Some Generic Words of Wisdom--Far Beyond Klemp's

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8 9:30 PM
      Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

      Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

      Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

      Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

      Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

      Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

      Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

      And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.
      Strive to be happy.-----

      Max Ehrmann (The Desiderata).
    • Russ Rodnick
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 9 7:48 AM
        Desiderata always speaks to me, very beautiful.

        I always found peace in the Eck practice of being a channel for spirit and the idea of outflowing. This helps to balance the inner and outer. Though now, I state, "I am a channel for spirit".

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 9 8:05 AM
          Have any of you kept up with any of the spiritual practices you learned while in Eck, or have you been able to adopt them to a generic format dropping the eck words and ideas and going back to more generic form?
          I get something from declaring myself a channel for spirit and simply listening and feeling my body and breath.

          I mean most everything was taken from other more established practitioners and authors so they(practices and ideas) have stood on their own feet. Though we didn't learn them from the original authors, we still have had contact with them.
          I suppose some of you feel so burned that you don't even want to hear any of this; I do understand that sentiment having felt it too. I am by nature a sensitive, so I have to have practices to help me stay balanced. I gained a strong sense of my self while in eck and did derive benefits.
          Stay open to the truth and what works!
          Russ

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 9 12:57 PM
            Thank you Prmetheus, That is one of my favorite pieces.

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 9 1:37 PM
              Unlike you, Russ, I felt I lost myself while in eckankar.  It took some time after I left to feel like myself again.  It was the environment of eckankar and how the people acted that confused me so badly I think.  There seemed to be a world of difference in how the people were and how the eck teachings said it should be.  Eventually, I grew to feel empty in eckankar because of the lack of evidence that any of the teachings really worked as far as the relationships I saw among eckist.  There was such a lack of unity.  The gossip and the back biting among them was far worse than in any religious or spiritual group I ever saw.  When I attempted to talk about it to individuals in eckankar while attempting to understand it, I was told that I was being judgmental.  Most of the eckist I saw acted like very immature, ego ridden idiots who were all about themselves.  It wasn't a pleasant environment and it certainly didn't encourage new members to stick around.  That group wasn't growing at all.  None the less, I tried hard to believe that it was my attitude that needed to change because I wanted so much to believe that what I read in the teachings really did work.

              For a while after I walked away, I did continue to use hu because I always found it comforting.  I weaned myself off of it because it was too big a part of eckankar to keep.   The only lasting concept that I took away from eckankar was the concept of the golden tongue wisdom.  The idea that one hears what one needs to hear when one needs to hear it is still valid for me.  You might hear something a dozen times with out giving it real value until you can some how apply it to your own life.  Then suddenly it has new meaning.  Or you might have an issue that you are mulling over and suddenly you hear something that may not have even been meant for you and suddenly with it, you have the clarity you need to put things in perspective.

              I have always been a little to analytical.  I have always questioned more with my mind than I accept with my heart.  Since leaving eckankar, I have learned to shut down the mental aspects more and I feel like more of a loving being.  In fact, sometimes I almost feel like I enter what I can only refer to as a state of grace when I feel like I have an inner knowing that feels more perfect than any experience I ever had previously.  It takes effort to get there and even more to maintain it.  It is my belief that the brain is only useful for taking care of day to day activity.  For me it was necessary to learn to shut it down to grow more spiritually.  I think for me it was impossible to advance spiritually in eckankar for that reason.  All the concepts and eckankar crappy crap kept me locked into mental energy.  My spiritual freedom came from going within to see and feel soul.  Looking back, eckankar chains its people with supposed duties to the master to the point that I don't know how they can justify even talking about spiritual freedom.

              I will say that had I not experienced eckankar, I might not have ever known what spiritual freedom was.  It was only after experiencing the chains of eckankar that I truly felt free when I walked away.  So although I have nothing but contempt for eckankar now, I must say that it did contribute to my growth but not in the way they claim.  It showed me everythig that I didn't want or need.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 10 9:09 AM
                I steered away from people that I felt uncomfortable around. Some of my friends were unpopular, but we shared a connection. I noticed that there was a hierarchy and I wasn't really interested in being a part of that.

                I remember once at a regional the new RESA, admitted that drugs opened his eyes to other realities. You should have heard the commotion! OMG. Talk about stirrring it up! And most of the people there knew exactly what he was talking about!! But that showed me that the Brother's of the Leaf weren't unified at all. He was being sincere which is a rare quality and very desirable.

