Re: Is klemp a psychopath??

  • harrisonferrel
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 4, 2013
      I think you hit the nail on the head with a couple of things you wrote.

      As a lifelong student of psychology, I know that a person identifies with his/her choices. When people choose to follow eck or any other cult or religion, they have made a statement that involves a commitment of ego. This compels them to be ardent missionaries.

      Regarding sociopaths in training, there is no such thing. Sociopaths/psychopaths suffer from a brain malfunction so they cannot be created through experience. It is primarily a physiological problem and not a psychological one. It seems that both Twitchell and Klemp could be sociopaths, as are many cult leaders.

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 4, 2013
        Hello Harrison and All,
        True. People have responsibility
        to look around at more resources.
        However, Klemp has frightened
        many H.I.s from doing Internet
        research via the dangers of EMF.
        I personally know of two H.I.s
        who have mentioned this EMF/
        computer fear to me.

        One does have to look at the
        overall personalities of those
        who would buy into this fear
        based religion which relies
        upon imagination and pretending
        to be protected by the invisible
        super being called "Mahanta."

        Prometheus

        "harrisonferrel" wrote:
[...]

      • noneckchains
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 5, 2013
          Eckankar is Authoritarian, and anyone who joins, is drawn to Authoritarianism at some level. All of us who joined, did this for a reason that seemed acceptable at the time, even if we only joined for a short period.

          Oh, I don't know, it seems that there are different levels of "Sociopath". I'm not convinced that it is congenital. That would almost be the same as some religious convictions that claim that there is such a thing as a Satan baby, or evil spirits, or the "bad seed". I do not know of an MRI that can identify a Sociopath/Psychopath and that proves that there is a Psychopathic brain from birth, that predicts "natural born killers", etc..

          I think it comes from Cultural influences and how children are mistreated. Alice Miller was able to prove this to a certain extent in her research and writings. The plasticity of the brain may be a factor. The Nazis came to power, for example, because beating children was common and accepted, as well as revering Authority as a great virtue. And yes, the longer one stays in a situation that is like a gang of thugs, the more they become like the leader and that group, in this case, klemp, gross, twitchell. Be careful who you choose to hang out with. If they are bad types, it will start to rub off on you. (tea baggers are a good example) Free thinking isn't really encouraged in the USA, in spite of the hype. I'm pretty sure that my involvement in eckankar and other Cults had to do with being raised to admire authority and believe that you were a good person if you followed the leader, like a good soldier, and also along with the fear of not doing so. It takes dedication, compassion, and study to break away from that mind set, imo. Also, it may take Psychotherapy, or at the very least a group like this.

          Some people do actually change their bad ways. It is possible and can happen, imo. I don't think babies are born hating. At the same time, for some, don't hold your breath. I know of some eckists who sadly will never change, or admit to having done anything wrong, and will continue on 'til the day they die.

          When I say "sociopath in training", I am just referring to what happens over time. The eckist starts to act more and more like the living eck master, following orders, giving orders, preaching lies, harming others, and so on. Social Psychology is a good source for understanding how this happens. Who knows, with brain plasticity there are probably changes. So I don't see this problem as either/or or black and white thinking. Nurture, imo can have a very profound effect on even the most difficult child, if done in the right way. The same may also be true of adults. Our prison system creates more criminals than it reforms. Unfortunately, we still live in a very not compassionate society, imo. If we did, perhaps there would not be so many gullible followers in the first place. (Why? well I don't want to get into a dissertation right now. Maybe later. :) )

> [...]

          > > > When I got into the cult many years ago there was no widely spread information on what a scam it was. David Lane was the only one who exposed eckankar for what it really is. When the internet became a good tool I was able to find out enough to make me buy the original books from which twitchell plagiarized. It took me only a minute of comparing eck writings with those that were stolen to quit the cult and understand that it was all unreliable nonsense. I determined that Klemp was either deluded or a psychopath. Now I think it's the latter. How can you live day in and day out deceiving people if you really have a conscience?

