To join a religion for monitary reasons, or not?

  • ewickings@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
      Hi folks,

      Been reading from hu-chat and came across a post from a guy that has a dilemma...  should he join a church and be baptized so that he will receive a $3000 discount for his son to attend the church's school that teaches better values.  Or maybe he might want to consider metahu's thoughts;

      MetaHu aka Linda wrote:

      <snipped>
          Perhaps there is a way
      that you can find the $3000 elsewhere...? To my mind, joining a
      church for monetary reasons is a kind of backwards way to do
      things... but that is only my own opinion.

      Liz writes:   LOL   So in other words, it's okay to join eckankar for the Org's monetary benefit?   Hey maybe one of these years eckankrap will offer grade K thru 12 schooling right on the eck campus?    I doubt they would offer a discount to the eck members, but maybe to outsiders as a ploy to get them to join the cult?!
    • ctecvie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
        Hello Liz,

        > Liz writes: LOL So in other words, it's okay to join eckankar
        >for the
        > Org's monetary benefit? Hey maybe one of these years eckankrap
        >will offer
        > grade K thru 12 schooling right on the eck campus? I doubt
        they >would offer a
        > discount to the eck members, but maybe to outsiders as a ploy to
        >get them to
        > join the cult?!

        In Nigeria, there's a "Harold Klemp College"! Of course it's not
        from Eckankar, but Eckankar is so strong in this country that they
        even named a college after HK. Now membership numbers were dropping
        as the former resa left to follow Michael Owens ... trading one scam
        for another ...

        By the way, there was another post in response to the question
        whether one should join a religion for monetary reasons:

        "Interesting. But how would we feel, if let's say Eckankar would
        have a
        school and here comes someone, firmly anchored in his believes and
        just to
        get the discount becomes a member of Eckankar. Would we feel
        comfortable
        with a guy like that in our midst? Would we consider this guy honest
        or
        would we consider him a traitor of his own believes? Can someone
        follow two
        masters?"

        Strong words ... :-)
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2005
          Look for another way to pay the $3000.00--I wonder where a person
          would look? There was no suggestion, but I guess going on the inner
          might be a way of finding the answer. I think it is interesting that
          this person shared this problem on the eck chat site, attempting to
          drag in a group concensus I guess! I'm sure the church would not
          mind that these people join their church even though it is rather
          for fraudulent reasons--after all this church can certainly work to
          influence the children to accept their beliefs. It seems like a bit
          of gambling with the young minds of children on both sides of this
          coin! LOL!

          I was watching a re-run of a Law and Order show the other night. An
          ex-police woman who worked as a security guard got into dealing in
          drugs that led to murder. Her justification for these terrible
          criminal activities was to give her daughters better opportunities
          which included a nice home and expensive private school. I actually
          wonder why the eckist on HuChat didn't check out the public schools
          and move into a school district that provided a better safe
          atmosphere for the children. Paying more for a good home in a better
          area probably would have been the wiser and simpler investment, and
          this problem of education would have been resolved in a more
          economic way. As for values, I never wanted my children to be
          influenced by the attitudes of their educators beyond learning to
          obey rules/law and being considerate of their fellowman. I rather
          doubt that the indoctrination taught in church schools is better
          than "public"
          schools.

          Mish

          --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, ewickings@a...