                Somehow people feel that spiritual means I'm better than you. But not everyone was like that.

                Actually you mention something about the teachings didn't work. See for me, I really had some interesting experiences.  But experiences aren't how I judge spiritual progress.  for me it's about some other things. Like non identifying, and being able to stay in the moment, to be present. See, I think that eckankar taught us to overlay happiness thus deny what is happening at deeper levels of our conscoussness. We in eck didn't think it was good to talk about anything that wasn't a spiritual upper. Like if you have a struggle, don't talk it over in eck meetings, just go to an esa and give it over to the eck. so we as people weren't being real with each other, which I really wanted and always tried to acknowledge what was really going on with people. I always got looks from other HI's, but I din't care about that so much.

                The challenge is not to identify with what is going on. to me that is more about freedom and detachment than what is practiced in eckankar. also, if we are depending on mahanta or whatever, it's a spiritual welfare program. ironically, that is what pt, warned against. I'm not an apologist for eckankar, I just know that it was, for me, a mixed bag.

                I think maybe spirit finds a way.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 11 10:51 AM
                  Hi Russ,

                  Before eckankar I was having experiences of more the psychic kind.  I believe my third eye was opening.

                   In the early days of eckankar I had experiences geared around eckankar things.  I think this is because I expected them.  I did have experiences with the mahanta.  I met Klemp several times in my dreams.  I went to see Rebazar in the Himalayan mountains.  I saw his humble cottage.  I saw him sitting cups of some kind of tea on the table as I arrived.  I also had an experience where there was a stand off between Klemp and Darwin Gross.  Remember I said my third eye was opening before I came to eckankar.

                  The longer I stayed in eckankar the less my experiences on the inner were.  Although I was using contemplation, I got little.  Where as I had to stop meditating at one point before canker because the past life images were too vivid for me at times.

                  What I tell myself about why things kind of dried up is that soul or the higher self doesn't care which images it uses to teach as long as they are meaningful to the outer person.  So because I wanted eckankar to be valid, it used eckankar images to teach me.  As my anxiety and uncertainly about eckankar grew stronger, what I had going for me previously dried up.  My infrequent dreams started making no sense at all.  I dreamed one night that Rebazar himself kidnapped me and was holding me for ransom.  He had become an evil person instead of what I had been told by eckankar.  If I had a favorite book in eckankar, it would have been Stranger By The River because of the words that Paul Twitchell attributed to Rebazar.   I think the very thing that eckankar emphasizes (the dreams), was the very thing used to prompt me to let go of a harmful cult.  My time in eckankar was up but it took about another year, to hear enough to finally let go on the outer.

                  I immediately read Ford Johnson's book, Confessions Of A God Seeker.  I believe it helped me become more comfortable in being an ex eckist because it dispelled all of what eckankar had to say and it verbalized the things that had bothered me the most while trying to be a good eckist.  The lies that eckankar uses to rope people in and the lies used to enslave a person became a vile something that made me sick to my stomach.  Yes, there is goodness among the teachings but it would be so much better with out the eckankar bull.  These things can be found if one wants them with out eckankar.  The original sources are available if one wants them.

                  I feel if some one still feels a need for the things of eckankar, they should find the original sources and give no credit to eckankar other than to realize that Twitchell was a skilled writer of fiction but needed to steal from others when it came to spiritual matters.  I do not believe he was an advanced soul of any kind.  I had a very weird dream concerning him near the end too.  In my dream he was a very fickle, flighty individual surrounded by a gray fog.  He was in a place that did not appear to have any light and all the souls there seemed to be locked into an nonsensical dance of sensuality.  Whether my dream has any validity as to where Twitchell really is, I do not know.  I own it as mine.  It was for my benefit to show me the true nature of Twitchell.

                  Both before and after eckankar, I have had many experiences and I have had many so called psychic and so called spiritually developed people try to influence me.  The lesson I feel that I learned and is the most important to me is to never mess with another person's experience.  I have no fascination for psychics anymore.  Pushing your ideas onto another about their past or present or future in my opinion is spiritually wrong and very harmful.  Soul will get what it needs to grow.  Having some one else try to tell you what was or is for you is not useful.  I do not believe that anyone can see into these things for another person.  I feel strongly this is something a person has to find and use for themselves.