        • Janice Pfeiffer
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 7, 2013
            I agree totally and I believe it is time the government stop sanctioning their parasitic ways by giving them non profit status.

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 7, 2013
              You say you think there are different levels of sociopath. However, this is not a fact; it's speculation based on an opinion, but not science. For a start you can read Martha Stout's book The Sociopath Next Door, then read Robert Hare's work on the subject. There are also good articles written by psychologists online. In fact, Hare has a website with a lot of good information.

              I don't want to be insulting by saying that your opinion is ignorant, but it is not based on science or research. Please read up on sociopathy because you will see how well the eck leaders, including twitchell and klemp fit into this profile.

              Sociopathy is a dysfunction of a portion of the amygdala in the brain. You would have to read about this to fully understand. It is not a psychological problem in the same way as neuroses, etc. If you study what sociopathy is, then you'd understand that this is not a matter of degrees but a matter of absence of a brain function. Certainly there are different manifestations, but you cannot be partially sociopathic. You either have certain traits or you do not. One of them is a lack of remorse and sense of guilt.

              Also, I didn't join eckankar for any authoritarian purpose, as you suggest. Instead, I joined because of a curiosity about out of body experiences. In fact, when I first went to an eck center I thought Twitchell was still the leader. I read two of his books and thought I was onto something. I did not join to become a better person or enlightened being or any of that shit. It was just to further my interest in out of body experiences. When I discovered that Klemp was in charge and listened to what he had to say it rubbed me the wrong way. Still I thought that was my deficiency and I hung in for 12 years but never got involved in the social aspect or the organization.

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 7, 2013
                I myself right now, am dealing with a person whose ways and personality is causing me great concern because she may be a sociopath.  She was married to an individual who definitely was a sociopath.  From what I read. the victim of a sociopath once out of the relationship may act like the sociopath because the pain of what they endured causes them to strike at others and so they use the same techniques as the sociopath.

                In short this is an issue that concerns me greatly at this point.  I love this would be sociopath.  I bounce back and forth thinking she is a sociopath to thinking she is merely acting like one because of the long term exposure to one.  Her actions are painful and detrimental to others for sure.   I am having to create distance with this person because she won't allow healthy interactions with her and takes every opportunity to maim.

                All of you who have knowledge in this area, please give to me what you may know.  In this case, it is very hard for me to be objective.

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 7, 2013
                  I have extensive experience in this field. I would recommend, for starters, that you read The Sociopath Next Door (Martha Stout, PhD). Sociopaths can make us doubt ourselves. They are experts at mimicking real emotions because they have had to learn this behavior from an early age in order to survive in a normal world. They continue to suck you back into a relationship after disagreements. They make you feel like "it must be me because he/she seems so sincere. Surely I must just be too sensitive or judgmental..." The only way to win against a psychopath is to completely disassociate from them without ever starting up again. It's all or nothing. They are parasitic to the nth degree.

                  Further, sociopaths (which is the same thing as psychopaths) often marry narcissists or other sociopaths. Narcissists are similar but do have a degree of real emotionality.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 7, 2013
                    Thank you Harrison,
                    Would a sociopath love animals?  I mean all types.  She is especially fond of sea creatures like dolphins and manatees.  She is an undersea diver.  She has two kittens she takes loving care of.  Most people don't see anything wrong with what she does.  The truth is she is my daughter and I get a lot of abusive treatment from her.  I finally had to put a stop to her angry outbursts.  I told her that I was willing to talk to her about the problems with or with out a therapists.  I got no response.  Toward me, her actions still seemed to be to cause me pain while she still does not admit what she does is wrong.  Although, I am finding it hard to be objective at this time, she comes across like a heartless demon.  Although until about a year ago, we didn't have any problems between us, on several occasions she went out of her way to get even with people she thought wronged her.  Most people would just move on, she seems to get obsessed with revenge.  When I asked why she wanted to hurt people, she simple said because she can.  She has appeared very fragile since she lost her mate and her job about the same time.  It certainly had nothing to do with me but I feel like I am the stand in for the people she can't get at for pay back.  Recently, I informed my children and my daughter in law that the doctor thought I had cancer.  My son and loving daughter in law have been with me every step of the way.   I simply got no response from my daughter and I have heard not a word from her at all although she does stay abreast of what is going on with the other two.  Not one word of comfort or support has she given and looking back, I don't think there were any times that she ever did offer support.  I will get the book and read it.  Any more insight you might have is appreciated.  I didn't intend to get into it because it is a family thing but I need to understand these things.

