Re: A new start (P.S.)

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 20, 2011
      Whoops, Aimee - I forgot something really important! Laughter!!

      It'll get you through the roughest spots, because you might find yourself feeling pretty bad, rent some funny videos, read jokes, oh I'd recommend funny animals on Animal Planet and YouTube!

      And, you can even laugh at some of the most horrible stuff in ekult's "teachings" - okay, on the one hand they're pretty grim, but on the other hand, they're hilarious!! Like, the nonsense about dying in your sleep from black magicians if you don't have the "mahanta" to protect you! Good grief, we're adults, this crap is *so* hilarious, how did we take it seriously?

      Take care!

      Hugs,

      Sharon
    • dianastanley43
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 21, 2011
        Amimee I know how you feel. I have been out of Eck some 30 yrs. I got out when Darwin went crazy. I remember thinking maybe Paul is still the mahanta and rebazar is still around. That kept me going for a while untill I had to admit the trough. Eck never was a spiritual path it was all a figment of Pauls imajination. I tried some other paths and finally after a time I realized I had the ability to contact directly what I had been looking for. It took me a few yrs to finally feel I was finally on the right path,my own.
        It was the most painful experience I had ever had.
        Much love Diana

        --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon" <brighttigress@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Okay, I was just rambling, if you'd like, feel free to write to me and I'll try to help. I think the best way to deal with your sister, etc., is to stay close but just don't discuss ekult, or anything "spiritual" - I do hope that's possible!! It's sad, but over the years I've heard from so many people who were ostracized and shunned by eckist family members, and that's just not right!! Many former members still have eckist friends, true friends - but quite often they find that without ekult, there's just no real basis for true friendship.
        >
        > Anyway, you *will* settle into freedom, and you'll love it!! Just be patient, be good to yourself - try to do things to take your mind off it, see "normal" people and do "normal" things as much as possible. Get fresh air & exercise - trees are very healing!! If you used to spend a lot of time on cultstuff, if you're able, do some volunteer work.
        >
        > Gotta go, be happy!!
        >
        > Hugs,
        >
        > Sharon
        >

        > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "williamsaimee86" <williamsaimee86@> wrote:
        > >
        > > My name is aimee. I was a part of Eckankar since 1999.
        > >
        > > My sister and her husband are eckist and so are her kids. She lives 10 minutes away. They worship Harold and many high initiates.
        > >
        > > I have stopped my membership. I will cancel it by mail this week. My biggest question is how do you feel safe in the world with out feeling like you need the protection of the mahanta.
        > >
        > > it scared me a lot to take that pendant off. What on earth do I do to be strong outside of eckankar. I think am going to go back to christianity.
        > >
        > > I feel lost. If anyone wants to be friends please send me a note.
        > >
        > > I want to get better. How long will it take for me to get my land legs?
        > >
        > > Thanks for reading this.
        > >
        > > Aimee
        > >

        > --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "williamsaimee86" <williamsaimee86@> wrote:
        > >
        > > My name is aimee. I was a part of Eckankar since 1999.
        > >
        > > My sister and her husband are eckist and so are her kids. She lives 10 minutes away. They worship Harold and many high initiates.
        > >
        > > I have stopped my membership. I will cancel it by mail this week. My biggest question is how do you feel safe in the world with out feeling like you need the protection of the mahanta.
        > >
        > > it scared me a lot to take that pendant off. What on earth do I do to be strong outside of eckankar. I think am going to go back to christianity.
        > >
        > > I feel lost. If anyone wants to be friends please send me a note.
        > >
        > > I want to get better. How long will it take for me to get my land legs?

      • Austin Atma
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 21, 2011
          "However, what's the need with
          joining another religion? Is it
          a need for being part of a social
          community? If so, then volunteer
          or join a secular community group."

          Sometimes I think the more religion, the more difficulty we're having connecting to the internal "pillars" of our own heart, head, and imagination.  And by "own" I just mean self/other understanding and discovery through common sense connections with life and everything in it.

          All too often we will choose infantile fantasy over common sense and authentic connection.

          Pass the chocolate and airbrushed reality ;-).

          AA

          On Oct 5, 2011, at 2:00 PM, "prometheus_973" <prometheus_973@...> wrote:

          Hello Aimee,
          Why not simply let your
          ECK membership lapse?