                  Again, my experiences with eckankar are my own.  I do not expect anyone to give validity to mine for themselves.  I tell them only to emphasize the deception of eckankar and how the truth unfolded for me.  I now view my years in eckankar as like having taken a wrong turn in the road.  But even so, a person continues to learn, while taking a detour on a spiritual journey.  I learned not to trust anyone to decide what is valid for me other than myself.  No savior is coming to save me.  No great teacher is coming to teach me.  It is up to me to gather the things I need to finish my own journey.  I can share with others but I must at all times stand on my own two feet and be responsible for my own unfoldment.  Eckankar will tell you that a master is essential and that the journey can't be made with out one.  No greater lie has ever been used to enslave people for its cause.  I wasted a lot of money on eckankar.  In our world today are some organizations with a sincere desire to help others.  Where as I would contribute directly to a non profit that can show it is in service to others, I will never ever contribute to further any form of organized religion ever again.

                  Please forgive me if I went on too long.  I do thank you for your input Russ. Also I thank all ex eckist who are here on this site for your contributions of wisdom.  May all of you find your way more enjoyable and certainly more unhindered while you seek unfoldment.  I do so enjoy reading what all of you have to say.  So many of you had more extensive experiences with eckankar and reading what you have to say, gives me more insight into my own.  Bless you all.

                  One last thought:  I am a very bad speller.  My spell check program always wants to change eckankar to canker.  Also it always wants to change eckist to icky.  So does this have any real significance?  I think it does.  Eckankar is like a canker sore infested with lies.  I sure began to feel icky before I shook off the bonds of eckankar.  Well, it's funny to me.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 11 12:01 PM
                    Forgot to comment on the drug thing.  Yeah, I heard brief snatches of such things too and I knew one guy who did obviously appear to still be a pot head.  Most people seemed to ignore him at functions and seemed to pity him.   Looking back, I believe it was something that some of them, were they able to be openly honest, would have liked to talk about.  Drug use is not something you can easily know about a person.  There may be some active eckist who feel it adds to their experiences.  From everything I picked up while in eckankar, even the use of tobacco is frowned upon.  I think if eckist are doing it, it would be with out the blessing of their beloved mahanta or the org of eckankar.

                    My husband who died because of drug and alcohol abuse often told me of out of the body experiences.  He described a lot of things that I did experience at a later time with out drugs.  I do believe that mind altering drugs can trigger meaningful experiences for some people even though at the same time, I think it causes an imbalance which eventually makes it hard for the drug user to differentiate between what is real and what isn't.  I believe the drugs caused him to become disoriented to the point that he became earth bound for a while after his death.

                    I would hope that spiritual seekers wouldn't use drugs for that purpose.  It might work as a stimulant for experience initially but continued use will only destroy the mind and cause the individual to loose spiritual ground.  To me, drugs like eckankar are a crutch that some people need because they can't face life on their own.  I don't judge the drug user.  Life can be hard and wanting to know about things beyond this earth is something most desirable.  I just feel the advantages of drug use is not equivalent to what the drugs take away.

                    Well, that is my humble opinion based on what I have experienced.  In spirit may you all be blessed.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 11 11:04 PM
                      Nice dialogue! Wow! Where
                      to start?

                      First, I would never suggest
                      that a person go to the source
                      (Sant Mat) of Twitchell's con.
                      Religion is a hierarchy of B.S.
                      Sant Mat is just an older and
                      "Eastern" version (with jargon)
                      of the same con Twit used.

                      Yes, I too experienced the
                      opening of the "Third Eye,"
                      so to speak, prior to Eckankar.
                      TM helped with that via the
                      process of becoming a siddha.
                      I had many profound and
                      phenomenal experiences
                      with the use of sutras and
                      meditation.

                      However, the "non-religious"
                      TM thing simply opened "new"
                      pathways of the mind which
                      were developing anyway. I
                      was reading a lot of Eastern
                      philosophy prior to this and
                      enjoyed other experiences
                      like Sufi dancing. I can't really
                      give credit to any guru since
                      it was my own effort and
                      focus. I just needed to hear
                      from an "expert" (i.e. Master)
                      that anything experienced
                      (or not experienced) was
                      normal and as it should be.

                      Also, I'm the one who
                      gave the power to the
                      outer guru when the true
                      guru was me. Then again,
                      life is a process of discovery
                      that we all find (or miss)
                      one way or another if we
                      put forth the effort and
                      look within via introspection.
                      Sometimes it's timing, choices,
                      or fate.

                      Prior to this I experienced
                      altered states via marijuana.
                      I have to say that it did open
                      inner doorways. However,
                      I don't recommend it for
                      regular use and I don't use
                      it now because I enjoy
                      being in control of my
                      mind. Anyway, I'm glad
                      that I had the mind expanding
                      experience.