                    Thanks again

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 7, 2013
                      A psychopath doesn't love. However, they can be attached to pets, things and people. They can display affection or kindness but it's not the same emotion that we feel because they do not have the ability to have this sort of feeling. I have known a couple of sociopaths who have seemed loving and I know one who shows affection to her dogs.

                      A person does not "become" a psychopath through learning or psychological trauma. As I said, it's a deficit of the brain itself. And there are different personalities within the psychopathic model. Some are very passive and even lazy, while others are quite industrious. They can put this industry into revenge.

                      They can be extremely manipulative, but when you don't play along they can go after you and make your life miserable, including lying to people close to you to create a rift between you. They are experts at ruining relationships. Instead of feeling one way or the other, their decisions are more calculated in favor of what benefits them. For this reason they can seem to have happy relationships. But this does, or would, change when the relationship no longer benefits them. In a normal relationship we try to support and offer love to another person even if it inconveniences us or we "get" nothing out of it. Not so with a psychopath. It's all about them.

                      But you would also need to read up on narcissists as well because they are self centered in the same way and can be misidentified for psychopaths.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 7, 2013
                        Thanks Harrison, I have believed for sometime there must be something wrong with her but it is hard to face that when nothing you can remember happening in her developmental life could have created her ways.

                        Finally, it is hard to cut a loved one out of your life.  It helped me to realize that it really had nothing to do with me although she still looks and sounds like my child that I love.

                        You mentioned the lies that break up relationships. I saw some of that too.

                        Thanks again

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 7, 2013
                          I'm not really sure what
                          kind of psychopathy Klemp
                          does have. I'm thinking it's
                          a few overlapping personality
                          disorders and mental illness.
                          He was locked up and then
                          tricked the psychologist to
                          get released early. And then
                          he bragged about it!

                          Does Klemp have Narcissism
                          (NPD)? Yes! Borderline Personality
                          Disorder? Maybe. Arrested
                          Development? Definitely!
                          Is he a liar? Absolutely!

                          HK rationalizes it all away.
                          He's getting what he wants...
                          money, admiration, respect,
                          and sex! Just kidding on that
                          last one!

                          And, Eckists are getting a
                          New Age religion that fulfills
                          their needs and feeds their
                          egos with those glorious
                          initiations. If you're weak-minded
                          like most brain-washed religious
                          fanatics Eckankar presents
                          a good fit except for two things.
                          One flaw is the Mahanta scam
                          and the other is the Initiation
                          scam.

                          If these two definitions were
                          rewritten where the Mahanta
                          was everyone's OverSoul
                          and the initiations were
                          levels acquired within the
                          Eckankar physical org.
                          (and nothing "spiritual")
                          then, this, would be a more
                          acceptable form of insanity.

                          But, I've known Eckists with
                          Bi-polar disorder as well. In
                          actuality, Eckists are just as
                          screwed up as any religious
                          or political fanatic.

                          And, most Eckists buy into
                          the New Age mumbo jumbo
                          of one sort or another and
                          much of this came from Eckankar's
                          stay in California with Twitchell,
                          Gross, and Klemp.

                          Eckists have no special abilities
                          or protection than any other
                          person. They imagine they do
                          but it's all wishful thinking. Yet,
                          they pretend they are special
                          and will see the Mahanta when
                          they "translate" (their page in
                          history). The supposed soul
                          travel and dream travel experiences
                          are supposed to validate this,
                          but Christianity has more of
                          the same kind and even greater
                          experiences (miracles) than
                          Eckists.... even healing!

