Re: Why Author James Davis Left Eckankar:

  • etznab18
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2011
      Thanks for the repost. I was familiar with the story, but it's shocking how ironic. One could say that James Davis literally "wrote the book" about the Mahanta. I remember when his book came out and how highly praised it was. It was similar to one of his other books. The Dream Weaver Chronicles, Copyright 1993. People raved about both of those books. They were so much a part of, or at least supportive of, Eckankar dogma (IMO). Or so it seemed. How ironic that James Davis, of all people, would write something as what you just posted!

      Ford Johnson received high praise at one time too. He was not only a higher initiate, but a dynamic speaker as well. I remember his open letters to Harold Klemp, especially one part from the open letter 1 (July 2003) that read in part:

      "[...] But, if there is anything in Confessions that you, the Board, or the management of Eckankar regard as untrue, misstated or inaccurate, which bears on the ultimate veracity of Eckankar, I urge you to bring it forward. [....]"

      http://www.thetruth-seeker.com/FirstOpenLetter.aspx

      Has Eckankar responded? does anybody know?

      Much of what Ford Johnson presented resulted from the pioneering research of Prof. David Lane. So there was Ford - a long time member and higher initiate of Eckankar - basically saying: "What say you?" This was a former member and Eckankar clergy!

      So when James Davis writes a book about The Mahanta, then leaves Eckankar and later writes that note, I have to say to myself ... umm, well, if ever anybody did a television documentary about history of Eckankar it would be out of this world!

      I'd often thought about how I would relate the story of Eckankar myself, if asked by a person that never heard about it before. In fact, I'd so many times reflected on it and how it would sound. Well, it sounded absolutely crazy! There were like three or more birth dates for the founder. He died without naming a successor. His widow appoints, then marries, then gets divorced from the founder's successor ... a successor who was basically excommunicated by the person he appointed. Etc., etc. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

      I hope that some day in my lifetime there is a television documentary done by unbiased researchers presenting the facts. I would so much like to see something like that. And I would so much like to see Eckankar's rebuttal. It would be a most historic moment, IMO.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2011
        Hello Etznab and All,
        It seems that since James Davis
        confessed that he was, basically,
        delusional and foolish to have
        believed in the Mahanta, and
        that thousands of Eckists believed
        with him, one would hope that
        Eckists would think twice about
        their imagined and mystical
        Mahanta... little old harry klemp.

        But, it's hard to let go of old habits,
        and to see the brain-washing.
        And, what would they replace EK
        with? It would leave a void in many
        of their lives. There has to be some
        thought of Soul but with Eckankar
        that was never enough. Soul always
        came up short and, thus, comes the
        Mahanta to save the day and to
        intercede. He's like a magic imaginary
        friend. The imperfect outer version
        is the LEM who sells his wares and
        snake oil neatly wrapped in books
        with "stories." This brings in the
        money to keep the whole lower
        plane missionary thing going. It's
        the mission of Klemp to keep the
        suckers on the hook and to bring
        in new ones. It's said to be "spiritual"
        because they need to help others
        to discover and "know" the truth.
        It's kind of vane, but all fanatics
        are vane. It's typical of religionists
        and how they rationalize their lives
        away year after year.

        Let's face it, most Eckists are nice
        enough people but they are not
        spiritually advanced people. True,
        they know a lot of EK jargon and
        New Age speak and use alternative
        medicine, but they are stuck in the
        past, and they need a leader to tell
        them the silly things that they already
        know. Even after 30 plus years and
        7 initiations H.I.s aren't Spiritually
        Free or advanced enough to be their
        own Master.

        Actually, the long-time Eckists
        are spiritually suspended or are in
        a spiritual hibernation. They still
        sound like they did in the beginning
        and mouth the same words they did
        decades ago. They go through the
        same motions but keep expecting
        different results that never actually
        appear. Tricks of the mind and self-
        fulfilling prophesy (the pretend or
        "as if" effect) keeps them giddy and
        happily delusional and glassy-eyed.

        Anyway, I doubt that the Eckankar cult
        would ever have a documentary made
        of them. There are more people that
        have rare forms of cancer, that aren't
        being studied or treated, than there are
        members of Eckankar.

        Prometheus