Re: [EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous] Where I Stand

  • Janice Pfeiffer
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 17, 2012
      Thank you Russ for such a good description of your experience.  I too enjoyed the sound part of eckankar teachings and I continued to use Hu for a while after leaving until I found other words to use.  There was a lot of good stuff in eckankar teachings but for me it was spoiled by the fact that Twitchell stole most of it from others.  I would prefer to read the originals.  The way I see it is that eckankar can't stop those who leave from using any of the techniques they learned as eckist if it is beneficial.  The effect eckankar has had on me is lasting.  I don't feel I could ever feel comfortable joining any kind of spiritual or religious group again.  I read all kinds of stuff and find bits and pieces that are useful to me.  I don't know if this is the best way or not to seek enlightenment but it is the only way I can go at this point.  I do so enjoy reading the experiences that others have had in eckankar and since leaving.  It makes me feel less alone in my own journey.  It can feel lonely when you aren't able to share with others what I consider the most crucial part of my life and development.  The one thing I can't forgive or forget about eckankar is the lies.  To me this is inexcusable.  I hope through hearing from people like you I will be able to put these things more in prospective one way or another.  I feel it would be better for me to let go of it all together because in sorting out these things for myself, eckankar still has a certain amount of my attention.  I don't think about it continually but wasting any time on eckankar to me some how seems like a waste.  There will always be people like Klemp, Twitchell and Gross who use other people for self glorification.  Part of me just can't seem to let go because I  see eckankar as highly destructive to impressionable people who are looking for truth while eckankar will give them only lies.  Sometimes I feel pulled by what is right for me and the idea that since I participated, maybe I have some responsibility toward others.  These can be such gray areas when one seeks to do what is right.  I could certainly use yours and the ideas of others about how you view these things.  Thanks

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 17, 2012
        Hello All,
        Interesting. Yes, Klemp,
        Gross and Twitchell
        have taught us about
        the religious con. Many
        Eckists are still learning
        and will never understand
        the lesson. The longer
        one remains under the
        influence the more stuck
        they become. These long-
        time EKists are generally
        identified via impressive
        titles and higher initiations.
        Other than that these three
        were not true teachers and
        certainly weren't masters...
        except at deceit.

        I think that the best lie can
        be told when the teller allows
        himself to believe it as well.
        Plus, of course, a little truth
        mixed in also helps to make
        it more believable.

        Twitchell (and Gail) were the
        two originators of the lie and
        were more aware of the distortions
        than the Twitchells' followers.

        Next came Gross (and Gail
        again). By being once removed
        from the con it appears that
        Darwin did, at first, believe
        some of Twitchell's religious
        myth. But, Gail, of course,
        never believed any of Paul's
        Mastership Stories. She did
        like the attention, to a degree,
        and the friendships she had
        made. Mostly, she likes the
        things that money could/can
        buy.

        Next came Klemp. He despised
        Darwin because of the womanizing,
        flashy egocentric appearance,
        and DG's big spending habits.
        However, HK was also envious
        of Darwin's power and title/status.
        Klemp learned how to "play-the-
        game" in order to be released
        early from a mental institution
        in 1970 and flew under the radar
        to have Darwin trust him and
        need him (depend upon him)
        to write EK publications.

        Klemp showed Darwin what he
        wanted to see... a meek and mild
        admirer who was easily controlled.
        This way Darwin could continue
        to have fun and the admiration
        of Eckists while Klemp would run
        the business and write the books.

        Since Klemp is more removed
        from the original truth of Eckankar
        being a scam and a vocation for
        the Twitchells' I do think that he's
        deluded enough to believe the
        hype... to a certain point. Plus,
        Gail's not going to tell him the
        truth anyway because she'd be
        admitting to her participation
        in the scam! BTW- Did you know
        that Harold's daughter, Marion,
        has the middle name of Gail.

        Klemp wants to believe the hype
        because he's not only a narcissist,
        and is vain, but he's also mentally
        unstable.

