Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Some Generic Words of Wisdom--Far Beyond Klemp's

  • Russ Rodnick
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 10, 2012
      I steered away from people that I felt uncomfortable around. Some of my friends were unpopular, but we shared a connection. I noticed that there was a hierarchy and I wasn't really interested in being a part of that.

      I remember once at a regional the new RESA, admitted that drugs opened his eyes to other realities. You should have heard the commotion! OMG. Talk about stirrring it up! And most of the people there knew exactly what he was talking about!! But that showed me that the Brother's of the Leaf weren't unified at all. He was being sincere which is a rare quality and very desirable.

      Somehow people feel that spiritual means I'm better than you. But not everyone was like that.

      Actually you mention something about the teachings didn't work. See for me, I really had some interesting experiences.  But experiences aren't how I judge spiritual progress.  for me it's about some other things. Like non identifying, and being able to stay in the moment, to be present. See, I think that eckankar taught us to overlay happiness thus deny what is happening at deeper levels of our conscoussness. We in eck didn't think it was good to talk about anything that wasn't a spiritual upper. Like if you have a struggle, don't talk it over in eck meetings, just go to an esa and give it over to the eck. so we as people weren't being real with each other, which I really wanted and always tried to acknowledge what was really going on with people. I always got looks from other HI's, but I din't care about that so much.

      The challenge is not to identify with what is going on. to me that is more about freedom and detachment than what is practiced in eckankar. also, if we are depending on mahanta or whatever, it's a spiritual welfare program. ironically, that is what pt, warned against. I'm not an apologist for eckankar, I just know that it was, for me, a mixed bag.

      I think maybe spirit finds a way.

      From: Russ Rodnick <russrodnick@...>
      To: "EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com" <EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, April 9, 2012, 3:05 PM

      Have any of you kept up with any of the spiritual practices you learned while in Eck, or have you been able to adopt them to a generic format dropping the eck words and ideas and going back to more generic form?
      I get something from declaring myself a channel for spirit and simply listening and feeling my body and breath. I mean most everything was taken from other more established practitioners and authors so they(practices and ideas) have stood on their own feet. Though we didn't learn them from the original authors, we still have had contact with them.
      I suppose some of you feel so burned that you don't even want to hear any of this; I do understand that sentiment having felt it too. I am by nature a sensitive, so I have to have practices to help me stay balanced. I gained a strong sense of my self while in eck and did derive benefits.
      Stay open to the truth and what works!
      Russ
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 11, 2012
        Hi Russ,

        Before eckankar I was having experiences of more the psychic kind.  I believe my third eye was opening.

         In the early days of eckankar I had experiences geared around eckankar things.  I think this is because I expected them.  I did have experiences with the mahanta.  I met Klemp several times in my dreams.  I went to see Rebazar in the Himalayan mountains.  I saw his humble cottage.  I saw him sitting cups of some kind of tea on the table as I arrived.  I also had an experience where there was a stand off between Klemp and Darwin Gross.  Remember I said my third eye was opening before I came to eckankar.

        The longer I stayed in eckankar the less my experiences on the inner were.  Although I was using contemplation, I got little.  Where as I had to stop meditating at one point before canker because the past life images were too vivid for me at times.

        What I tell myself about why things kind of dried up is that soul or the higher self doesn't care which images it uses to teach as long as they are meaningful to the outer person.  So because I wanted eckankar to be valid, it used eckankar images to teach me.  As my anxiety and uncertainly about eckankar grew stronger, what I had going for me previously dried up.  My infrequent dreams started making no sense at all.  I dreamed one night that Rebazar himself kidnapped me and was holding me for ransom.  He had become an evil person instead of what I had been told by eckankar.  If I had a favorite book in eckankar, it would have been Stranger By The River because of the words that Paul Twitchell attributed to Rebazar.   I think the very thing that eckankar emphasizes (the dreams), was the very thing used to prompt me to let go of a harmful cult.  My time in eckankar was up but it took about another year, to hear enough to finally let go on the outer.

        I immediately read Ford Johnson's book, Confessions Of A God Seeker.  I believe it helped me become more comfortable in being an ex eckist because it dispelled all of what eckankar had to say and it verbalized the things that had bothered me the most while trying to be a good eckist.  The lies that eckankar uses to rope people in and the lies used to enslave a person became a vile something that made me sick to my stomach.  Yes, there is goodness among the teachings but it would be so much better with out the eckankar bull.  These things can be found if one wants them with out eckankar.  The original sources are available if one wants them.

