About Rebazar Tarzs

  • etznab18
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012
      The following two quotes are from Introduction to Eckankar, 1966 by Paul Twitchell

      "My sole purpose was to find the elusive Tibetan Lama, known as Rebazar Tarzs, of whom I had heard much of from the late Sudar Singh at Allahabad. [....] - p. 27

      "Sudar Singh often spoke of Rebazar Tarzs, a Tibetan saint, whom he said was reputed to be over five hundred years old, and was at the time, living in the foothills between Darjeeling and Gangtock somewhere ... ." - p. 28

      *********

      Apparently, according to the stories told by Paul Twitchell early on, he heard about Rebazar Tarzs from Sudar Singh; later on he would write (in so many words) that Sudar Singh led him to Rebazar Tarzs.

      When the glossary for Eckankar, The Key to Secret Worlds appeared in print, it said about Rebazar Tarzs:

      "The great ECK master living in the Hindu Kush mountains, supposedly over five hundred years old. He is the emissary of ECKANKAR in the physical universe." - p. 249

      *********

      Apparently then, Rebazar Tarzs fits the characterization of someone living near the Himalayas and reported to be over 500 years old.

      Since Radhasoami & Ruhani Satsang don't (far as I know) tell stories about a character fitting that description, I doubt the person (Sudar Singh) that Paul referred to (in this instance) could be Kirpal Singh. It would be more logical, IMO, to look at Swami Premananda and Kriya Yoga stories where the number 500 years and older does appear; and fits the description for a master said to be living in the same general neighborhood as (described by Paul for) Rebazar Tarzs.

      I'm simply trying to trace certain history of Rebazar Tarzs and where it might have originated. Truth is, there was another 500+ master in the foothills of the Himalayas.

      "In 1861, Lahiri was transferred to Ranikhet, in the foothills of the Himalayas. One day, while walking in the hills, he heard a voice calling to him. After climbing further, he met his Guru Mahavatar Babaji, who initiated him into the techniques of Kriya Yoga. Babaji told Lahiri that the rest of his life was to be given to spreading the Kriya message.[1]"

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahiri_Mahasaya

      "Swami Pranabananda Giri, another disciple of Lahiri Mahasaya, also met Mahavatar Babaji in the presence of Lahiri Mahasaya, at Lahiri's home. Pranabananda asked Mahavatar Babaji his age. Mahavatar Babaji responded that he was about 500 years old at that time.[4]"

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahavatar_Babaji

      I've no doubt Paul Twitchell heard the stories about Babaji when he lived near the Self-Revelation compound in D.C. for nearly 5 years from 1950-1955. Eckankar stories have it that Paul Twitchell met Rebazar Tarzs in 1951. Notice how it says "first met ... in 1951":

      "Paul first met Rebazar Tarzs in 1951 in the foothills of the Himalayas near Darjeeling. [....]" - Harold Klemp

      http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/man2.html

      OK. So David Lane talked with Paul Twitchell's first wife who lived with him at the ashram. David writes:

      "Hmm, his first wife, Camille Ballowe Taylor, states univocally that they never traveled together (or apart) from 1946 to 1955 anywhere outside of the United States. Indeed, she says Paul and her were doing the 'Self-Revelation Church of Absolute Monism' at the time and helping to edit their publications. [....]"

      http://dlane5.tripod.com/reba1.html

      Harold Klemp writes:

      "Paul became interested in occult teachings around 1950. About this time he hooked up with Swami Premananda, who headed the Self-Revelation Church of Absolute Monism in Washington, D.C. Paul and his wife lived in the ashram on church property for quite some time."

      http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/hisStory.html#trail

      According to David Lane:

      He [Paul Twitchell] replaced the names of his actual teachers, Swami Premananda and Kirpal Singh, with the names "Sudar Singh" and "Rebazar Tarzs."

      http://webspace.webring.com/people/de/eckcult/chapters/tmsm5.html

      I'm not certain why David Lane wrote that. Perhaps he had some literal examples to back up the statement. What is interesting to me is that Paul Twitchell did "go from Premananda to Kirpal Singh". (Remember, according to Paul's story - the later version, at least - it was Sudar Singh who led him to Rebazar Tarzs.