          Christianity is even a bigger
          scam, than Eckankar, since
          most of these churches don't
          follow Jesus' teachings 100%.
          They tend to revert back to
          the Old Testament teachings
          which Jesus had issues with
          and was correcting.

          Here's an interesting approach:
          http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/05/science-vs-spirituality-war-of-the-worldviews_n_987121.html

          This is "Science vs Spirituality"
          with a physicist, Leonard Mlodinow,
          who worked on a book with Stephen
          Hawkings and with Deepak Chopra
          who was once involved with TM
          and Maharishi.

          Apparently Chopra was teaching
          Mlodinow about "consciousness"
          (and meditation) while Mlodinow
          was teaching Chopra about physics.
          However, I'm not sure what makes
          Chopra an expert on consciousness
          since Maharishi (his mentor) was
          a conman like Twitchell. TM is a
          religion (a sect of Hinduism), but
          many Western followers see it as
          a "scientific" method to raise consciousness
          and reduce stress.

          Anyway, you might want to
          check it out and/or buy the
          book from Amazon.com

          However, what's the need with
          joining another religion? Is it
          a need for being part of a social
          community? If so, then volunteer
          or join a secular community group.

          Remember, with any religion,
          there's always the pecking order
          i.e. hierarchy and some authority
          figure interpreting scripture for
          you and telling you what to believe.
          Be your own religion! Doesn't
          Soul=Soul? We are all equal in
          Spirit... right! It's all subjective
          and what fits one doesn't always
          fit another, nor was It supposed to!

          Allow Soul's newly found spiritual
          freedom and your own clarity
          of mind to fill-in the void left
          when leaving Eckankar. You are
          no longer Codependent, but it
          takes time to heal. Maybe a 12
          Step Group would help. Check
          the listings in your area.

          Prometheus
          p.s. It shouldn't take you as
          long to get your "land legs"
          as someone else like an H.I.
          with 25-35 years in the cult.
          It also depends upon how
          much you bought into it and
          upon your psychologically
          addictive susceptibility.

          The brain-washing becomes
          more intense with each higher
          initiation. Thus, 8th & 9th
          initiates are, truly, lost Souls!
          The higher one goes and the
          longer they stay the more
          delusional and narrow minded
          they become.

          williamsaimee86@...> wrote:

          > My name is aimee. I was
          a part of Eckankar since 1999.

          > My sister and her husband
          are eckist and so are her kids.
          She lives 10 minutes away.
          They worship Harold and many
          high initiates.

          > I have stopped my membership.
          I will cancel it by mail this week.
          My biggest question is how do
          you feel safe in the world with
          out feeling like you need the
          protection of the mahanta.

          > it scared me a lot to take that
          pendant off. What on earth do
          I do to be strong outside of
          eckankar. I think am going to

          > I feel lost. If anyone wants
          to be friends please send me
          a note.

          > I want to get better. How
          long will it take for me to get
          my land legs?

          > Thanks for reading this.
          >
          > Aimee

        • Austin Atma
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 21, 2011
            On Oct 20, 2011, at 11:55 AM, "Sharon" <brighttigress@...> wrote:

            > Anyway, you *will* settle into freedom, and you'll love it!! Just be patient, be good to yourself - try to do things to take your mind off it, see "normal" people and do "normal" things as much as possible. Get fresh air & exercise - trees are very healing!! If you used to spend a lot of time on cultstuff, if you're able, do some volunteer work.

            Or if you don't watch out it/freedom will settle into you...

            The old cliche of "be yourself" is apt, but if we've been adapting to religion, bosses, spouses, children, and everything else in such a way as to loose track of our own direction it does take time.

            The line from Pink Floyd fits as we "trade a lead role in a cage for a walk on part in a war..." may have garbled it but walking away from the gilded cage is very rewarding. But takes strength and determination to be free. ~ AA
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 21, 2011
              Original Lyrics:

              And did you exchange
              A walk on part in the war
              For a lead role in a cage?

              http://www.amiright.com/misheard/song/wishyouwerehere.shtml

              @ 2 minutes, 48 seconds

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAchKt2xjsw

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 21, 2011

                War = life

                Cage = alleged security of lotus eating ;-)

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 21, 2011
                  And thanks!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 21, 2011
                    How about Tom Petty, Like a Refugee ;-)

                    Eckists who have traveled overland to "Turkey" to escape the totalitarian regime of Eckraq.  What are we doctors without borders?