        He a big fan of the "as if" pretend
        principle. When people write to him
        and say they saw him in their dreams
        yada, yada, yada, he actually believes
        it.... to a degree. The problem is
        that Klemp doesn't remember any
        of it! He's unaware of what's going
        on (on the "INNER") and that's why
        he needs Eckists to "write" to him
        via their snail-mail testimonials.

        So, how does HK rationalize it?
        Well, he's getting what he wants...
        financial security, admiration,
        and he's the boss!

        Eckists get what they want
        and need. Someone to look
        up to, worship, dream of &
        journal, believe in and trust!
        And, they have EK Centers,
        Worship Services, HU Sings,
        Harji potlucks, their books,
        CDs, DVDs, jewelry, a Temple,
        seminars, invisible and
        immortal ECK Masters and
        those Higher Initiations!

        Prometheus

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 17, 2012
          "I read all kinds of stuff and find bits and pieces that are useful to
          me.I don't know if this is the best way or not to seek enlightenment
          but it is the only way I can go at this point."

          What I have found about reading is that readings don't always divulge
          their source(s), author(s) and history(s). In many cases (I have found,
          especially with religions and ancient history) most, if not all of
          those things appear to get embellished, and / or turn into pseudo
          man-made history and religion. If a "compiler" knows the source(s) from
          which they compile(d) and attribute(s) a different source, author,
          history ...? I naturally ask: What does it mean? Does it even convey
          natural events and history?

          The only thing I know to help is exploring and checking the "source(s)"
          of what I read. This is not something I did very much in the beginning
          with Eckankar writings. However, I think it probably one of the sure
          ways to arrive at a more comprehensive truth. Even if it means death of
          an ideal.

          The harder part, in my experience, is finding another more ideal ideal.
          One closer to the actual truth about God, Soul and Spiritual matters
          (Including what is heaven and hell really?). IMO, this - the final
          interpretation - does not have to hinge on the opinions, beliefs,
          writings of others alone. It can hinge on what I alone KNOW to be true.

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 17, 2012
            "Plus, Gail's not going to tell him the truth anyway because she'd be
            admitting to her participation
            in the scam!"

            According to the "contract of sale", I believe, Gail was released from
            all liability for the writings of Paul Twitchell. Therefore it is
            possible that Gail is not legally liable for any of it.

            There was a copy of the contract of sale on the Internet once, but I
            don't believe it's available any more. I do remember something about
            this, though. As I read the document when it was public domain.

            I do see your point about Gail not admitting much. However, I really,
            really, really wish she would write a tell-all book some day. I think
            she could make a fortune on something like this. Really I do! At the
            same time, I also wonder about if any other "legal" agreements were
            struck between Gail and others that are not available to the public. I
            haven't seen any, but I do wonder if Gail ever agreed (in writing) NOT
            TO do something like a tell-all book. Not now. Not ever.

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 17, 2012
              Thank you also etznab.  You said it much better than I ever could.  There is a lot of widom in your words.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 17, 2012
                I was reading Minnesota's requirements for a nonprofit org since the rules for such are governed by state laws except for some federal regulations concerning tax exemptions.  According to what I read, members of a nonprofit org have a right to vote on the board of directors.  I don't recall eckankar ever giving card toting members a chance to make any decisions much less vote on who occupies the board of directors.  I also read that the board members and other officials can change the by laws of the org as they see fit.

                I was reading about such things because I wondered if the state of Minnesota was especial beneficial as far as gaining and maintaining nonprofit status.  I am thinking that they have a lot more casual view of nonprofit orgs than maybe most others.  So maybe it is not just that it is familiar territory for Klemp.  They may actually have an easier time maintianing their status there.

                Any comments about members being allowed to vote on the board members?  Can you imagine eckankar letting members do that?  I wonder if that would pertain to all members or just local members?  I guess what I mean is if that would pertain to out of state and or out of country members.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 17, 2012
                  Try researching the definition for corporation sole.