      The whole thing gets really confusing because "Sudar Singh" also appears in place of Kirpal Singh.

      Chapter 1, March-April, 1966, Orion Magazine: "Each has had a place in my growth toward the spiritual goal; each are equally great in their work for mankind. However, I have felt a closer kinship and friendliness to Kirpal Singh, who has shown me a lot of the other work during my first year or so under him. Since we have parted he keeps an impartial view toward me and my research. Therefore, if I quote him in these pages it is because I feel that he is sympathetic and interested in my work."

      Chapter 1, The Flute of God, 1970: "Each has had a place in my growth toward the spiritual goal; each is equally great in his work for mankind. However, I have felt a closer kinship and friendliness to Sudar Singh, who showed me a lot of the other work, during my first year or so under him. Since we have parted he has retained an impartial view toward me and my research.
      "If I quote him in these pages it is because I feel that he is sympathetic and interested in my work and led me to Rebazar Tarzs."

      http://www.littleknownpubs.com/Dialog_Ch_Five.htm

      http://webspace.webring.com/people/de/eckcult/chapters/tmsm2.html

      http://webspace.webring.com/people/de/eckcult/chapters/tmsm5.html

      Sudar Singh led Paul Twitchell to Rebazar Tarzs?

      Sudar Singh often spoke of Rebazar Tarzs?

      Paul Twitchell heard much of Rebazar Tarzs from Sudar Singh?

      [Then where is Sudar Singh mentioned in the book: Those Wonderful Eck Masters? Where is Sudar Singh depicted in the new pictorial timeline of Eckankar Masters displayed at public Eckankar events?]

      IMO, stories are what they are. Whether true or false is debatable.
    • etznab18
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012
        Would anybody new to this group like to venture a guess at how many people once claimed, or now claim Rebazar as part of their teachings and / or lineage?

        I'll start the list (in chronological order if possible):

        (1)

        http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Rebazar/index.html

        (2)

        http://atom.org/

        (3)

        http://www.akatha.com/akathas-history-and-its-ties-with-sri-paul-twichell-and-the-old-pre-1972-eckankar-teachings.html

        [Not sure which (from the following list) appeared first. Akatha, Dhunami, or Anton Tonez.]

        (4) This is an old "Dhunami" link. The new (current link) doesn't appear to mention Rebazar Tarzs anywhere.

        http://web.archive.org/web/20100523142406/http://www.atomdoers.org/DhunMasters.html

        http://dhunami.com/

        (5)

        http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.eckankar/browse_thread/thread/c00a0d3da539f700/befd9891989226d3?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=Jambavat#befd9891989226d3

        http://www.aksharavidya.net/cms/upload/bilder/jambavat.jpg

        Did I miss any?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2012
          (6)

          This one appears to include Rebazar Tarzs too.

          Very few knew that Paul Twitchell handed me [Duane Heppner] The Rod of Power in 2001, with Harold and an unconscious Joan standing in the background and watching. Harold decided to go with his attitude about Joan and her relationship with The Three Headed God instead of listening to The RealGuidance. I would like to thank Darwin and Harold and especially Joan for their cooperation in creating this adventure for me, because it helped motivate me to become The Great Writer I enjoy being today. [....]

          http://www.storyofmylife.com/User/user_story_view.aspx?storyId=4871&UserId=184140&ChapterId=8936

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2012
            Hello Etznab,
            I'll have to agree that
            Sudar Singh was really
            Kirpal Singh. Paul lied
            about who Sudar was.

            BTW- Sudar Singh is
            listed in Klemp's ECK
            Lexicon as the LEM who
            taught Twitchell, thus,
            it seems that Kirpal
            (Sudar) was actually
            the 970th LEM since
            Rebazar is fictitious.

            Also, in Twitchell's June
            1971 interviews printed
            in:

            "Difficulties Of Becoming
            The Living ECK Master."