                          Did you ever see Klemp heal
                          a blind man as 2nd Initiate
                          Jesus did? No! Of course not!
                          Klemp's a fraud!

                          And, did you know that EMF
                          affects H.I.s more than lower
                          initiates (chelas) because the
                          EK H.I. has "finer vibrations."
                          LOL! No, it's true! This is what
                          they actually believe because
                          they read it and it was told to
                          them. How gullible, delusional,
                          and arrogant!

                          I was thinking about why H.I.s
                          tend to be more fearful of
                          computers and I realized this
                          was why... EMF and the finer
                          vibration story. Then, again,
                          many H.I.s are older and would
                          fear computers anyway! They're
                          technologically challenged.

                          Prometheus

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 8, 2013
                            Well said, as usual.

                            It's not possible to diagnose klemp, or anyone, from afar. However, he does exhibit behavior that looks like narcissism or psychopathy. And you're right about his mental problems and how he bragged about them. This should have been a BIG RED FLAG for all of us. This just goes to show how we could all rationalize away what was an obvious psychological problem right before our eyes. Eckists, like other religious zealots, are quick to dismiss or forgive the leader's transgressions and faults.

                            Also, yes to the fact that klemp is a fraud in the fine tradition of twitch and gross. Unless you're a complete delusional psychotic then you know you are a fraud. But my contention is that, since klemp has carried on this fraud for so very long, he must be fully aware of his crimes.

                            If you apply basic philosophy and psychology to eckankar it quickly falls apart. Add a little mythology and common sense and you see right through the scam. I can say this in the least — eckankar forced me to delve into these studies so I could separate truth from fiction and manipulation.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 10, 2013
                              harrisonferrel,

                              Klemp is most likely a Sociopath etc. and I despise him and the whole eckankar Cult. "The Living Eck Master" is to me obviously Authoritarian and also, I recall that along with the books I read initially, that the first discourse was very much written in a style that was quite grandiose and stated that eckankar was THE one and only most direct path to the Godhead, along with being able to control the weather, soul travel, out of body experiences and so on. It was recommended that you literally memorize the discourses, and to even avoid reading other books. The Truth was here, why go elsewhere. I don't know how you could have stayed a member for 12 years, while ignoring this, just to find out more about OBE's.
                              That said:

                              Actually, it does seem that in this post you are being insulting, condescending and strangely displaying an authoritarian form of Science. Science as I understand it is not based on absolute assertions. Every once and a while, I have come across David Lane's discussion on the subject of Science and if anything, it is quite the opposite. It starts with the assumption Of "I don't know" to quite literally guessing, hypothesizing, coming up with a theory, testing it and changing it and always being open to more change and peer review and so on. You state that a Sociopath is always a result of a defect in the brain and has nothing to do with experiences whatsoever, end of story, and then you proceed to give others advise and make diagnosis as if you are an expert based on being a life long studier of Psychology, whatever that means. Calling me ignorant is an odd use of the word, in this context.

                              I am coming from a Social Psychology point of view which is very experimental, Neuroscience and Cultural influences. Here are some quotes and links that imo add to the richness of the discussion and also show that stress and child abuse/neglect, aculturation (sometimes war) does/can have a high probability of causing sociopathic behavior (and neurological impact), and other disorders, not just in individuals, but also in Society at large:

                              http://www.alice-miller.com/books_en.php?page=10a

                              Two thousand years ago, the people of ancient Rome cheered enthusiastically as they watched gladiators fight each other to the death, and saw innocent persons torn to pieces by wild beasts. In that same era, Roman teachers practiced corporal punishment on a daily basis. The Roman schools were stocked with a variety of instruments used to beat children, including the ferula (a bundle of switches made from birch branches), the scutia (a whip made of leather straps), and the flagellum (a whip made of straps from ox-hide, the hardest available leather).