                  A corporation sole is a legal entity consisting of a single ("sole")
                  incorporated office, occupied by a single ("sole") man or woman. [....]

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation_sole

                  My impression "according to Darwin Gross" is that Harold turned
                  Eckankar into a corporation sole. Someone would have to follow up on
                  this and check for verification. If corporation sole is what Eckankar
                  is, then I don't know if members need be allowed to vote, or if a board
                  can in any way trump the single individual in charge.

                  Can a non-profit be a corporation sole? One would have to determine
                  that first. I think they can, but are not sure.

                  Member is another word one needs to follow up on and how it is defined.
                  One could argue that not all people as part of a non-profit are members
                  with legal voting rights.

                  Whether members can vote is probably a mute point, IMO. I don't think
                  the org. / corp. is set up that way. Not according to what I have read.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 18, 2012
                    Page search for the word amended here.

                    http://web.archive.org/web/20091130045925/http://darwingrosstruthfile.homestead.com/DGTFitem3.html

                    If link doesn't work, try this one.

                    http://tinyurl.com/77ovjme

                    --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, Janice Pfeiffer <jepfeiffer@...> wrote:

                    > I was reading Minnesota's requirements for a nonprofit org since the rules for such are governed by state laws except for some federal regulations concerning tax exemptions.  According to what I read, members of a nonprofit org have a right to vote on the board of directors.  I don't recall eckankar ever giving card toting members a chance to make any decisions much less vote on who occupies the board of directors.  I also read that the board members and other officials can change the by laws of the org as they see fit.
                    >
                    > I was reading about such things because I wondered if the state of Minnesota was especial beneficial as far as gaining and maintaining nonprofit status.  I am thinking that they have a lot more casual view of nonprofit orgs than maybe most others.  So maybe it is not just that it is familiar territory for Klemp.  They may actually have an easier time maintianing their status there.
                    >
                    > Any comments about members being allowed to vote on the board members?  Can you imagine eckankar letting members do that?  I wonder if that would pertain to all members or just local members?  I guess what I mean is if that would pertain to out of state and or out of country members.

                  • etznab18
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 18, 2012
                      While on the link, also search for the word "conspir" - that will bring up all the words containing it and the places where they appear.

                      What was that personal e-mail sent to Prometheus recently that got posted here? Didn't it presume something about a group of people, whatever, doing something.

                      I have to check if the word conspired was there.

                      OK. Just adding links and noting information for reference purposes.

                      --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "etznab18" <etznab@...> wrote:

                      > Page search for the word amended here.
                      >
                      > http://web.archive.org/web/20091130045925/http://darwingrosstruthfile.homestead.com/DGTFitem3.html
                      >
                      > If link doesn't work, try this one.
                      >
                      > http://tinyurl.com/77ovjme
                      >
                      > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, Janice Pfeiffer <jepfeiffer@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I was reading Minnesota's requirements for a nonprofit org since the rules for such are governed by state laws except for some federal regulations concerning tax exemptions.  According to what I read, members of a nonprofit org have a right to vote on the board of directors.  I don't recall eckankar ever giving card toting members a chance to make any decisions much less vote on who occupies the board of directors.  I also read that the board members and other officials can change the by laws of the org as they see fit.
                      > >
                      > > I was reading about such things because I wondered if the state of Minnesota was especial beneficial as far as gaining and maintaining nonprofit status.  I am thinking that they have a lot more casual view of nonprofit orgs than maybe most others.  So maybe it is not just that it is familiar territory for Klemp.  They may actually have an easier time maintianing their status there.
                      > >
                      > > Any comments about members being allowed to vote on the board members?  Can you imagine eckankar letting members do that?  I wonder if that would pertain to all members or just local members?  I guess what I mean is if that would pertain to out of state and or out of country members.

                    • etznab18
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 18, 2012
                        One revision to add. I think it's message 6210 that I mentioned.

                        Page search for the word group in that message and compare with what Darwin Gross said happened.

