Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Re: The Dark Side of ECKankar (Revisited)

  • Janice Pfeiffer
    Message 1 of 14 , May 9 12:09 AM
      Thank you etznab for clarifying.

      --- On Sun, 5/6/12, etznab18 <etznab@...> wrote:

      From: etznab18 <etznab@...>
      Subject: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Re: The Dark Side of ECKankar (Revisited)
      To: EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 2:50 AM

      "Can you give more detail about the conditions that Doug Marman admitted that rebazar was imaginary? To whom did he tell this and why?"

      Some select trivia about Rebazar Tarzs. (See original links/threads for complete context.)

      To try and save space I chose to illustrate excerpts only. This is still a long post though.

      (1)

      Reference to event from 1970s shared in Doug Marman's 2001 online book:

      [...] Anyway, back to the story: Darwin was very supportive of my self-assigned task and would ask me about it from time to time. One day I [Doug Marman] told him that I'd discovered a tape like no others in the box. It was a personal recording by Paul, apparently done in his home. It sounded like Paul was experimenting again. This time he was trying to create an audio version of something like Dialogues With The Master.

      The tape started with Paul's voice describing a visit by Rebazar Tarzs. Then we hear Paul's voice lower into a deep, gravely sound, saying something like, "Well, Paul, are you ready?" Paul was mimicking the voice of Rebazar Tarzs! The tape went on to give a discourse from Rebazar on a spiritual topic. This was so long ago I can't remember much more than that, but the tape was amazing to me, and I wish I could hear it again to see what I might think of it today.

      So, when I told Darwin about the tape, I asked him if he had ever heard anything about it before. He immediately became interested, told me that it was news to him, and asked if I could get it for him. I told Darwin that I had left it in my apartment with all the other tapes I was sorting through, but I would run home to get it for him. I immediately jumped up to head for my car.

      It was at this point that Darwin said something that left me with a deep impression. He saw that I was hurrying toward my car in my desire to get the tape for him, and he said, "Take your time." He then paused, as if he was saying something very important, and he added, "There is never any reason to rush." [... .]

      http://www.littleknownpubs.com/Dialog_Ch_Nine.htm

      (2)

      July 2001:

      "The idea of Twitchell denying his association with Kirpal Singh is NOT my invention. Kirpal Singh thought Twitchell was denying it. - [David Lane?]

      Kirpal "thought" Twitchell was denying it. How interesting. Why doesn't David show us the rest of the quote, which explains why Kirpal thought that? Kirpal makes it very clear that he is referring to The Tiger's Fang, which in its first draft mentioned Kirpal as Paul's teacher, but was changed to Rebazar Tarzs by the time it was published in 1967. [....]" - [Doug Marman?]

      http://tinyurl.com/4x3kl25

      (3)

      July 2003:

      Interesting, Doug. I have mixed feeling about the "plagerism". For thos most part, I see the copied info as generally either common themes or insignificant fillers. However, I find the quotes where he claimed to have come from Rebazar to have been done in really poor taste... and perhaps not a great move in his part ???
      What are your on that stuff ?
      I agree with you that plagiarism is not the real issue. I think the fact that many felt The Far Country was a transcription of an actual dialog means this matter of plagiarism shows them a very different picture. It means the words really came from Paul's pen, with help from other authors, and not word for word from Rebazar Tarzs.
      As for poor taste, I think it looks a lot differently now. I can look back at some of my early writings and see strong similarities with Paul's books. He influenced me significantly. Let's say I decided to leave ECKANKAR and start writing for some other teacher. Let's say I took some of my old writings and just re-worked them to fit with the new teachings. Now, somebody eventually sees that my writings are almost word for word from some of Paul's writings. Now it looks like I was "stealing" from ECKANKAR, and that the new teacher is just a spin-off.
      It's all a matter of perspective.
      I think Paul was clearly influenced by Johnson's books. He obviously liked them enough that he covered a lot of the same material, and even used very similar words in many cases, when he wrote The Far Country. However, he was also writing this at the same time as he handed Kirpal Singh his first draft of The Tiger's Fang. If Kirpal had not rejected his efforts, I believe Kirpal's students would have looked at The Far Country far differently.
      On the other hand, I don't really know what Paul was thinking when he wrote this book. I do like The Far Country far more than Johnson's books, so I'm glad he wrote it. However, I do think that it is a serious negative to his popularity in the public sector. I'm not sure Paul would mind too much about that. - Doug.

      http://tinyurl.com/7stz3vz

      (4) February 2004:

      "[...] 3. Did Paul Twitchell copy other writers works? Yes. Well, I guess I can give yes or no answers sometimes. 4. Did Paul Twitchell use other writers words and put his Eck masters names on them as if the Eck Master were saying them? Yes. [....]"

      http://www.thetruth-seeker.com/dispBB.aspx?st=268&page=168#m264

      (5)

      March 2007:

      [...] Let me ask a question here: Do you have a problem seeing Paul's book, Stranger By the River, as a poetic work, rather than a factual account?
      Do you think that Paul is quoting Rebazar's actual words there? Or is he trying to communicate the teaching that he learned from him?
      I've noticed that a lot of ECKists readily accepted that Stranger By The River was a fictionalized piece, much like Khalil Gibran's works, but have taken The Far Country as something different.
      So, yes, when you come to realize that The Far Country is a similar work of art, rather than a factual account, you might feel that somehow you were fooled. I've seen people go through this reaction, and then it becomes a trust issue for them.
      I can relate to that. Although I always felt that The Far Country was much more like Stranger By The River. My reason: Paul is describing spiritual teachings here that are coming from a spiritual experience.
      These aren't things that come in English. They are inner teachings. So, I always thought these were Paul's words and his creation, but that he was trying to describe something real in the best way that he could.
      In other words, he was writing the classic "as if you were there" book, to leave the reader with the impression as close as possible to what it was really like. [...] Which do you think Paul was writing about? Was he trying to write about historical facts, or was he describing spiritual truth? If the later, wouldn't it be best to review his works in this light? Why worry if his facts are not exactly right?

      http://tinyurl.com/7tuzbwd

      Message 2 of 14 , May 9 10:47 AM
        What I found interesting
        is that Klemp mentions
        Kirpal's name 15 times
        and Sudar's name 4 times.

        Just check the Twitchell
        info on Eckankar.org and
        count it up for yourselves.
        HK mentions that Twit had
        a falling out with Kirpal
        (for some unknown reason)
        and that Kirpal had possession
        of Paul's "The Tiger's Fang"
        manuscript which he, later,
        returned circa June, 1966.

        The "falling out" was because
        Paul had "exaggerated" and
        "twisted facts" as Klemp states
        Twit had done at age 27 (1935)
        to get into Who's Who in Kentucky.

        Even though the Tiger's Fang
        story made Kirpal (aka Rebazar,
        et al.) appear to be a great master,
        it also made Paul look like a
        Master as well. PT was using
        Kirpal to self-promote himself
        and Kirpal was aware of Paul's
        scam to place himself on a
        plane of consciousness near
        Kirpal's!

        Think about this. Would Klemp
        allow similar stories to be published
        in EK Newsletters that would
        place low level EKists on these
        Higher Planes? Never! Klemp
        would see it as a challenge to
        his authority just as Kirpal did.

        It's obvious that Kirpal Singh
        was Paul's true master and
        not Sudar Singh.

        What's this mean?

        Well, it means that Paul
        lied and there are EK books
        that perpetuate this same
        lie.

        It also means that Sudar
        never existed. Thus, Paul
        was never initiated by Sudar
        into ECKankar. If anything,
        Paul was initiated into Radhasoami
        by Kirpal Singh (btw- Radhasoami
        is a sect of Ruhani Satsang).

        And, this means that Eckankar
        is, actually, a sect of the sect
        of Radhasoami. Look at the
        dogma! Eckankar's is practically
        identical to Radhasoami and
        to Ruhani Satsang. Sects, basically,
        follow the same dogma of the
        original teaching but tend
        to do some tweaking due to
        a falling out regarding leadership.

        Regardless of tapes that Twit
        made, after-the-fact and about
        fake masters like Rebazar, we
        still have the June, 1971 interviews
        that Twit did for "Difficulties
        Of Becoming The Living ECK Master."

        What Paul lied about in June 1971
        as the "Full" Mahanta (created in 1969)
        is more important than what he said
        earlier.

        Plus, we have the Timelines which
        show more of PT's lies.

        And, we have Klemp, on Eckankar.org,
        stating that Kirpal Singh had possession
        of PT's "The Tiger's Fang" manuscript.
        This was a manuscript... not a book!

        Plus, we have Klemp stating that
        Twitchell was a liar who "exaggerated"
        and "twisted facts" along with several
        on-going comments about Paul being
        a (somewhat shameless) self-promoter.

        The sum of these facts make it
        almost impossible for any objective
        person Not to be able to see the
        truth and connect-the-dots and
        know, without a reasonable doubt,
        that Twitchell was a fake master,
        plagiarist, and a conman.

        Prometheus

        Message 3 of 14 , May 10 3:35 PM
          Nice post there. Lots of good points. Thanks.