Re: "The Dark Side of ECKankar" - And More!

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 16, 2011
      Hello Etznab and All,
      It is interesting that Twitchell
      has his Rebazar character (the
      "Master" who initiated him)
      indicate that there were 8 Planes
      just as Radhasomi and Ruhani
      Satsang have listed in "The Path
      of the Masters." Since Kirpal
      Singh, of Ruhani Satsang, was
      Paul's real life Master for ten years
      it's no wonder that this dogma was
      influential in the design of Eckankar.

      Of course, Twitchell was constantly
      tweaking, revising, and masking his
      religious con as time went by.

      The Anami Lok (10th Plane where
      "Sugmad" resides) didn't appear until
      later. Did Rebazar simply forget to
      mention this as well as the "Mahanta?"
      Did RT think that Paul needed to be
      spoon-fed and wasn't ready for this
      advanced "spiritual" info? No, not really.
      According to Twitchell he had been
      given the 12th and "final initiation"
      (to become LEM) back in 1951 by
      Rebazar while on his "2nd" visit to
      India. See, the timeline is off for this
      ekplanation to be taken seriously as
      well.

      Therefore, there is no rational excuse
      for these inconsistencies except to
      admit that the "rascal" Twitchell was,
      once again, "exaggerating" and "twisting
      facts" as even Klemp has described
      and said of him. Klemp, years ago,
      had to admit that Twitchell was a self-
      promoter and did or said whatever
      he needed to do ("By Any Means Necessary")
      in order to get Eckankar off the ground.

      This is why Klemp, at first, had a
      difficult job of explaining Twitchell's
      inconsistencies and needed to keep
      Eckists confused, busy, and off-balance.
      Now, Eckists are so brainwashed that
      Klemp can say whatever in his simple
      minded redundant versions of feel-good
      New Age spirituality.

      Prometheus

      etznab wrote:

      One of Paul Twitchell's first reported journey's with Rebazar Tarzs
      mentioned eight planes, much like the Radhasoami scheme. Check the
      index section for Ocean of Love and Mercy in Dialogues with the Master.

      The Ocean of Love and Mercy was associated with the nameless region,
      [p. 170] and Nameless World [p.188]. In the chapter called THE FACE OF
      GOD, 6th paragraph, Paul Twitchell has Rebazar Tarzs saying: [Quoting]
      "You are in the nameless world. The light you see is the light of
      God so vastly brilliant in all its glory that human eyes could not look
      upon it. You are now the perfect atom, for this is the Ocean of Love
      and Mercy, the true home of the SUGMAD where all Souls return in time."
      (Dialogues with the Master,by Paul Twitchell, p. 191)

      Moreover, at bottom of p. 193 [SUGMAD speaking?] "Ye are in the House
      of the SUGMAD. The abode of abodes. The highest of heavens. Ye cannot
      go higher, and here ye, Soul, having become at-one-ment with my divine
      self, return to Its true self, ever ready with Its work in the divine
      cause!"

      Chapter sixteen (The Cosmic Worlds) of Dialogues with the Master, has
      Rebazar Tarzs saying about the various planes [quoting snippet]:

      "First, It becomes united with the very essence of Sat Nam in a
      mystic sense, and so becomes one with IT, partaking of all ITS
      attributes. It then advances to the three remaining regions.
      "Next is Alakh Lok, presided over by the Alakh Purusha, and after
      this is Agam Lok, presided over by Agam Purusha. Finally Soul reaches
      the end of Its journey, the region of the nameless ONE, or the SUGMAD,
      the supreme LORD of all that exists."

      http://www.mirrorh.com/dwtm.html

      Later on, in The Far Country, Rebazar Tarzs changes the description
      slightly:

      "First, the Tuza becomes united with the very essence of the Sat Nam in
      a mystical sense, and so, becomes a part of Him, partaking in all Sat
      Nam's marvelous attributes. Then the Tuza advances to the three
      remaining known planes.

      "First is the Alakh Lok, presided over by the Alakh Purusha, and
      after this is the Agam Lok plane presided over by the Agam Purusha, or
      lord. Finally Soul reaches the end of Its journey, the region of the
      nameless One, Advaita, the formless, that which is the first you know
      about the SUGMAD, the feeling or the understanding of the Divine.

      "Eventually you come to the SUGMAD in the vast worlds above."

      http://www.mirrorh.com/tfctfc.html

      Here again (Introduction to Eckankar), the subject is illustrated (by
      Paul Twitchell) slightly different.