                        http://tinyurl.com/77ovjme

                        For me, personally, I'm just checking to see if any substance to this idea about people knowing things, but doing other.

                        In a nutshell, I sort of imagine Eckankar (the org. structure, etc.) was faced with imminent implosion in the 1980s. Unless power were consolidated under a single individual (or core group of people) there would have been endless bickering / fighting with no real fixes put in place, imo. Sort of like the American two-party system negating and canceling out eachother.

                        By 1987 when I joined Eckankar, the structure had already changed. Paul's books / files had been sold (by Gail to Eckankar, c/o Darwin Gross, whatever), some destroyed, some key people in the beginning of Eckankar had left the org., or were sent packing, I mean Darwin Gross was long gone, the books were being revised and edited further, all these things and more were done before I even became a member. And for the past five or so years I've been HAVING FUN [NOT] trying to find out so much of that past history on my own (helped by others - including ESA). And to my credit I've compiled user-friendly files in timeline format so I can target an area, a time period, and facilitate a deeper review by looking at what has already been given, written, etc.). Lots of people have helped with this, whether knowing or not, including ESA. Much of the trivia out in public domain I've compiled and done further research on (I don't know of many other people who have done so in the same fashion, or to the same extent. There is at least one other person I know about ...)

                        Having documents and book information, etc. helps when discussing things ... and so I don't have to come across as a heretic, or (so to speak) have my battleship blown out of the water by anybody and everybody who simply says: "Yeah right. That's just heresy. You have no proof." To the contrary. this stuff - numerous files - helps to keep me up to speed about the contradictions and issues, etc. Moreso, it helps to have a format where I can locate the information quickly and easily (like when discussing things here, or elsewhere). And when new information is found I can update the older material.

                        This idea about a covert group, or groups, doing things that led to a change in Eckankar "structure" (including the history and writings) is intriguing to me, to say the least. I've given up doing as much collecting of information as I used to about all this stuff, nevertheless, I'm starting to review once again that pivotal era of the 1980s just to see what more (anything new) can be learned.

                        Thanks to everyone for sharing, discussing, looking at this stuff again and again. For letting me (and others) belong to ESA. It helps to fill in the missing pieces, but not everybody wants (or likes) to talk about this stuff. maybe it's just not FUN enough :)

                        Etznab

                        P.S.

                        "He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the
                        present controls the past." - George Orwell, 1984

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 19, 2012
                          Hello Etznab and All,
                          Klemp had the corporate
                          by-laws for Eckankar
                          rewritten after Darwin
                          was booted. Therefore,
                          the President of Eckankar
                          was no longer the head
                          of the org and of the
                          church.

                          Darwin screwed up by
                          not stating on stage or
                          in print that he, as the
                          Mahanta, was still the
                          head of Eckankar and
                          that Harold, as LEM, was
                          overseeing other areas.
                          Upon acceptance Harold
                          would not have had the
                          legal ground to present
                          a challenge. In Darwin's
                          day the ECK Board, 8th
                          initiates, still had a real
                          voice and vote. The by-laws
                          were written as such.
                          And, IMO, the Board (8ths)
                          would never have sided
                          with a new 12th initiate
                          LEM over the 14th initiate
                          Mahanta.

                          BTW- When Twitchell
                          first defined the LEM
                          he made no mention
                          of the Mahanta. It wasn't
                          until 1969 that he created
                          the Mahanta title and
                          rewrites began. Just
                          look at the definition
                          for LEM in, even, HK's
                          first Lexicon. There's
                          no mention of the
                          "Mahanta" in the body
                          of the definition. At
                          the bottom it states:
                          (see Mahanta).