            PT stated that he was 15
            years old (pg. 48) when
            he traveled from "Paris"
            to India where PT states
            he got his 2nd initiation
            from Sudar Singh. All of
            this distorted info comes
            directly from Twitchell's
            own mouth!

            Even the ECKankar spokes-
            person, Doug Marman,
            has stated that Twitchell
            was lying and misdirected
            people into thinking this
            was Paris, France (where
            PT went to visit his sister)
            when it was actually Paris,
            Kentucky! I, also, doubt
            that Twit flew from Paris,
            Kentucky to India! When
            you catch a person in one
            lie it makes you wonder
            how many other lies there
            were/are.

            Klemp states that PT was
            born in 1908, but it really
            doesn't matter because it
            was between 1908-1910.

            Let's say PT was born
            in 1908. This means
            that when he was 15
            (pg.48) and got his 2nd
            initiation from Sudar
            the year was 1923.

            Note: Klemp mentions
            in the Paul Twitchell
            (born 1908) info on
            Eckankar.org that PT
            was "Twisting Facts"
            and "Exaggerating"
            at age 27 (1935) to
            get into "Who's Who
            in Kentucky" and that
            Twitchell had never
            been all that far from
            home. Paul's first wife
            stated that he had
            never been outside
            of the U.S. until he
            joined the Navy in 1942.

            PT claims that on the
            next (2nd) trip to India
            it was 1947. This was
            when he met Rebazar
            and received initiations
            3-7.

            BTW- It seems that Twitchell
            was a 2nd initiate from
            1923-1947....{Sudar had
            died in 1937 (pg. 45)}

            I wonder who PT's master
            was from 1937-47 since
            he says he didn't meet RT
            until 1947?

            And, this means that Twitchell
            was a 2nd initiate for 24
            years... 1923-47!

            And, Rebazar was the fill-
            in LEM since 1937.

            PT claims to have gone
            from 3rd to 7th initiate
            in six to seven months!

            On Twitchell's 3rd trip
            to India (1951), to meet
            Rebazar for the second
            time, PT says he "got the
            finish of my initiations."
            I'm assuming this was
            8-12!

            Now, maybe I'm wrong
            that Sudar Singh was the
            970th LEM.

            Maybe Sudar was the 969th
            LEM and Rebazar (as fill-in)
            was the 970th LEM since
            he, supposedly, gave PT
            the 12th and made him
            the LEM.

            However, was Twitchell
            the LEM in 1951? It sure
            doesn't seem so according
            to Twitchell's writings.
            Or, did Twit get the 12th
            but Not the LEM position?

            This would mean that Rebazar
            was the LEM from 1937-65!
            The truth is, it's all a lie!

            Plus, let's remember this
            too. Twitchell is telling all
            of this in a series of interviews
            in June, 1971 (as the Mahanta).
            And, this was just a few
            months before his untimely
            death. Lies and more lies up
            to his death!

            Anyway, pages 38-48, 70-71
            have all of the info one needs.
            Just remember that Twitchell
            was born in 1908 (close enough),
            and that in June, 1966 Kirpal
            Singh (Paul's real Master)
            returned PT's "The Tiger's Fang"
            manuscript to him. Plus, it
            was January, 1969 that the
            word "Mahanta" was first used
            in print by Twitchell.

            Think about this. If PT was in
            training by Rebazar over all
            these years, as he claimed, and
            received 12 initiations from him,
            one would think that RT would
            have told PT about the 14th
            level/plane and that PT would
            have used the term "Mahanta"
            before 1969!

            Sure, anything can be debated,
            but credibility goes a long way
            in deciding if the person telling
            you all this stuff can be trusted.
            Twitchell was a known and proven
            plagiarist and a liar as pointed
            out by former RESA Ford Johnson,
            by Doug Marman, and even by
            Harold Klemp!

