Re: To join a religion for monitary reasons, or not?

  • ctecvie
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
      Hello Liz,

      > Liz writes: LOL So in other words, it's okay to join eckankar
      >for the
      > Org's monetary benefit? Hey maybe one of these years eckankrap
      >will offer
      > grade K thru 12 schooling right on the eck campus? I doubt
      they >would offer a
      > discount to the eck members, but maybe to outsiders as a ploy to
      >get them to
      > join the cult?!

      In Nigeria, there's a "Harold Klemp College"! Of course it's not
      from Eckankar, but Eckankar is so strong in this country that they
      even named a college after HK. Now membership numbers were dropping
      as the former resa left to follow Michael Owens ... trading one scam
      for another ...

      By the way, there was another post in response to the question
      whether one should join a religion for monetary reasons:

      "Interesting. But how would we feel, if let's say Eckankar would
      have a
      school and here comes someone, firmly anchored in his believes and
      just to
      get the discount becomes a member of Eckankar. Would we feel
      comfortable
      with a guy like that in our midst? Would we consider this guy honest
      or
      would we consider him a traitor of his own believes? Can someone
      follow two
      masters?"

      Strong words ... :-)
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
        Look for another way to pay the $3000.00--I wonder where a person
        would look? There was no suggestion, but I guess going on the inner
        might be a way of finding the answer. I think it is interesting that
        this person shared this problem on the eck chat site, attempting to
        drag in a group concensus I guess! I'm sure the church would not
        mind that these people join their church even though it is rather
        for fraudulent reasons--after all this church can certainly work to
        influence the children to accept their beliefs. It seems like a bit
        of gambling with the young minds of children on both sides of this
        coin! LOL!

        I was watching a re-run of a Law and Order show the other night. An
        ex-police woman who worked as a security guard got into dealing in
        drugs that led to murder. Her justification for these terrible
        criminal activities was to give her daughters better opportunities
        which included a nice home and expensive private school. I actually
        wonder why the eckist on HuChat didn't check out the public schools
        and move into a school district that provided a better safe
        atmosphere for the children. Paying more for a good home in a better
        area probably would have been the wiser and simpler investment, and
        this problem of education would have been resolved in a more
        economic way. As for values, I never wanted my children to be
        influenced by the attitudes of their educators beyond learning to
        obey rules/law and being considerate of their fellowman. I rather
        doubt that the indoctrination taught in church schools is better
        than "public"
        schools.

        Mish

        --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, ewickings@a...