Re: Why Author James Davis Left Eckankar:

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2011

      friend. The imperfect outer version
      is the LEM who sells his wares and
      snake oil neatly wrapped in books
      with "stories." This brings in the
      money to keep the whole lower
      plane missionary thing going. It's
      the mission of Klemp to keep the
      suckers on the hook and to bring
      in new ones. It's said to be "spiritual"
      because they need to help others
      to discover and "know" the truth.
      It's kind of vane, but all fanatics
      are vane. It's typical of religionists
      and how they rationalize their lives
      away year after year.

      Let's face it, most Eckists are nice
      enough people but they are not
      spiritually advanced people. True,
      they know a lot of EK jargon and
      New Age speak and use alternative
      medicine, but they are stuck in the
      past, and they need a leader to tell
      them the silly things that they already
      know. Even after 30 plus years and
      7 initiations H.I.s aren't Spiritually
      Free or advanced enough to be their
      own Master.

      Actually, the long-time Eckists
      are spiritually suspended or are in
      a spiritual hibernation. They still
      sound like they did in the beginning
      and mouth the same words they did
      decades ago. They go through the
      same motions but keep expecting
      different results that never actually
      appear. Tricks of the mind and self-
      fulfilling prophesy (the pretend or
      "as if" effect) keeps them giddy and
      happily delusional and glassy-eyed.

      Anyway, I doubt that the Eckankar cult
      would ever have a documentary made
      of them. There are more people that
      have rare forms of cancer, that aren't
      being studied or treated, than there are
      members of Eckankar.

      Prometheus

      etznab wrote:

      Thanks for the repost. I was familiar with the story, but it's shocking how
      ironic. One could say that James Davis literally "wrote the book" about the
      Mahanta. I remember when his book came out and how highly praised it was. It was
      similar to one of his other books. The Dream Weaver Chronicles, Copyright 1993.
      People raved about both of those books. They were so much a part of, or at least
      supportive of, Eckankar dogma (IMO). Or so it seemed. How ironic that James
      Davis, of all people, would write something as what you just posted!

      Ford Johnson received high praise at one time too. He was not only a higher
      initiate, but a dynamic speaker as well. I remember his open letters to Harold
      Klemp, especially one part from the open letter 1 (July 2003) that read in part:

      "[...] But, if there is anything in Confessions that you, the Board, or the
      management of Eckankar regard as untrue, misstated or inaccurate, which bears on
      the ultimate veracity of Eckankar, I urge you to bring it forward. [....]"

      http://www.thetruth-seeker.com/FirstOpenLetter.aspx

      Has Eckankar responded? does anybody know?

      Much of what Ford Johnson presented resulted from the pioneering research of
      Prof. David Lane. So there was Ford - a long time member and higher initiate of
      Eckankar - basically saying: "What say you?" This was a former member and
      Eckankar clergy!

      So when James Davis writes a book about The Mahanta, then leaves Eckankar and
      later writes that note, I have to say to myself ... umm, well, if ever anybody
      did a television documentary about history of Eckankar it would be out of this
      world!

      I'd often thought about how I would relate the story of Eckankar myself, if
      asked by a person that never heard about it before. In fact, I'd so many times
      reflected on it and how it would sound. Well, it sounded absolutely crazy! There
      were like three or more birth dates for the founder. He died without naming a
      successor. His widow appoints, then marries, then gets divorced from the
      founder's successor ... a successor who was basically excommunicated by the
      person he appointed. Etc., etc. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

      I hope that some day in my lifetime there is a television documentary done by
      unbiased researchers presenting the facts. I would so much like to see something
      like that. And I would so much like to see Eckankar's rebuttal. It would be a
      most historic moment, IMO.