophy, etc.

      thanks for any info, jamie....
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2005
        Hi Jamie,

        The Letters to Gail Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 might also help. Three was
        eventually banded because of the "psychic" material in the book, but
        I don't think that's exactly true. There's also "THE WAY OF ECKANKAR
        SERIES" (page 33 gives a 1966 date) and "ECKANKAR: Illuminated Way
        Letters 1966-1971" (copyright 1975, Gail Twitchell Gross)
        and "Eckankar: Compiled Writings Volume I" (copyright 1975, Gail T.
        Gross). All of these are written by Twitchell.

        Prometheus

        jamie wrote:
        > truth decider (or anyone else who knows), i am interested in
        reading early writings of paul twitchell. i have a copy of tiger's
        fang, letters to gail (vol I) , and difficulties of becoming the eck
        master. would these 3 pretty much capture the mind set, etc of
        twitchell at that time? where can i find a list, for example, of
        twitchell writings (chronological)? and where might i find copies of
        some of his early contriubutions to journals where he discussed his
        ideas concerning the cliff hanger, eckankar philosophy, etc.

        thanks for any info, jamie....
      • zoey_true
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
          years ago, during my eckle days, i travelled a great deal with my
          job. (i think i've mentioned this before). at any rate, i came to be
          familiar with a number of eck communities. it always interested me to
          see how homogeneous they all were. wierd and unhealthy, but
          homogeneous. this is one of the things that encouraged me to go ahead
          and leave the fold. i saw first-hand that the unhealthiness was not
          exclusive to one group, but infected them all.

          now that was years ago, and i'm now in a town and life where no one
          has ever heard of eckankar. but here is my problem, and question: a
          dear friend has a daughter who recently (6 months ago) moved to
          nashville. she is an intelligent, gifted young career woman. she has
          phoned her mother to say that she has joined the most wonderful
          spiritual group -eckankar. i talked to her a bit on the phone, and
          she tells me that the eckists are warm, intelligent, creative,
          caring, etc etc. she feels she has found a family.

          i feel hesitant to say anything, especially since i know nothing
          about the nashville eck community. that's one city i never visited.

          can anyone share? i feel quite worried, i am close to the family.
          are the eckists in nashville superior in some way to most
          communities, or just the same old thing?

          really want to know......zoey
        • tomleafeater
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
            Hi Zoey,

            I've lived in many different cities as an eckist, and although there
            were differences in the local eck communities, usually the same
            tendencies emerge. I did meet a wonderful group of people in one
            community (a small group of friends within the larger group), but I
            was a high initiate, and I'm not certain that my status didn't play a
            large role in that group in how I was treated. But one can meet some
            nice people in eckankar. The problem is that as one progresses, the
            entrappments and enticements begin to be felt, as the climb through
            the initiations gets its grip on the unwary follower. It can produce
            quite a psychological hold on people.

            That feeling of having found a family is often a strong motivator,
            and its possible that feeling arises in people because they feel
            lacking in that kind of closeness, either from their own real family
            or because they're out on their own, alone, or what have you.

            Bottom line: I wouldn't think there will ultimately be a big
            difference in the Nashville group from other groups. So what does one
            do about that? Don't know....

            Send the family some links to David Lane's site? This is a tough one.
            Hard to communicate these facts without offending and appearing to be
            meddling. I guess it depends on the young woman, how close her family
            is to her. The good thing is that she's bound to find the information
            about eckankar on the internet sooner rather than later.

            Sometimes life has to take its course.

            Kent

            --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "zoey_true"

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
              Hi, Zoey!

              Do the parents or the daughter know you are a former eckist?
              You might want to mention that you have been there and done
              that, and then see where the conversation leads from there. I'm
              sure that they will be interested in your experience. It might be
              the parents will be more curious about your insights than the
              daughter. I would suggest that you recommend looking on the
              internet for the pros and cons about eckankar as there is so much
              information easily accessed, including the various chat sites. I'd
              also recommend Ford Johnson's book "Confessions of a God Seeker."

              You are in a situation of finding the balance between sharing too much
              and too little, but if you allow them to ask the questions, you will know
              what it is you need to share.

              I don't know the Nashville community of eckists, but the daughter is
              most likely looking for a new "family" of friends, and this group seems
              to be welcoming her warmly. Hopefully, she will go slowly before
              committing--writing that membership check! As with anything new, it
              needs to be researched no matter how nice appearances seem. I'm sure
              the eckists are genuine in their friendliness--but the teachings and
              committment is another issue.

              Mish