Why ECKists Hold Onto False Facts:

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 18, 2011
      Look at the false facts about
      the Birth of the Mahanta. Was
      Twitchell lying or is Klemp?

      *****
      "Lingering Lies: The Persistent Influence of Misinformation

      The brain holds on to false facts,
      even after they have been retracted
      By Valerie Ross | July 18, 2011 |

      After people realize the facts have
      been fudged, they do their best to
      set the record straight: judges tell
      juries to forget misleading testimony;
      newspapers publish errata. But even
      explicit warnings to ignore misinformation
      cannot erase the damage done,
      according to a new study from the
      University of Western Australia.

      Psychologists asked college students
      to read an account of an accident
      involving a busload of elderly passengers.
      The students were then told that,
      actually, those on the bus were
      not elderly. For some students, the
      information ended there. Others
      were told the bus had in fact been
      transporting a college hockey team.
      And still others were warned about
      what psychologists call the continued
      influence of misinformation—that
      people tend to have a hard time
      ignoring what they first heard, even
      if they know it is wrong—and that
      they should be extra vigilant about
      getting the story straight.

      Students who had been warned
      about misinformation or given
      the alternative story were less
      likely than control subjects to
      make inferences using the old
      information later—but they still
      erred sometimes, agreeing with
      statements such as "the passengers
      found it difficult to exit the bus
      because they were frail."

      This result shows that "even if
      you understand, remember and
      believe the retractions, this
      misinformation will still affect
      your inferences," says Western
      Australia psychologist Ullrich Ecker,
      an author of the study. Our memory
      is constantly connecting new facts
      to old and tying different aspects
      of a situation together, so that
      we may still unconsciously draw
      on facts we know to be wrong
      to make decisions later. "Memory
      has evolved to be both stable
      and flexible," Ecker says, "but
      that also has a downside."

      Prometheus: Therefore, this
      shows how difficult it is to
      reason with Eckists because
      they have become so ingrained
      and confused with misinformation
      over the decades. Belief is, now,
      all they have and their imaginations
      reenforce this in a never ending
      cycle of illusion.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 18, 2011
        Here's more from the book
        "The Believing Brain" on why
        Eckists believe in the Mahanta
        and pretend as they do.

        "The Believing Brain:

        From Ghosts, Gods, and Aliens
        to Conspiracies, Economics,
        and Politics—How the Brain
        Constructs Beliefs and Reinforces
        Them as Truths

        In this, his magnum opus, one
        of the world's best known skeptics
        and critical thinkers Dr. Michael
        Shermer—founding publisher
        of Skeptic magazine and perennial
        monthly columnist ("Skeptic")
        for Scientific American—presents
        his comprehensive theory on
        how beliefs are born, formed,
        nourished, reinforced, challenged,
        changed, and extinguished. This
        book synthesizes Dr. Shermer's
        30 years of research to answer
        the questions of how and why
        we believe what we do in all aspects
        of our lives, from our suspicions
        and superstitions to our politics,
        economics, and social beliefs.
        In this book Dr. Shermer is
        interested in more than just why
        people believe weird things, or
        why people believe this or that
        claim, but in why people believe
        anything at all. His thesis is straightforward:

        We form our beliefs for a variety
        of subjective, personal, emotional,
        and psychological reasons in the
        context of environments created
        by family, friends, colleagues, culture,
        and society at large; after forming
        our beliefs we then defend, justify,
        and rationalize them with a host
        of intellectual reasons, cogent arguments,
        and rational explanations. Beliefs
        come first, explanations for beliefs
        follow.

        Dr. Shermer also provides the
        neuroscience behind our beliefs.
        The brain is a belief engine. From
        sensory data flowing in through
        the senses the brain naturally begins
        to look for and find patterns, and
        then infuses those patterns with
        meaning. The first process Dr.
        Shermer calls patternicity: the
        tendency to find meaningful patterns
        in both meaningful and meaningless
        data. The second process he calls
        agenticity: the tendency to infuse
        patterns with meaning, intention,
        and agency.

        We can't help believing. Our
        brains evolved to connect the
        dots of our world into meaningful
        patterns that explain why things
        happen. These meaningful patterns
        become beliefs. Once beliefs are
        formed the brain begins to look
        for and find confirmatory evidence
        in support of those beliefs, which
        adds an emotional boost of further
        confidence in the beliefs and thereby
        accelerates the process of reinforcing
        them, and round and round the process
        goes in a positive feedback loop
        of belief confirmation. Dr. Shermer
        outlines the numerous cognitive tools
        our brains engage to reinforce our
        beliefs as truths and to insure that
        we are always right.

        Interlaced with his theory of belief,
        Dr. Shermer provides countless real-
        world examples of belief from all
        realms of life, and in the end he
        demonstrates why science is the
        best tool ever devised to determine
        whether or not a belief matches reality."

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 18, 2011
          I just read about that myself in one of the science magazines. So it
          seems that forgetting false information, once instilled, is not always
          easy. That was my impression.