      "Beyond this plane is the Alakh Lok plane, and then the Agam Lok.
      Finally after a succession of many planes, Soul reaches the end of its
      journey, the region of the nameless One, or the SUGMAD, the supreme
      lord of all that exists."

      http://www.mirrorh.com/itecpwPage2.html

      The earliest scheme of planes appears to indicate Sat Lok, Alak Lok,
      Agam Lok & Anami Lok - the latter apparently associated with Ocean of
      Love & Mercy. Strangely though, someone saw fit to slip mention of
      Hukikat Lok into p. 111 of Dialogues with the Master.

      In any case, notice how Dialogues with the Master, Introduction to
      Eckankar and The Far Country tend to describe the planes similarly, and
      in similar order. Notice also, how similar are certain sections from
      The Far Country with The Path of the Masters. Example:

      "In the literature of the sacred, this divine formless spirit is
      expressed by many names, such as, ECKANKAR, Nirankar, Akal, Nirala,
      Anami, Agam, Alakh, Sat Purush, Prabhu, Prabhswami, Akashar,
      Paramakshar, Purusha." - The Far Country

      http://www.mirrorh.com/tfctfc.html

      "In the literature of the saints, God is expressed by many words, such
      as Soami, Ekankar, Nirankar, Radha Soami, Akal, Nirala, Anami, Agam,
      Alakh, Sat Purush, Prabhu, Prabhswami, Hari Rai, Akshar, Parameshwar,
      Akshar Purush, etc." - The Path of the Masters

      http://www.mirrorh.com/potmnots.html

      Notice how the words Soami, Radha Soami & Hari Rai are absent from the
      Eckankar version. And where the Eckankar version has ECKANKAR vs.
      Ekankar. The remarkable thing about this is how Julian Johnson's book,
      The Path of the Masters, preceded Paul Twitchell's book, The Far
      Country, by at least three decades!

      Apparently then, Eckankar changed the spelling of a word, trademarked
      it, and later published it in a book. I believe this is somehow more
      than a paraphrase.
    • etznab18
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 16, 2011
        Almost didn't see this response because the e-mail bounced.

        Umm ... about the self-promotion, whatever, people can read about some of the history here.

        http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/man.html

        Check out 4th paragraph of article entitled: Paul's Seal of Approval.

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 17, 2011
          Hello Etznab and All,
          This tells how Paul Twitchell
          was His Own Drum Beater:

          http://www.eckankar.org/Masters/Peddar/hisStory.html

          What's interesting is that at age 27 (1935)
          Twitchell was saying that he had been
          to India (supposedly at age 15 to meet
          Rebazar for the first time, DOBTLEM).
          However, Klemp points out that Twitchell
          was doing another self-promotion, and
          was lying in order to get into Who's Who
          in Kentucky. Klemp states that Twitchell
          had never been all that far from home
          at age 27. Klemp seems to have stepped
          into a big pile of Twits mess. HK's
          statement contradicts what Twitchell
          revealed in Difficulties of Becoming the
          Living ECK Master circa July, 1971. This
          1971 date is, supposedly, long after Twitchell
          (the Mahanta) was was no longer "exaggerating"
          and "twisting facts." However, as Klemp
          has pointed out Twitchell was still lying
          and promoting his con up until his untimely
          and death in September, 1971.

          Prometheus

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 17, 2011
            I think a lot of people can overlook this stuff, thinking that whatever
            Paul Twitchell said/wrote must be the truth. Some people just might not
            care. Well, it's reasonable to suspect this talent - for promotion,
            even when it means making things up, stretching the truth, or just
            plain spinning lies - was used to "create" the Eckankar mythos.

            myth

            1830, from Gk. mythos "speech, thought, story, myth," of unknown origin.

            Myths are "stories about divine beings, generally arranged in a
            coherent system; they are revered as true and sacred; they are endorsed
            by rulers and priests; and closely linked to religion. Once this link
            is broken, and the actors in the story are not regarded as gods but as
            human heroes, giants or fairies, it is no longer a myth but a folktale.
            Where the central actor is divine but the story is trivial ... the
            result is religious legend, not myth." [J. Simpson & S. Roud,
            "Dictionary of English Folklore," Oxford, 2000, p.254]

            General sense of "untrue story, rumor" is from 1840.

            http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=mythos&searchmode=none

            In other words, amid all the compilations and recycled material, etc.,
            context has been changed (in various places) when it comes to source. I
            wonder, could Paul Twitchell have created "Eckankar" and at the same
            time given the source for all of his material? I noticed Kirpal Singh
            and others were very good at citing references and sharing what
            quote/saying came from who. So if Paul Twitchell ever chose to use
            passages and paragraphs from books, Did he always feel obligated to
            provide that information?