                      As far as using the HU
                      post Eckankar... yes, but
                      not lately. There comes
                      a time when (IMO) we
                      should find our own way
                      with our own words/tools.
                      Whatever we use is just
                      as valid as it is with all
                      religions when communicating
                      with the divine.

                      Prometheus

                      prometheus wrote:

[...]
                    • Non
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 17 11:11 PM
                        I have known several people who were in TM and there were lots of problems in the community as well as many neglected kids, not to mention the cost. I heard recently that Opra is pushing TM and some small town where TM-ers are moving to. Now apparently they have their own schools for their kids with school uniforms. TM now has its own hierarchy and who knows what this means after the death of the founder. I guess they believe that their scam meditation mantras will bring about world peace. Kind of like eckists, they don't have to really "do" anything in the real world. There is also a lot of pseudo science going on as well.

                        Here's some interesting web sites and funny videos:

                        http://www.skepdic.com/tm.html

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFfQuCGU0ZQ

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYEF4SHLOPg&feature=related

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n98aq0jBm1s&feature=related

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=t8saRttyZ_o

                        Noneckster ; )

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 18 12:55 PM
                          Hello Noneckster,
                          Actually the TM schools
                          and businesses in the
                          U.S. have been around
                          since the late '70s. It
                          began in Fairfield, Iowa.
                          There are, even, TMers
                          on the city council
                          as well. They moved
                          into the small community,
                          somewhat like Eckankar
                          did, but increased the
                          local population two-
                          three fold.

                          What's amazing is that
                          most TMers don't think
                          TM is a religion, and it's
                          not ever promoted as one.
                          Nor, is "God" ever discussed
                          in the presence of "citizen"
                          (average) TMers. Most believe
                          the hype (PR) that the techniques
                          are stress reducers which
                          also increases awareness,
                          harmony, and world peace.

                          There are even synchronized
                          meditations to enhance the
                          "TM effect." In the past TMers
                          were sent to African countries
                          where conflict was taking place
                          in order to produce harmony
                          and peace. Except, in TM there
                          is a dress code for "Governors"
                          (Lords of the Astral worlds)
                          and the political leaders in
                          these countries thought the
                          TMers were, actually, CIA.
                          LOL! It is common to send a
                          TM group to Washington D.C.
                          or to NYC when the United Nations
                          is having an important meeting
                          involving World Peace.

                          What's funny is that Klemp
                          has steered away from having
                          synchronized HU Chants/Sings.
                          HK has, even, forbidden local
                          Satangs from having coordinated
                          HU Chants when these are taking
                          place at Major EK Seminars.

                          When one is first initiated
                          into TM there is a ceremony
                          that is similar to the one
                          that Eckankar uses, except,
                          for some minor differences.
                          Fruit is brought as a gift and
                          is presented to the initiator.
                          The initiator has a white
                          handkerchief where he/she
                          places white rice upon. Both
                          the fruit and "White" rice are
                          offered as gifts to the gods
                          (devas). Prayers, are said to
                          invoke the Devas while incense
                          is burned. After this your
                          Mantra will be given to you as
                          decided by the initiator from
                          a booklet provided to him/her.
                          It is repeated and the initiator
                          makes sure you understand
                          how it is to be pronounced.
                          But, they will, also, tell you
                          that the pronunciation may
                          change and that this is normal.

                          As one progresses in TM
                          Sutras are taught at retreats
                          and in group situations.
                          These advanced courses
                          are more and more expensive
                          and time consuming to
                          practice on a daily basis.
                          One meditates, reads the
                          vedas etc., listens to audios,
                          repetes sutras, levitates
                          (hops), and reflects. There
                          is always a tweaking while
                          adding to one's daily "Program."

                          What's amusing is that when
                          I was joining Eckankar the
                          membership donation fee
                          was being raised and I heard
                          some lower initiates complain
                          about not having the time to
                          do a 20 minute spiritual exercise/
                          contemplation (once per day)!
                          I set them straight. I told them
                          that the cost of the TM Siddhis
                          Program alone amounted to
                          at least 20 years of Eckankar
                          membership and that 20 minutes
                          once a day was nothing when
                          compared to doing, for one hour,
                          "The Program" TWICE a day!

                          Eckists are such wimps!

                          Prometheus

                          On Transendental Meditatiion and eckankar