Statistics question

  • Avonblue
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 2012
      Does anyone have facts on the number of members eckankar has had since its conception in the 60's; how many members have actually left over the years and how many members there are now?
      It's hard for me to imagine that many people are being sucked into this organization anymore.

      Also, has there been any precedent for anyone going after eckankar for membership (dollars) return based on fraudulent representation or does the fact that they call it a membership "donation" preclude that as legal possibility?
    • Janice Pfeiffer
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 13, 2012
        I think you have asked some interesting questions.  I don't read about eckankar these days so I do hope that more knowledgeable people can provide answers.  I do believe that people have become more wary of religious or spiritual orgs that make claims such as a living eck master however.  Good luck with it.
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
          I left Eck around 25 years ago after being in the middle of the bulls++it between darwin and harold. They were both contacting me trying to convince me they were the real Mahanta.Darwin even called me one night drunk and crying saying he was the real master. I told him to go to bed.
          I saw some of the worst of activities. It was still hard to pull the
          plug on Eck as I had a close nit family of friends. Some like me pulled
          out and others stayed in. Some of them left later. I doubt there are any statistics about how many. They lied so much about so many things
          One thing has always bothered me. I did a painting of the passing of the
          "Rod of Power" they made a print of it,this was after Paul died.
          When Harod took over I was told he and a few others took the painting to the desert did a cerimony Burned the painting and buried it,
          if harold did'nt believe Darwin was the Mahanta but a con man Why did he go to the trouble of burning his painting? There are a lot of ways to destroy a painting.
          I am rambling.
          Diana Stanley

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
            They lied so much about so many things.

            Search the following documents for the words: the connection. Example:

            "Wasn't it he who wrote `Lead, Kindly Light'?"

            "Yes. He also wrote: `Knowledge is one thing, virtue is another ...
            Philosophy, however enlightened, however profound, gives no command
            over the passions, no influential motives, no vivifying principles.'
            Memorize that, and have nothing to do with philosophy, it's no good."

            "But how does that fit the influenza epidemic? I don't see the
            connection."

            "I knew, what every genuine thinker has known since the dawn of
            history, that epidemics -- and endemics, too, are a product of the
            subconscious mind of humanity. The only actual substance of that stuff
            is the fear that builds up the illusion and all its consequences. That
            is why Jesus called it `a liar, and the father of it.' The mass mind
            fears and consequently creates vengeance upon its own secret
            swinishness. [... .]

            http://arthursclassicnovels.com/mundy/ugfa10.html

            Compare with:

            "Now remember this. As the great spiritual guru Yaubl Sacabi once
            said, 'Knowledge is one thing, virtue is another.' No matter how
            enlightening it may be, philosophy gives no command over the passions,
            no influential motives, no inescapable principles. It is not worth much
            in the crises of mankind. How can it help in time of epidemics?"

            I said, "I don't get the connection."

            "All right, you know what every genuine thinker has known since the
            dawn of time: that epidemics (and endemics, too) are a product of the
            submind of humanity. The only actual substance is the fear that builds
            up the illusion and all its consequences. This is why Jesus spoke of
            the devil, the submind, as a liar and the father of it. The mass mind
            fears and consequently creates vengeance upon itself. It is the father
            of spiritual arrogance. [... .]"

            https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0KObtCQpPKbZDhiNjhkZmQtNjI5Yy00ZTZlLWJjZDYtYjY3Yzg1Y2I4Mzhj/edit?pli=1

            ***

            Apparently, Paul Twitchell appropriated a dialogue from Talbot Mundy's
            1940 book and changed the names.

            That was just a small example.

            I would tend to agree that "they" (somebody) lied.

            <gowiththeflow1212@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have facts on the number of members eckankar has had
            since its conception in the 60's; how many members have actually left
            over the years and how many members there are now?
            > It's hard for me to imagine that many people are being sucked into
            this organization anymore.

            > Also, has there been any precedent for anyone going after eckankar
            for membership (dollars) return based on fraudulent representation or
            does the fact that they call it a membership "donation" preclude that
            as legal possibility?

          • Non
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 19, 2012
              And yet there are still those who surround themselves with photos of klemp, in wallets, on dash boards, luggage tags etc.sold by eckankar inc. It is so strange, yet I guess it is just another example of how dangerous the Herd mentality is in us humans. What you describe sounds very much like any ritual done by a Nazi or the KKK, etc. and other Cults and Religions, claiming to have ultimate dogmatic truth, that is only a lot of sticky ugly lies.

              Fortunately, I think the younger generation sees through a lot of bull shit that we were drawn into because we thought that truth and authority and exotic philosophies didn't have to be questioned much. We were more easily fooled than today. It is interesting that the percentage of those unaffiliated with any Religion or Spirituality is increasing, and I hope this trend continues.