            As a promoter, I suspect the person wants to give credit to whatever
            they're promoting and not give more credit to "other products" instead.
            It makes sense (to me) that Paul Twitchell would "paint the name
            Eckankar" over so much material he had read (in so many words). Not
            only this, but it even appears probable that Paul Twitchell took
            liberty to respell and redefine words according to fit them in a new,
            and growing, Eckankar philosophy. Not only words, but names too!

            How extensive the promotion and PR campaign that created contemporary
            Eckankar teaching? In so many ways, it seems this is the part that
            doesn't agree with people. Not unless they knew from the beginning that
            information was not necessarily accurate and in some places embellished.

            embellish

            mid-14c., "to render beautiful," from O.Fr. embelliss-, stem of
            embellir "make beautiful, ornament," from em- (see en- (1)) + bel
            "beautiful," from L. bellus (see bene-). Meaning "dress up (a
            narration) with fictitious matter" is from mid-15c. Related:
            Embellished; embellishing.

            http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=embellished&searchmode=none

            Reading through early Eckankar books I think common sense might tell a
            person that parts of the material was embellished. At the same time I
            also think people could naturally so much want the material to be true
            that they allow imagination to "make it so" and overrule common sense.

            Ever observe what happens when you're part of a group where countless
            individuals believe in things - through imagination - that aren't
            necessarily true? I mean, when you're one of the unbelievers and part
            of the minority who question whether so many imagined things are true?

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 17, 2011
              Hello Etznab and All,
              It's true that most Eckists have
              turned a blind eye towards their
              religion. However, it's done via
              Klemp's subtle and not so subtle
              intimidation tactics such as:

              Going to the "inner" to have
              one's questions answered...
              this is what the more "advanced"
              and "enlightened" Eckists do.

              Using the Buddha quote of, "Is
              it true, is it necessary, is it kind"
              this I ask myself before I speak
              my mind.

              HK writing articles and giving
              talks on the negativity of gossip
              and how it hinders one's "spiritual"
              growth.

              Also, there's the unspoken knowledge
              that those who ask too many questions,
              especially "wrong" questions, will get
              Eckists Black Listed on initiations or
              to have them slowed down 3-5 years
              (on average) longer than normal.

              Plus, Eckankar's Higher Initiates
              (5-7) are a very passive group
              and don't want to question the
              foundation of their religion because
              things are going okay so why rock
              the boat? Being an H.I. is an ego
              trip and a security blanket too.

              And, let's face it, most Eckists don't
              have the time or inclination to research
              the old, P.T., Eckankar texts. They've
              read it all before so why go back and
              read it with new eyes and a changed
              consciousness? However, it does make
              one wonder why they've allowed them-
              selves to be shackled to HK's dogma
              when it's all based upon Twitchell's
              "compilation."

              In PT's Eckankar Dictionary, Shariyat
              One and HK's First Lexicon, they
              tell about the first "root race" called
              the "POLARIANS." Klemp must agree
              with Twitchell on this dogmatic information
              since he put it into his own Eckankar
              Lexicon.

              But, do Eckists really believe in the
              Old Testament Christian Myth about
              the Garden of Eden? Actually, no,
              they don't! I've even read where
              they've made fun of this. How ironic!
              Twitchell not only states that the
              Garden of Eden existed but gives
              his own (revised) names of those
              present. In the ECK version Adam
              becomes "Adom" and Eve becomes
              "Ede" (like in Eden) This is, of course,
              a clear picture of how Twitchell created
              Eckankar. He took certain words,
              names, and information changed
              the text and letters around, or added
              and omitted letters, and made the
              info his own.

              What's really funny is that in defense
              of Twitchell Klemp has claimed that
              Paul "compiled" only the highest teachings
              from around the world in order to
              create the highest "spiritual" teaching
              anywhere and at anytime. Why then,
              did Twitchell use the Garden of Eden
              myth, and create Adom and Ede?
              Is this supposed to be the actual
              account while the Christian version
              is less accurate. This is how Eckists
              rationalize and explain everything
              (the truth) away. ECK is a facsimile
              and everything else is a copy. But
              this shows that all religions are
              distorted and inaccurate copies.

              It really should be embarrassing,
              for Eckists, since this information
              is listed in their first Holy Book
              under Polarian race (check the
              index for the page number).

              Plus, let's face it. This Garden
              of Eden myth is a non-evolutionary
              belief. It was devised during
              a time of ignorance and pre-science
              in order to give a religious explanation
              for creation. And, it's been revised
              even by early Christianity because
              Lillith was supposed to have been
              Adam's first mate who was created