                              Although feeding slaves to lions and beating children in schools were acceptable practices to the mass of Roman citizens, occasionally a voice of protest cried out. The rhetorician Quintilian (C.E. 35 to C.E. 95) wrote: "I am entirely against the practice of corporal punishment in education, although it is widespread ... In the first place it is disgusting and slavish treatment, which would certainly be regarded as an insult if it were not inflicted on boys. Further, the pupil whose mind is too coarse to be improved by censure will become as indifferent to blows as the worst of slaves. Finally, these chastisements would be entirely unnecessary if the teachers were patient and helpful."

                              http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130407090835.htm

                              Puberty is another sensitive time of development and stress experienced at this time can also be involved in programming adult mood disorders. Prof Holmes and her colleagues have found evidence from imaging studies in rats that stress in early teenage years could affect mood and emotional behaviour via changes in the brain's neural networks associated with emotional processing.

                              The researchers used fMRI (Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging) to see which pathways in the brain were affected when stressed, peripubertal rats responded to a specific learned task. [1].

                              Prof Holmes will say: "We showed that in stressed 'teenage' rats, the part of the brain region involved in emotion and fear (known as amygdala) was activated in an exaggerated fashion when compared to controls. The results from this study clearly showed that altered emotional processing occurs in the amygdala in response to stress during this crucial period of development."

                              Einstein was a Scientist who came up with theories that opened the door to new research, but much of it was proven after the theorizing. The theory of Psychopaths is important, but I'm not buying all of it as you describe it. And believe me I have had too many experiences in real life with individuals who were pathological liars and manipulators. The ones I knew on a more personal level, definitely had childhood trauma, either from bad parenting or general cultural influences. And we haven't even talked about Bowlby's Attachment Theory yet.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 10, 2013
                                First, if I'm being insulting, I apologize. Not my intent. Still, I can't agree that I was ever drawn to authoritarianism, or were several people I know.

                                Regarding sociopathy, you'd have to study this to understand my point, I guess, in stating that you can't be "in training" because it's a brain issue. You are either missing a particular function of the brain or you are not. Sociopathy is not a psychological condition, it is physical. I'm not sure what you are reading to draw your conclusions, but because you state "I think," it leads me to believe that you are not well versed in this problem. Also, it is indeed possible to detect a malfunction or non-function regarding the area of the brain in the amygdala that identifies what makes a sociopath. Certainly there are other issues that can make someone a liar, thief or evil person, not only sociopathy. I do understand what you say when you write that people can become more and more like the sociopath they are following, picking up many of their traits. I agree. But this cannot make them true sociopaths.

                                People are not born hating, but many are born sociopaths. Certainly, their upbringing and societal constraints, etc. can determine the degree to which their sociopathy affects others.

                                I do appreciate your comments.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 10, 2013
                                  harrisonferrel,

                                  Since my post was completely left out and has some references for you to consider(and maybe others), I guess I'll have to repost it. That I may say "I think..." just means that I don't always feel the need to say "I Know...". Saying "I Know" all the time is kind of arrogant, imho. Also, joining an Authoritarian Cult like eckankar and declaring that you didn't believe in the Authoritarian part is a little like saying that you support a Dictator, but don't believe there should be Dictators. It doesn't make any sense. Without "The Living Eck Master", there is no eckankar. Cults have Authoritarian Leaders, Prophets, Masters, Supreme this or that,etc..

                                  The Scientific Method does not have Authoritarian Leaders, or make Absolute Assertions. If it does, then whatever is going on is diverging from Science. Anything is open to questioning and ongoing discovery and change. Unfortunately, even in the Scientific world, sometimes personality worship can occur, or beliefs become set in stone and so on....even false proofs and claims occur.

                                  And I think you may be ignoring research on brain neuroplasticity, as well as other factors, Social Psychology, Alice Miller's research on the effects of child abuse and neglect, Sociology.....

                                  Anyway here's my post that you left out: