Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Re: karma

  • Janice Pfeiffer
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 14, 2012
      Well written Prometheus, thank you for your insights

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2012
        Hello Harrison,
        Thanks! I enjoyed reading your
        comments. That's an interesting
        paraphrase of the Dali Llama:
        "being illusory doesn't mean it's
        not real, but rather its importance
        is illusory.

        It's quite a play on words which
        Buddhism does in order to get
        people to think with depth via
        creative introspection.

        However, I don't really agree with
        the second part (the twist) of the
        statement. To me, "it's importance"
        is Not Always "illusionary" due to
        the illusion's powerful mental
        potential to manifest and become
        "real" and to create circumstances
        that would end our physical existence
        or well being. For me, passiveness
        is self-deceit and non-attachment
        is simply a coping/survival technique
        (stress reducer) designed for the
        mind.

        However, various natural stress
        reducers do have the potential
        to alter our perspectives and to
        give us real insights into our individual
        Real Selves and that of this Real
        Life Experience and Purpose.

        Maybe, we are simply taking another
        step for the future development,
        or decline, of the Human Race and
        towards its full Mental potential.
        That's our part and our involvement
        with what we can call the Universal
        Mind's Potential. Perhaps, too, we
        are being guided, unconsciously,
        by this innate potential via video
        games and other imaginative and
        technological advances.

        Prometheus

        "harrisonferrel" wrote:
        Like so many other ideas, Karma doesn't hold water and seems to be a bastardized
        explanation of the way life works. It seems to have its origins in mythology and
        you'd need to read Joseph Campbell for an informed and intelligent look at the
        idea.

        Of course, Eckankar, as a notorious bullshit organization, goes to town with the
        karma idea. It's just another in a series of things people can latch onto by
        believing that their own mental impressions and fantasies have root in reality.

        I was recently watching a documentary on the Buddha for the third time.
        Curiously, Siddharta had an epiphany that life/nature goes through a cycle of
        being born, living, experiencing old age then decline, then at last dying. In
        the world of nature, rebirth is the next round of life that appears. This in no
        way suggests it's the same "soul" that reappears, but rather it's the way life
        works, in a cycle. And Siddharta realized that he was part of this cycle and
        there was no reason to keep trying to escape it. Instead he realized it's
        important to embrace life and these realities. All else is self-deceit. The
        illusion is that life and all of its problems has a basis in longevity and real
        importance. To paraphrase the Dalai Llama, being illusory doesn't mean it's not
        real, but rather its importance is illusory.

        Eckankar is all about manipulation of people, facts and world teachings. If
        Harold, Twitch or any of the other Disney characters had an conscience, they
        would be ashamed of what they do to people in the way of this manipulation.
      • postekcon
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 25, 2012
          Karma as taught by Ekult is very skewed and not the 'big picture'!
          Should one choose to believe in karma, it maybe better understood within contexts of 'randomity' and 'quantum' theories.

          For me the jury is out.
          -Postekcon