Re: Why ECKists Hold Onto False Facts:

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2011

      From Ghosts, Gods, and Aliens

      of our lives, from our suspicions
      and superstitions to our politics,
      economics, and social beliefs.
      In this book Dr. Shermer is
      interested in more than just why
      people believe weird things, or
      why people believe this or that
      claim, but in why people believe
      anything at all. His thesis is straightforward:

      We form our beliefs for a variety
      of subjective, personal, emotional,
      and psychological reasons in the
      context of environments created
      by family, friends, colleagues, culture,
      and society at large; after forming
      our beliefs we then defend, justify,
      and rationalize them with a host
      of intellectual reasons, cogent arguments,
      and rational explanations. Beliefs
      come first, explanations for beliefs
      follow.

      Dr. Shermer also provides the
      neuroscience behind our beliefs.
      The brain is a belief engine. From
      sensory data flowing in through
      the senses the brain naturally begins
      to look for and find patterns, and
      then infuses those patterns with
      meaning. The first process Dr.
      Shermer calls patternicity: the
      tendency to find meaningful patterns
      in both meaningful and meaningless
      data. The second process he calls
      agenticity: the tendency to infuse
      patterns with meaning, intention,
      and agency.

      We can't help believing. Our
      brains evolved to connect the
      dots of our world into meaningful
      patterns that explain why things
      happen. These meaningful patterns
      become beliefs. Once beliefs are
      formed the brain begins to look
      for and find confirmatory evidence
      in support of those beliefs, which
      adds an emotional boost of further
      confidence in the beliefs and thereby
      accelerates the process of reinforcing
      them, and round and round the process
      goes in a positive feedback loop
      of belief confirmation. Dr. Shermer
      outlines the numerous cognitive tools
      our brains engage to reinforce our
      beliefs as truths and to insure that
      we are always right.

      Interlaced with his theory of belief,
      Dr. Shermer provides countless real-
      world examples of belief from all
      realms of life, and in the end he
      demonstrates why science is the
      best tool ever devised to determine
      whether or not a belief matches reality."

      <prometheus_973@...> wrote:

      > Look at the false facts about
      > the Birth of the Mahanta. Was
      > Twitchell lying or is Klemp?
      >
      > *****
      "Lingering Lies: The Persistent Influence of Misinformation

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 18, 2011
        I just read about that myself in one of the science magazines. So it
        seems that forgetting false information, once instilled, is not always
        easy. That was my impression.