Re: "The Dark Side of ECKankar" - And More!

  • etznab18
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 16, 2011
      Almost didn't see this response because the e-mail bounced.

      Umm ... about the self-promotion, whatever, people can read about some of the history here.

      http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/man.html

      Check out 4th paragraph of article entitled: Paul's Seal of Approval.

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 17, 2011
        Hello Etznab and All,
        This tells how Paul Twitchell
        was His Own Drum Beater:

        http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/hisStory.html

        What's interesting is that at age 27 (1935)
        Twitchell was saying that he had been
        to India (supposedly at age 15 to meet
        Rebazar for the first time, DOBTLEM).
        However, Klemp points out that Twitchell
        was doing another self-promotion, and
        was lying in order to get into Who's Who
        in Kentucky. Klemp states that Twitchell
        had never been all that far from home
        at age 27. Klemp seems to have stepped
        into a big pile of Twits mess. HK's
        statement contradicts what Twitchell
        revealed in Difficulties of Becoming the
        Living ECK Master circa July, 1971. This
        1971 date is, supposedly, long after Twitchell
        (the Mahanta) was was no longer "exaggerating"
        and "twisting facts." However, as Klemp
        has pointed out Twitchell was still lying
        and promoting his con up until his untimely
        and death in September, 1971.

        Prometheus

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 17, 2011
          I think a lot of people can overlook this stuff, thinking that whatever
          Paul Twitchell said/wrote must be the truth. Some people just might not
          care. Well, it's reasonable to suspect this talent - for promotion,
          even when it means making things up, stretching the truth, or just
          plain spinning lies - was used to "create" the Eckankar mythos.

          myth

          1830, from Gk. mythos "speech, thought, story, myth," of unknown origin.

          Myths are "stories about divine beings, generally arranged in a
          coherent system; they are revered as true and sacred; they are endorsed
          by rulers and priests; and closely linked to religion. Once this link
          is broken, and the actors in the story are not regarded as gods but as
          human heroes, giants or fairies, it is no longer a myth but a folktale.
          Where the central actor is divine but the story is trivial ... the
          result is religious legend, not myth." [J. Simpson & S. Roud,
          "Dictionary of English Folklore," Oxford, 2000, p.254]

          General sense of "untrue story, rumor" is from 1840.

          http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=mythos&searchmode=none

          In other words, amid all the compilations and recycled material, etc.,
          context has been changed (in various places) when it comes to source. I
          wonder, could Paul Twitchell have created "Eckankar" and at the same
          time given the source for all of his material? I noticed Kirpal Singh
          and others were very good at citing references and sharing what
          quote/saying came from who. So if Paul Twitchell ever chose to use
          passages and paragraphs from books, Did he always feel obligated to
          provide that information?

          As a promoter, I suspect the person wants to give credit to whatever
          they're promoting and not give more credit to "other products" instead.
          It makes sense (to me) that Paul Twitchell would "paint the name
          Eckankar" over so much material he had read (in so many words). Not
          only this, but it even appears probable that Paul Twitchell took
          liberty to respell and redefine words according to fit them in a new,
          and growing, Eckankar philosophy. Not only words, but names too!

          How extensive the promotion and PR campaign that created contemporary
          Eckankar teaching? In so many ways, it seems this is the part that
          doesn't agree with people. Not unless they knew from the beginning that
          information was not necessarily accurate and in some places embellished.

          embellish

          mid-14c., "to render beautiful," from O.Fr. embelliss-, stem of
          embellir "make beautiful, ornament," from em- (see en- (1)) + bel
          "beautiful," from L. bellus (see bene-). Meaning "dress up (a
          narration) with fictitious matter" is from mid-15c. Related:
          Embellished; embellishing.

          http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=embellished&searchmode=none

          Reading through early Eckankar books I think common sense might tell a
          person that parts of the material was embellished. At the same time I
          also think people could naturally so much want the material to be true
          that they allow imagination to "make it so" and overrule common sense.

          Ever observe what happens when you're part of a group where countless
          individuals believe in things - through imagination - that aren't
          necessarily true? I mean, when you're one of the unbelievers and part
          of the minority who question whether so many imagined things are true?

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 17, 2011
            Hello Etznab and All,
            It's true that most Eckists have
            turned a blind eye towards their
            religion. However, it's done via
            Klemp's subtle and not so subtle
            intimidation tactics such as:

            Going to the "inner" to have
            one's questions answered...
            this is what the more "advanced"
            and "enlightened" Eckists do.

            Using the Buddha quote of, "Is
            it true, is it necessary, is it kind"
            this I ask myself before I speak
            my mind.

            HK writing articles and giving
            talks on the negativity of gossip
            and how it hinders one's "spiritual"
            growth.

            Also, there's the unspoken knowledge
            that those who ask too many questions,
            especially "wrong" questions, will get
            Eckists Black Listed on initiations or
            to have them slowed down 3-5 years
            (on average) longer than normal.

            Plus, Eckankar's Higher Initiates
            (5-7) are a very passive group
            and don't want to question the
            foundation of their religion because
            things are going okay so why rock
            the boat? Being an H.I. is an ego
            trip and a security blanket too.

            And, let's face it, most Eckists don't
            have the time or inclination to research
            the old, P.T., Eckankar texts. They've
            read it all before so why go back and
            read it with new eyes and a changed
            consciousness? However, it does make
            one wonder why they've allowed them-
            selves to be shackled to HK's dogma
            when it's all based upon Twitchell's
            "compilation."

            In PT's Eckankar Dictionary, Shariyat
            One and HK's First Lexicon, they
            tell about the first "root race" called
            the "POLARIANS." Klemp must agree
            with Twitchell on this dogmatic information
            since he put it into his own Eckankar
            Lexicon.

            But, do Eckists really believe in the
            Old Testament Christian Myth about
            the Garden of Eden? Actually, no,
            they don't! I've even read where
            they've made fun of this. How ironic!
            Twitchell not only states that the
            Garden of Eden existed but gives
            his own (revised) names of those
            present. In the ECK version Adam
            becomes "Adom" and Eve becomes
            "Ede" (like in Eden) This is, of course,
            a clear picture of how Twitchell created
            Eckankar. He took certain words,
            names, and information changed
            the text and letters around, or added
            and omitted letters, and made the
            info his own.

            What's really funny is that in defense
            of Twitchell Klemp has claimed that
            Paul "compiled" only the highest teachings
            from around the world in order to
            create the highest "spiritual" teaching
            anywhere and at anytime. Why then,
            did Twitchell use the Garden of Eden
            myth, and create Adom and Ede?
            Is this supposed to be the actual
            account while the Christian version
            is less accurate. This is how Eckists
            rationalize and explain everything
            (the truth) away. ECK is a facsimile
            and everything else is a copy. But
            this shows that all religions are
            distorted and inaccurate copies.

            It really should be embarrassing,
            for Eckists, since this information
            is listed in their first Holy Book
            under Polarian race (check the
            index for the page number).

            Plus, let's face it. This Garden
            of Eden myth is a non-evolutionary
            belief. It was devised during
            a time of ignorance and pre-science
            in order to give a religious explanation
            for creation. And, it's been revised
            even by early Christianity because
            Lillith was supposed to have been
            Adam's first mate who was created