              Non ; )

              --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Diana Stanley" <dianastanley43@...> wrote:

              > I left Eck around 25 years ago after being in the middle of the bulls++it between darwin and harold. They were both contacting me trying to convince me they were the real Mahanta.Darwin even called me one night drunk and crying saying he was the real master. I told him to go to bed.
              > I saw some of the worst of activities. It was still hard to pull the
              > plug on Eck as I had a close nit family of friends. Some like me pulled
              > out and others stayed in. Some of them left later. I doubt there are any statistics about how many. They lied so much about so many things
              > One thing has always bothered me. I did a painting of the passing of the
              > "Rod of Power" they made a print of it,this was after Paul died.
              > When Harod took over I was told he and a few others took the painting to the desert did a cerimony Burned the painting and buried it,
              > if harold did'nt believe Darwin was the Mahanta but a con man Why did he go to the trouble of burning his painting? There are a lot of ways to destroy a painting.
              > I am rambling.
              > Diana Stanley

              > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Avonblue" <gowiththeflow1212@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Does anyone have facts on the number of members eckankar has had since its conception in the 60's; how many members have actually left over the years and how many members there are now?
              > > It's hard for me to imagine that many people are being sucked into this organization anymore.
              > >
              > > Also, has there been any precedent for anyone going after eckankar for membership (dollars) return based on fraudulent representation or does the fact that they call it a membership "donation" preclude that as legal possibility?

            • Sharon
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
                <giggle> Not only did I keep a photo of Klemp on the TV, I gave one to my son for his wallet & told him Harold would always protect him, and he should talk to him, etc. Years later he told me he thought I was nuts. He said he felt like there was "someone or something" always with him, but it sure as heck wasn't Klemp, and it had nothing to do with ekult.

                Anyway, when I got on the internet the first place I landed was alt.religion.eckankar, which was quite something back then! An HI told me there were evil entities on the internet and some eckists had actually experienced them coming out of the monitor. So, I put a photo of Klemp right on the wall over the monitor.

                Gotta laugh, you know? Reminds me of a silly eckstory, an eckist was riding on an airplane and "knew" it was going to crash, so she conjured up little eckanmechanics in her head to tighten all the nuts & bolts. When she debarked, she noticed the pilot and thought wow, he had *no* idea that the plane was going to crash but "the eck" saved him!

                Oh - while I think of it, Diana - did you ever think about writing a book? It would be fascinating - and I might even buy one new & full price!!

                Hugs,

                Sharon

                --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Non" <eckchains@...> wrote:

                > And yet there are still those who surround themselves with photos of klemp, in wallets, on dash boards, luggage tags etc.sold by eckankar inc. It is so strange, yet I guess it is just another example of how dangerous the Herd mentality is in us humans. What you describe sounds very much like any ritual done by a Nazi or the KKK, etc. and other Cults and Religions, claiming to have ultimate dogmatic truth, that is only a lot of sticky ugly lies.
                >
                > Fortunately, I think the younger generation sees through a lot of bull shit that we were drawn into because we thought that truth and authority and exotic philosophies didn't have to be questioned much. We were more easily fooled than today. It is interesting that the percentage of those unaffiliated with any Religion or Spirituality is increasing, and I hope this trend continues.
                >
                > Non ; )
                >
                > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Diana Stanley" <dianastanley43@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I left Eck around 25 years ago after being in the middle of the bulls++it between darwin and harold. They were both contacting me trying to convince me they were the real Mahanta.Darwin even called me one night drunk and crying saying he was the real master. I told him to go to bed.
                > > I saw some of the worst of activities. It was still hard to pull the
                > > plug on Eck as I had a close nit family of friends. Some like me pulled
                > > out and others stayed in. Some of them left later. I doubt there are any statistics about how many. They lied so much about so many things
                > > One thing has always bothered me. I did a painting of the passing of the
                > > "Rod of Power" they made a print of it,this was after Paul died.
                > > When Harod took over I was told he and a few others took the painting to the desert did a cerimony Burned the painting and buried it,
                > > if harold did'nt believe Darwin was the Mahanta but a con man Why did he go to the trouble of burning his painting? There are a lot of ways to destroy a painting.
                > > I am rambling.
                > > Diana Stanley

                > > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Avonblue" <gowiththeflow1212@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone have facts on the number of members eckankar has had since its conception in the 60's; how many members have actually left over the years and how many members there are now?
                > > > It's hard for me to imagine that many people are being sucked into this organization anymore.
                > > >
                > > > Also, has there been any precedent for anyone going after eckankar for membership (dollars) return based on fraudulent representation or does the fact that they call it a membership "donation" preclude that as legal possibility?

              • Diana Stanley
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 20, 2012
                  Sharon I think Steven King would be a better author for a book about the comings and goings about Eck Masters.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 22, 2012
                    Hello Sharon and All,
                    Yes, I had photos and
                    wore EK jewelry. It's
                    a familiar thing for
                    former Catholics.

