Re: karma

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 14, 2012

      or fiberoptic. But, is Spirit merely
      the Universal Mind's potential?

      And GOD? Maybe that's the
      original source which caused
      and determined our human
      split from that of other animals?
    • Janice Pfeiffer
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 2012
        Well written Prometheus, thank you for your insights

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 14, 2012
          Hello Harrison,
          Thanks! I enjoyed reading your
          comments. That's an interesting
          paraphrase of the Dali Llama:
          "being illusory doesn't mean it's
          not real, but rather its importance
          is illusory.

          It's quite a play on words which
          Buddhism does in order to get
          people to think with depth via
          creative introspection.

          However, I don't really agree with
          the second part (the twist) of the
          statement. To me, "it's importance"
          is Not Always "illusionary" due to
          the illusion's powerful mental
          potential to manifest and become
          "real" and to create circumstances
          that would end our physical existence
          or well being. For me, passiveness
          is self-deceit and non-attachment
          is simply a coping/survival technique
          (stress reducer) designed for the
          mind.

          However, various natural stress
          reducers do have the potential
          to alter our perspectives and to
          give us real insights into our individual
          Real Selves and that of this Real
          Life Experience and Purpose.

          Maybe, we are simply taking another
          step for the future development,
          or decline, of the Human Race and
          towards its full Mental potential.
          That's our part and our involvement
          with what we can call the Universal
          Mind's Potential. Perhaps, too, we
          are being guided, unconsciously,
          by this innate potential via video
          games and other imaginative and
          technological advances.

          Prometheus

          "harrisonferrel" wrote:
          Like so many other ideas, Karma doesn't hold water and seems to be a bastardized
          explanation of the way life works. It seems to have its origins in mythology and
          you'd need to read Joseph Campbell for an informed and intelligent look at the
          idea.

          Of course, Eckankar, as a notorious bullshit organization, goes to town with the
          karma idea. It's just another in a series of things people can latch onto by
          believing that their own mental impressions and fantasies have root in reality.

          I was recently watching a documentary on the Buddha for the third time.
          Curiously, Siddharta had an epiphany that life/nature goes through a cycle of
          being born, living, experiencing old age then decline, then at last dying. In
          the world of nature, rebirth is the next round of life that appears. This in no
          way suggests it's the same "soul" that reappears, but rather it's the way life
          works, in a cycle. And Siddharta realized that he was part of this cycle and
          there was no reason to keep trying to escape it. Instead he realized it's
          important to embrace life and these realities. All else is self-deceit. The
          illusion is that life and all of its problems has a basis in longevity and real
          importance. To paraphrase the Dalai Llama, being illusory doesn't mean it's not
          real, but rather its importance is illusory.

          Eckankar is all about manipulation of people, facts and world teachings. If
          Harold, Twitch or any of the other Disney characters had an conscience, they
          would be ashamed of what they do to people in the way of this manipulation.
        • postekcon
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 25, 2012
            Karma as taught by Ekult is very skewed and not the 'big picture'!
            Should one choose to believe in karma, it maybe better understood within contexts of 'randomity' and 'quantum' theories.

            For me the jury is out.
            -Postekcon