Re: "The Dark Side of ECKankar" - And More!

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 17, 2011
      Hello Etznab and All,
      This tells how Paul Twitchell
      was His Own Drum Beater:

      http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/hisStory.html

      What's interesting is that at age 27 (1935)
      Twitchell was saying that he had been
      to India (supposedly at age 15 to meet
      Rebazar for the first time, DOBTLEM).
      However, Klemp points out that Twitchell
      was doing another self-promotion, and
      was lying in order to get into Who's Who
      in Kentucky. Klemp states that Twitchell
      had never been all that far from home
      at age 27. Klemp seems to have stepped
      into a big pile of Twits mess. HK's
      statement contradicts what Twitchell
      revealed in Difficulties of Becoming the
      Living ECK Master circa July, 1971. This
      1971 date is, supposedly, long after Twitchell
      (the Mahanta) was was no longer "exaggerating"
      and "twisting facts." However, as Klemp
      has pointed out Twitchell was still lying
      and promoting his con up until his untimely
      and death in September, 1971.

      Prometheus

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 17, 2011
        I think a lot of people can overlook this stuff, thinking that whatever
        Paul Twitchell said/wrote must be the truth. Some people just might not
        care. Well, it's reasonable to suspect this talent - for promotion,
        even when it means making things up, stretching the truth, or just
        plain spinning lies - was used to "create" the Eckankar mythos.

        myth

        1830, from Gk. mythos "speech, thought, story, myth," of unknown origin.

        Myths are "stories about divine beings, generally arranged in a
        coherent system; they are revered as true and sacred; they are endorsed
        by rulers and priests; and closely linked to religion. Once this link
        is broken, and the actors in the story are not regarded as gods but as
        human heroes, giants or fairies, it is no longer a myth but a folktale.
        Where the central actor is divine but the story is trivial ... the
        result is religious legend, not myth." [J. Simpson & S. Roud,
        "Dictionary of English Folklore," Oxford, 2000, p.254]

        General sense of "untrue story, rumor" is from 1840.

        http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=mythos&searchmode=none

        In other words, amid all the compilations and recycled material, etc.,
        context has been changed (in various places) when it comes to source. I
        wonder, could Paul Twitchell have created "Eckankar" and at the same
        time given the source for all of his material? I noticed Kirpal Singh
        and others were very good at citing references and sharing what
        quote/saying came from who. So if Paul Twitchell ever chose to use
        passages and paragraphs from books, Did he always feel obligated to
        provide that information?

        As a promoter, I suspect the person wants to give credit to whatever
        they're promoting and not give more credit to "other products" instead.
        It makes sense (to me) that Paul Twitchell would "paint the name
        Eckankar" over so much material he had read (in so many words). Not
        only this, but it even appears probable that Paul Twitchell took
        liberty to respell and redefine words according to fit them in a new,
        and growing, Eckankar philosophy. Not only words, but names too!

        How extensive the promotion and PR campaign that created contemporary
        Eckankar teaching? In so many ways, it seems this is the part that
        doesn't agree with people. Not unless they knew from the beginning that
        information was not necessarily accurate and in some places embellished.

        embellish

        mid-14c., "to render beautiful," from O.Fr. embelliss-, stem of
        embellir "make beautiful, ornament," from em- (see en- (1)) + bel
        "beautiful," from L. bellus (see bene-). Meaning "dress up (a
        narration) with fictitious matter" is from mid-15c. Related:
        Embellished; embellishing.

        http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=embellished&searchmode=none

        Reading through early Eckankar books I think common sense might tell a
        person that parts of the material was embellished. At the same time I
        also think people could naturally so much want the material to be true
        that they allow imagination to "make it so" and overrule common sense.

        Ever observe what happens when you're part of a group where countless
        individuals believe in things - through imagination - that aren't
        necessarily true? I mean, when you're one of the unbelievers and part
        of the minority who question whether so many imagined things are true?

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 17, 2011
          Hello Etznab and All,
          It's true that most Eckists have
          turned a blind eye towards their
          religion. However, it's done via
          Klemp's subtle and not so subtle
          intimidation tactics such as:

          Going to the "inner" to have
          one's questions answered...
          this is what the more "advanced"
          and "enlightened" Eckists do.

          Using the Buddha quote of, "Is
          it true, is it necessary, is it kind"
          this I ask myself before I speak
          my mind.

          HK writing articles and giving
          talks on the negativity of gossip
          and how it hinders one's "spiritual"
          growth.

          Also, there's the unspoken knowledge
          that those who ask too many questions,
          especially "wrong" questions, will get
          Eckists Black Listed on initiations or
          to have them slowed down 3-5 years
          (on average) longer than normal.

          Plus, Eckankar's Higher Initiates
          (5-7) are a very passive group
          and don't want to question the
          foundation of their religion because
          things are going okay so why rock
          the boat? Being an H.I. is an ego
          trip and a security blanket too.

          And, let's face it, most Eckists don't
          have the time or inclination to research
          the old, P.T., Eckankar texts. They've
          read it all before so why go back and
          read it with new eyes and a changed
          consciousness? However, it does make
          one wonder why they've allowed them-
          selves to be shackled to HK's dogma
          when it's all based upon Twitchell's
          "compilation."

          In PT's Eckankar Dictionary, Shariyat
          One and HK's First Lexicon, they
          tell about the first "root race" called
          the "POLARIANS." Klemp must agree
          with Twitchell on this dogmatic information
          since he put it into his own Eckankar
          Lexicon.

          But, do Eckists really believe in the
          Old Testament Christian Myth about
          the Garden of Eden? Actually, no,
          they don't! I've even read where
          they've made fun of this. How ironic!
          Twitchell not only states that the
          Garden of Eden existed but gives
          his own (revised) names of those
          present. In the ECK version Adam
          becomes "Adom" and Eve becomes
          "Ede" (like in Eden) This is, of course,
          a clear picture of how Twitchell created
          Eckankar. He took certain words,
          names, and information changed
          the text and letters around, or added
          and omitted letters, and made the
          info his own.

          What's really funny is that in defense
          of Twitchell Klemp has claimed that
          Paul "compiled" only the highest teachings
          from around the world in order to
          create the highest "spiritual" teaching
          anywhere and at anytime. Why then,
          did Twitchell use the Garden of Eden
          myth, and create Adom and Ede?
          Is this supposed to be the actual
          account while the Christian version
          is less accurate. This is how Eckists
          rationalize and explain everything
          (the truth) away. ECK is a facsimile
          and everything else is a copy. But
          this shows that all religions are
          distorted and inaccurate copies.

          It really should be embarrassing,
          for Eckists, since this information
          is listed in their first Holy Book
          under Polarian race (check the
          index for the page number).

          Plus, let's face it. This Garden
          of Eden myth is a non-evolutionary
          belief. It was devised during
          a time of ignorance and pre-science
          in order to give a religious explanation
          for creation. And, it's been revised
          even by early Christianity because
          Lillith was supposed to have been
          Adam's first mate who was created