                    I had additional photos
                    of EK masters taped
                    to the backside of
                    the sun visor and
                    had PT's photo in
                    plain sight down by
                    the ashtray. People
                    would always ask
                    who it was. I guess
                    Jesus' photo or Mary's
                    were well known,
                    plus, the saints always
                    had their names on
                    the photos so no
                    need to explain who
                    it was or why it was
                    there. Well, sometimes
                    non-Catholics would
                    ask and thought it
                    was strange and like
                    carrying a lucky rabbit's
                    foot which is closer to
                    the truth than religionists
                    can/could ever admit.

                    I had multiple photos
                    in every room of the
                    house and carried photos
                    on me and had them
                    on my desk at work.
                    I was rather nuts.

                    It was an odd time
                    when the collapse
                    of the DG-HK transition
                    took place in 1984
                    wasn't it? Many EKists
                    quite when DG was
                    booted in such an
                    uncharitable, unpleasant,
                    disagreeable, nasty, mean-
                    spirited, cruel, vindictive,
                    vicious, spiteful, malicious,
                    callous, unsympathetic,
                    unfeeling, uncaring, cold-
                    hearted; unfriendly,
                    inconsiderate, insensitive,
                    hostile; informal bitchy,
                    catty manner.

                    It was getting bad at
                    the start of the Youth
                    Conference (April 1963)
                    in St. Louis but later,
                    during the seminar
                    had gotten much worse.

                    BTW-When I saw a
                    5x7 B&W photo of
                    DG blowing across
                    the parking lot after
                    that really strange
                    seminar it startled
                    me. I chased it down
                    and after picking it
                    up I thought this was
                    a confirmation of
                    Darwin's downfall.

                    Many months later
                    we had to meet at
                    the ECK Center to
                    listen to Klemp's
                    talk to the H.I.s.
                    Was that a July
                    or October meeting?

                    We were instructed
                    to get rid of Darwin's
                    letters he had written
                    to some of us and his
                    photos because they
                    were dangerous to
                    have due to their Black
                    Magic effects upon us.

                    One 4th commented
                    to me when she came
                    into the center, "Well,
                    if Darwin's photos are
                    Black Magic why aren't
                    Harold's?"

                    I said nothing and thought
                    she didn't get it, and yet
                    she made a good point.
                    White Magic or Black and
                    who decides what is what?
                    And is White Magic really
                    any better? Yes, I think it
                    is. But Klemp doesn't even
                    function on that high of
                    a level.

                    Prometheus

                    dianastanley wrote:

                    > > I left Eck around 25 years ago after being in the middle of the bulls++it
                    between darwin and harold. They were both contacting me trying to convince me
                    they were the real Mahanta.Darwin even called me one night drunk and crying
                    saying he was the real master. I told him to go to bed.
                    > > I saw some of the worst of activities. It was still hard to pull the
                    > > plug on Eck as I had a close nit family of friends. Some like me pulled
                    > > out and others stayed in. Some of them left later. I doubt there are any
                    statistics about how many. They lied so much about so many things
                    > > One thing has always bothered me. I did a painting of the passing of the
                    > > "Rod of Power" they made a print of it,this was after Paul died.
                    > > When Harod took over I was told he and a few others took the painting to the
                    desert did a cerimony Burned the painting and buried it,
                    > > if harold did'nt believe Darwin was the Mahanta but a con man Why did he go
                    to the trouble of burning his painting? There are a lot of ways to destroy a
                    painting.
                    > > I am rambling.
                    > > Diana Stanley
                  • Non
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 23, 2012
                      Interesting about the Catholic part. It makes a little more sense the way you explain it. However, in my gut, I was not able to go that far, and I was also studying about philosophy, Zen, other New Age stuff, Mysticism, Freud, Jung, Tai Chi, Yoga..... I just remember feeling more guilty about my doubts and questions, especially when I went to eck classes. There was something about the eck books and stuff that was intoxicating (toxic) and I couldn't get it out of my mind and actually hated it's affect.

                      Why I had these doubts I think is because I have a very curious nature and I have always been kind of like the kid that saw that the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes, but I was also afraid to say anything and would just hold it in. I think there are a lot of people like this. All they have to do is open up to a slightly higher state of proof, rather than just taking someones word for it. It is OK to be a little skeptical about everything. Those who can't let themselves feel even some slight discomfort about not being dogmatic or knowing for sure, are really very fearful, and not at all as confident or happy as they pretend to be. Prick their bubble and quite often you will get a *rage* reaction and get labeled an agent of kal or some other usual demeaning expression or ignored like shunning. In the end it is a sickness. Kudos to those of us who have made the effort to escape.

                      Cheers!

                      Non ; D