        I feel if some one still feels a need for the things of eckankar, they should find the original sources and give no credit to eckankar other than to realize that Twitchell was a skilled writer of fiction but needed to steal from others when it came to spiritual matters.  I do not believe he was an advanced soul of any kind.  I had a very weird dream concerning him near the end too.  In my dream he was a very fickle, flighty individual surrounded by a gray fog.  He was in a place that did not appear to have any light and all the souls there seemed to be locked into an nonsensical dance of sensuality.  Whether my dream has any validity as to where Twitchell really is, I do not know.  I own it as mine.  It was for my benefit to show me the true nature of Twitchell.

        Both before and after eckankar, I have had many experiences and I have had many so called psychic and so called spiritually developed people try to influence me.  The lesson I feel that I learned and is the most important to me is to never mess with another person's experience.  I have no fascination for psychics anymore.  Pushing your ideas onto another about their past or present or future in my opinion is spiritually wrong and very harmful.  Soul will get what it needs to grow.  Having some one else try to tell you what was or is for you is not useful.  I do not believe that anyone can see into these things for another person.  I feel strongly this is something a person has to find and use for themselves.

        Again, my experiences with eckankar are my own.  I do not expect anyone to give validity to mine for themselves.  I tell them only to emphasize the deception of eckankar and how the truth unfolded for me.  I now view my years in eckankar as like having taken a wrong turn in the road.  But even so, a person continues to learn, while taking a detour on a spiritual journey.  I learned not to trust anyone to decide what is valid for me other than myself.  No savior is coming to save me.  No great teacher is coming to teach me.  It is up to me to gather the things I need to finish my own journey.  I can share with others but I must at all times stand on my own two feet and be responsible for my own unfoldment.  Eckankar will tell you that a master is essential and that the journey can't be made with out one.  No greater lie has ever been used to enslave people for its cause.  I wasted a lot of money on eckankar.  In our world today are some organizations with a sincere desire to help others.  Where as I would contribute directly to a non profit that can show it is in service to others, I will never ever contribute to further any form of organized religion ever again.

        Please forgive me if I went on too long.  I do thank you for your input Russ. Also I thank all ex eckist who are here on this site for your contributions of wisdom.  May all of you find your way more enjoyable and certainly more unhindered while you seek unfoldment.  I do so enjoy reading what all of you have to say.  So many of you had more extensive experiences with eckankar and reading what you have to say, gives me more insight into my own.  Bless you all.

        One last thought:  I am a very bad speller.  My spell check program always wants to change eckankar to canker.  Also it always wants to change eckist to icky.  So does this have any real significance?  I think it does.  Eckankar is like a canker sore infested with lies.  I sure began to feel icky before I shook off the bonds of eckankar.  Well, it's funny to me.

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 11, 2012
          Forgot to comment on the drug thing.  Yeah, I heard brief snatches of such things too and I knew one guy who did obviously appear to still be a pot head.  Most people seemed to ignore him at functions and seemed to pity him.   Looking back, I believe it was something that some of them, were they able to be openly honest, would have liked to talk about.  Drug use is not something you can easily know about a person.  There may be some active eckist who feel it adds to their experiences.  From everything I picked up while in eckankar, even the use of tobacco is frowned upon.  I think if eckist are doing it, it would be with out the blessing of their beloved mahanta or the org of eckankar.

          My husband who died because of drug and alcohol abuse often told me of out of the body experiences.  He described a lot of things that I did experience at a later time with out drugs.  I do believe that mind altering drugs can trigger meaningful experiences for some people even though at the same time, I think it causes an imbalance which eventually makes it hard for the drug user to differentiate between what is real and what isn't.  I believe the drugs caused him to become disoriented to the point that he became earth bound for a while after his death.

          I would hope that spiritual seekers wouldn't use drugs for that purpose.  It might work as a stimulant for experience initially but continued use will only destroy the mind and cause the individual to loose spiritual ground.  To me, drugs like eckankar are a crutch that some people need because they can't face life on their own.  I don't judge the drug user.  Life can be hard and wanting to know about things beyond this earth is something most desirable.  I just feel the advantages of drug use is not equivalent to what the drugs take away.

          Well, that is my humble opinion based on what I have experienced.  In spirit may you all be blessed.

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 11, 2012
            Nice dialogue! Wow! Where
            to start?

            First, I would never suggest
            that a person go to the source
            (Sant Mat) of Twitchell's con.
            Religion is a hierarchy of B.S.
            Sant Mat is just an older and
            "Eastern" version (with jargon)
            of the same con Twit used.

            Yes, I too experienced the
            opening of the "Third Eye,"
            so to speak, prior to Eckankar.
            TM helped with that via the
            process of becoming a siddha.
            I had many profound and
            phenomenal experiences
            with the use of sutras and
            meditation.

