Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Re: Religion, Belief, God and Such

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 24, 2012
      There was an interesting article in the December 2012 Scientific
      American magazine called: The Quantum Quantum / Quantum theorists often
      speak of the world as being pointillist at the smallest scales. Yet a
      closer look at the laws of nature suggests that the physical world is
      actually continuous - more analog than digital, by David Tong (p. 46)

      The article was interesting in that it said: "Physicists routinely
      teach that the building blocks of nature are discrete particles such as
      the electron or quark. That is a lie. The building blocks of our
      theories are are not particles but fields: continuous, fluidlike
      objects spread throughout space. ... The objects that we call
      fundamental particles are not fundamental. Instead they are ripples of
      continuous fields." (p. 49)

      There was a comment on the S.A. website by vladimir tamari about the
      article that read:

      Quite apart from David Tong's stimulating article and the interesting
      comments above, the original article in the printed edition of
      Scientific American had the title "The Unquantum Quantum". This is very
      interesting: Eric Reiter, who also happens to be the author of an essay
      in this year's Foundational Questions (fqxi) contest, is the one who
      coined the term "unquantum"see http://unquantum.net/. He should be
      given credit for this- but not for mere linguistic cleverness. By
      unquantum emphasizes the challenge that his painstaking experiments
      with gamma rays have posed to the very conceptual foundations of
      quantum physics. Reiter has proven something that Max Planck and others
      have argued for all along - that Einstein's 1905 conclusion that quanta
      of light come in the form of particles is simply wrong. If his
      experiments and conclusions are confirmed this would banish the weird
      particle-wave duality for light, thereby providing a realistic physical
      explanation for probabilistic quantum behavior and much else besides.
      Read Reiters' fqxi essay explaining all this:

      http://fqxi.org/community/forum/topic/1344

      http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-quantum-reality-analog-after-all

      In any case it looks like arguments persist about particles vs. waves
      ... and it seemed to me one of the arguments from the article centered
      around the consideration that discrete particles are an "output",
      rather than an input such as waves existing in a continuum. It also
      pointed out how particles can change into other particles and how
      forces are continuous with one another. That was my impression, at
      least.

      Btw, the article blurb on the S.A. website does not do the article
      justice. One really needs to look at the whole article (which, I don't
      think there is one online yet). There were some other links in the
      comment I referenced which might provide even more insight, but I
      haven't looked at them yet.