            Regardless of proven facts,
            common sense, logic, and
            past behavior, some people
            will still believe this crap.
            They need to believe in
            something/anything bigger
            and greater than themselves.
            They allow their minds and
            imaginations to be programmed
            to expect and dream of
            scenarios that are "spiritual."

            Prometheus

            etznab wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > I've no doubt Paul Twitchell heard the stories about Babaji when he lived near
            the Self-Revelation compound in D.C. for nearly 5 years from 1950-1955. Eckankar
            stories have it that Paul Twitchell met Rebazar Tarzs in 1951. Notice how it
            says "first met ... in 1951":

            > "Paul first met Rebazar Tarzs in 1951 in the foothills of the Himalayas near
            Darjeeling. [....]" - Harold Klemp

            > http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/man2.html
            >
            > OK. So David Lane talked with Paul Twitchell's first wife who lived with him
            at the ashram. David writes:

            > "Hmm, his first wife, Camille Ballowe Taylor, states univocally that they
            never traveled together (or apart) from 1946 to 1955 anywhere outside of the
            United States. Indeed, she says Paul and her were doing the 'Self-Revelation
            Church of Absolute Monism' at the time and helping to edit their publications.
            [....]"

            > http://dlane5.tripod.com/reba1.html
            >
            > Harold Klemp writes:
            >
            > "Paul became interested in occult teachings around 1950. About this time he
            hooked up with Swami Premananda, who headed the Self-Revelation Church of
            Absolute Monism in Washington, D.C. Paul and his wife lived in the ashram on
            church property for quite some time."

            > http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/hisStory.html#trail
            >
            > According to David Lane:
            >
            > He [Paul Twitchell] replaced the names of his actual teachers, Swami
            Premananda and Kirpal Singh, with the names "Sudar Singh" and "Rebazar Tarzs."

            > http://webspace.webring.com/people/de/eckcult/chapters/tmsm5.html
            >
            > I'm not certain why David Lane wrote that. Perhaps he had some literal
            examples to back up the statement. What is interesting to me is that Paul
            Twitchell did "go from Premananda to Kirpal Singh". (Remember, according to
            Paul's story - the later version, at least - it was Sudar Singh who led him to
            Rebazar Tarzs.

            > The whole thing gets really confusing because "Sudar Singh" also appears in
            place of Kirpal Singh.

            > Chapter 1, March-April, 1966, Orion Magazine: "Each has had a place in my
            growth toward the spiritual goal; each are equally great in their work for
            mankind. However, I have felt a closer kinship and friendliness to Kirpal
            Singh, who has shown me a lot of the other work during my first year or so under
            him. Since we have parted he keeps an impartial view toward me and my research.
            Therefore, if I quote him in these pages it is because I feel that he is
            sympathetic and interested in my work."

            > Chapter 1, The Flute of God, 1970: "Each has had a place in my growth toward
            the spiritual goal; each is equally great in his work for mankind. However, I
            have felt a closer kinship and friendliness to Sudar Singh, who showed me a
            lot of the other work, during my first year or so under him. Since we have
            parted he has retained an impartial view toward me and my research.
            > "If I quote him in these pages it is because I feel that he is
            sympathetic and interested in my work and led me to Rebazar Tarzs."

            > http://www.littleknownpubs.com/Dialog_Ch_Five.htm
            >
            > http://webspace.webring.com/people/de/eckcult/chapters/tmsm2.html
            >
            > http://webspace.webring.com/people/de/eckcult/chapters/tmsm5.html
            >
            > Sudar Singh led Paul Twitchell to Rebazar Tarzs?
            >
            > Sudar Singh often spoke of Rebazar Tarzs?
            >
            > Paul Twitchell heard much of Rebazar Tarzs from Sudar Singh?
            >
            > [Then where is Sudar Singh mentioned in the book: Those Wonderful Eck Masters?
            Where is Sudar Singh depicted in the new pictorial timeline of Eckankar Masters
            displayed at public Eckankar events?]

            > IMO, stories are what they are. Whether true or false is debatable.
            >People do this without putting
            much thought and investigation
            into it, after, they taken the bait.
            Now they're hooked!