                          And, Klemp did his own
                          revisions by stating that
                          even though the LEM is
                          synonymous with being
                          the Mahanta... that the
                          LEM is "in training" until
                          he can become a "Full"
                          14th Mahanta. Why did
                          Klemp feel this additional
                          clarification as necessary?
                          It's because Darwin was
                          the LEM/Mahanta! Therefore
                          Klemp had to make it seem
                          that he was either on the
                          same Initiation Level or
                          Higher than Gross. After
                          all, how could a new 12th
                          LEM have the Hierarchal
                          authority to unseat a "Full"
                          14th (or higher) Mahanta
                          otherwise? He wouldn't
                          and there lies the rub!
                          Klemp's ekplanation
                          is called "tying up loose
                          ends."

                          Anyway, HK now has
                          "sole" authority to hire
                          and fire and to make
                          all decisions. Peter Skelsky,
                          the President of Eckankar,
                          works for Klemp and
                          runs the business side
                          of Eckankar.

                          The ECK Board members,
                          also, sit at Klemp's pleasure
                          and serve as a sounding
                          board for him. He merely
                          considers their opinions
                          but is under no obligation
                          to follow anything they
                          might suggest or vote
                          upon. They simply keep
                          him up-to-date and
                          informed on various
                          issues and assignments.

                          As Above, So Below.

                          The chartered Satsang
                          Societies are set up
                          in the same manner
                          as the ECK Board at
                          the ESC and follow
                          hierarchal procedure.
                          Generally, however,
                          the President of the
                          Satsang Society doesn't
                          have nearly as much
                          authority or oversight
                          duties as does their
                          counterpart, at the ESC,
                          Peter Skelsky. Then,
                          again, some RESAs
                          aren't very "hands on"
                          and tend to designate
                          more responsibility to
                          others.

                          The RESAs, basically,
                          have been given sole
                          church authority over
                          those Eckists within
                          their regional areas.
                          They hire, fire, promote
                          and oversee the local
                          operations and mission
                          of the Satsang Society
                          based upon field-tested
                          Guidelines supplied to
                          them by the ESC. Of course,
                          ECK-ankar is a hierarchy
                          and even RESAs answer
                          to higher ups at the ESC
                          assigned (by HK or his
                          emissaries) to oversee
                          them. Harold is the "sole"
                          piece of crap in charge
                          of this minor New Age
                          religious con and cult.

                          Prometheus

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 19, 2012
                            "And, IMO, the Board (8ths) would never have sided with a new 12th
                            initiate LEM over the 14th initiate Mahanta."

                            I remember reading something about four 8th initiate grandmothers, or
                            something. Let me see.

                            (7) Four "eighth initiates" demanded Harold takeover the Eckankar
                            Corporation in a letter to certain Trustees (concealed from myself,
                            Alan Nichols and Bob Brant). The letter was signed by four women, most
                            or all of whom were grandmothers. It was used by the conspirators to
                            cover-up the takeover power grab.

                            http://tinyurl.com/77ovjme

                            Just thought that was relevant here.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 19, 2012
                              Hello Etznab and All,
                              Yes, after Klemp took
                              over he devised a plan
                              to demonize Darwin
                              in order to appear as
                              if he was more spiritual,
                              innocent and pure.

                              HK fooled them all!

                              The truth is Klemp was
                              never good at sharing
                              nor playing and working
                              well with others.

                              As I said, DG screwed
                              up by handing the EK
                              car keys over to HK.

                              Plus, let's not forget that
                              Darwin had divorced Gail
                              and that she had a lot of
                              ECK friends and admirers.
                              Many were 7ths and 8ths
                              and they felt sorry for her
                              because they felt DG had
                              dishonored her and caste
                              her aside. They related to
                              this. Of course, these Eckists
                              didn't know the real Gail
                              and that she was a master
                              manipulator who inspired
                              and assisted Paul with the
                              con. Behind their backs,
                              she laughed at them all
                              for believing in Paul's lies
                              and trickery. Of course,
                              she also laughed all the
                              way to the bank after that
                              buyout of $500K and is
                              a millionaire even today!

                              Prometheus

                              etznab@... wrote:

[...]

                            • Tyson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 28, 2012
                                Harold Klemp is a big poser. Tell me something I dont know.