            However, the "non-religious"
            TM thing simply opened "new"
            pathways of the mind which
            were developing anyway. I
            was reading a lot of Eastern
            philosophy prior to this and
            enjoyed other experiences
            like Sufi dancing. I can't really
            give credit to any guru since
            it was my own effort and
            focus. I just needed to hear
            from an "expert" (i.e. Master)
            that anything experienced
            (or not experienced) was
            normal and as it should be.

            Also, I'm the one who
            gave the power to the
            outer guru when the true
            guru was me. Then again,
            life is a process of discovery
            that we all find (or miss)
            one way or another if we
            put forth the effort and
            look within via introspection.
            Sometimes it's timing, choices,
            or fate.

            Prior to this I experienced
            altered states via marijuana.
            I have to say that it did open
            inner doorways. However,
            I don't recommend it for
            regular use and I don't use
            it now because I enjoy
            being in control of my
            mind. Anyway, I'm glad
            that I had the mind expanding
            experience.

            As far as using the HU
            post Eckankar... yes, but
            not lately. There comes
            a time when (IMO) we
            should find our own way
            with our own words/tools.
            Whatever we use is just
            as valid as it is with all
            religions when communicating
            with the divine.

            Prometheus

            prometheus wrote:

[...]
          • Non
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 17, 2012
              I have known several people who were in TM and there were lots of problems in the community as well as many neglected kids, not to mention the cost. I heard recently that Opra is pushing TM and some small town where TM-ers are moving to. Now apparently they have their own schools for their kids with school uniforms. TM now has its own hierarchy and who knows what this means after the death of the founder. I guess they believe that their scam meditation mantras will bring about world peace. Kind of like eckists, they don't have to really "do" anything in the real world. There is also a lot of pseudo science going on as well.

              Here's some interesting web sites and funny videos:

              http://www.skepdic.com/tm.html

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFfQuCGU0ZQ

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYEF4SHLOPg&feature=related

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n98aq0jBm1s&feature=related

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=t8saRttyZ_o

              Noneckster ; )

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 18, 2012
                Hello Noneckster,
                Actually the TM schools
                and businesses in the
                U.S. have been around
                since the late '70s. It
                began in Fairfield, Iowa.
                There are, even, TMers
                on the city council
                as well. They moved
                into the small community,
                somewhat like Eckankar
                did, but increased the
                local population two-
                three fold.

                What's amazing is that
                most TMers don't think
                TM is a religion, and it's
                not ever promoted as one.
                Nor, is "God" ever discussed
                in the presence of "citizen"
                (average) TMers. Most believe
                the hype (PR) that the techniques
                are stress reducers which
                also increases awareness,
                harmony, and world peace.

                There are even synchronized
                meditations to enhance the
                "TM effect." In the past TMers
                were sent to African countries
                where conflict was taking place
                in order to produce harmony
                and peace. Except, in TM there
                is a dress code for "Governors"
                (Lords of the Astral worlds)
                and the political leaders in
                these countries thought the
                TMers were, actually, CIA.
                LOL! It is common to send a
                TM group to Washington D.C.
                or to NYC when the United Nations
                is having an important meeting
                involving World Peace.

                What's funny is that Klemp
                has steered away from having
                synchronized HU Chants/Sings.
                HK has, even, forbidden local
                Satangs from having coordinated
                HU Chants when these are taking
                place at Major EK Seminars.

                When one is first initiated
                into TM there is a ceremony
                that is similar to the one
                that Eckankar uses, except,
                for some minor differences.
                Fruit is brought as a gift and
                is presented to the initiator.
                The initiator has a white
                handkerchief where he/she
                places white rice upon. Both
                the fruit and "White" rice are
                offered as gifts to the gods
                (devas). Prayers, are said to
                invoke the Devas while incense
                is burned. After this your
                Mantra will be given to you as
                decided by the initiator from
                a booklet provided to him/her.
                It is repeated and the initiator
                makes sure you understand
                how it is to be pronounced.
                But, they will, also, tell you
                that the pronunciation may
                change and that this is normal.

                As one progresses in TM
                Sutras are taught at retreats
                and in group situations.
                These advanced courses
                are more and more expensive
                and time consuming to
                practice on a daily basis.
                One meditates, reads the
                vedas etc., listens to audios,
                repetes sutras, levitates
                (hops), and reflects. There
                is always a tweaking while
                adding to one's daily "Program."

                What's amusing is that when
                I was joining Eckankar the
                membership donation fee
                was being raised and I heard
                some lower initiates complain
                about not having the time to
                do a 20 minute spiritual exercise/
                contemplation (once per day)!
                I set them straight. I told them
                that the cost of the TM Siddhis
                Program alone amounted to
                at least 20 years of Eckankar
                membership and that 20 minutes
                once a day was nothing when
                compared to doing, for one hour,
                "The Program" TWICE a day!

                Eckists are such wimps!

                Prometheus

                On Transendental Meditatiion and eckankar