Why Author James Davis Left Eckankar:

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
      A Repost of James Davis from Truth Seeker that explains why
      he left Eckankar:

      Rosetta Stone of God author J. Davis Responds to Confessions

      From: James Davis

      Being the author of a book on the Mahanta titled THE ROSETTA
      STONE OF GOD, I would like to add my voice to those who have
      chosen to leave Eckankar. I quietly left Eckankar several years ago,
      having come to many of the same conclusions Ford arrived at in
      his own book. At the time I left, I wrote a letter to Harold saying
      I would make no announcements about my leaving. But I have since
      learned that it is a very "open secret" that I left - not through any
      acts of my own, but from various Eckists in who work at the main
      office, and a few others. So I now feel it is appropriate to say a few
      words about my leaving, and about Ford's book.

      During my almost three decades in Eckankar I became increasingly
      troubled by what I perceived as the weak integrity within the
      teachings and of the leaders. At the same time I struggled against
      these impressions because I deeply WANTED Eckankar to be the
      ideal teaching I had hoped and dreamed of. I deeply WANTED to
      Living Eck Masters to be more than I was witnessing.

      I came to the point in the late Nineties where I decided to give
      the teachings the fullest and deepest study I could (both on the
      Inner and the Outer) in order to settle my doubts once and for all.
      I chose to focus on the Mahanta as the theme of my study and
      contemplation since this doctrine is the heart and soul of Eckankar.

      I spent over a year researching every word ever written or spoken
      on the Mahanta that were available to me. I poured through decades
      of my personal journals looking for clues from my own experience
      to supplement the outer teachings. I inwardly invited the Nine Silent
      Ones and the Eck Masters to help with my project. Then I set about
      writing the best book I could on all I had found.

      The finished manuscript was sent in and quickly got approved
      for publication by Harold Klemp. For a few months I was euphoric
      and felt I had finally laid to rest my misgivings about the teachings.
      But the effect soon wore off for, after all, the issues that gave
      rise to the writing were still there - as Ford's book aptly
      demonstrates. The issues can't be made to go away by an act of
      fervent devotion. Or should I say, they can be made to go away for
      awhile, or by denial. But for many people, such avoidance tactics
      wear thin after a time.

      I realized the whole writing project of THE ROSETTA STONE OF GOD
      had been an utter failure in its prime objective of settling my issues.
      Whatever value it held for others, it failed for me.

      Yet, with the publication of the book came the usual attention
      that goes with being an Eckankar author. And in this I discovered
      how eager many people are to elevate the spiritual status of those
      who are reporting intimate spiritual experiences with masters.
      A number of Eckists, including Higher Initiates, either intimated
      that I was a candidate for Eck Mastership, or openly made comments
      or wrote letters to me to this effect. Some even had "got it on the
      inner" that this was the case. Those who know me well and were
      privy to some of this, found this elevation amusing enough. But
      it became abundantly clear to me how easy a person like Paul,
      who could not only write well, but who had a certain charisma
      and claimed an abundance of experiences with inner masters,
      would sweep followers off their feet.

      I have little if any charisma, but I can write a fairly decent book.
      This apparently was sufficient for many. The experience of being
      on the receiving end of admiring Eckists was a sobering first hand
      look from the other end of the scope of my own tendency to elevate
      the leaders of Eckankar.

      I won't go into the details of the issues I have with the Eckankar
      teachings, for most of these issues are addressed in Ford's book.
      My conclusions are not the same as Ford's in all cases. For example,
      whether people such as Rebazar Tarzs are real or not real hardly
      played a part in my decision to leave, whereas Ford categorically
      asserts the Vairagi masters are pure fiction. I had decided that,
      if men like Paul and Darwin and Harold were truly the best and
      brightest candidates that a band of high inner masters would choose
      to be the head of their order and be the chosen supreme channel
      for God on Earth, than I was not interested in following such an order.

      On the other hand, I felt, if there is an order of very high masters
      similar to the Vairagi that Paul protrayed, I seriously doubted they
      would hitch their wagon to a movement like Eckankar. So the whole
      debate about whether some of these masters are real or not is not
      a central one for me personally.

      There are a few other conclusions I reached that differ a bit
      from Ford's, and this is as it should be for anyone thinking for
      themselves. But on the whole, my own research and experience
      support Ford's conclusions. If you read Ford's book, you will find
      a multitude of issues worth carefully thinking over - a number
      of which you may never have considered before.

      Incidently, Ford has been accused by some critics as being too
      mental, of not showing an attitude of love. It would be hard for
      anyone to write a book deconstructing Eckankar without seeming
      hard-hearted to an Eckankar devotee. How do you call the beloved
      founder Paul Twitchell a liar and a fraud and still sound like a Golden
      Heart? But there is more to the demonstration of love than sweet
      platitudes, warm feelings, and cute stories. Tough-love is real, and
      in the spiritual tradition it leads (or pushes) Soul onwards towards
      God. I see no love in comforting others with gentle lies, nor in
      telling them they will suffer spiritual decline and misery if they
      leave the Eckankar club. One of the primary reasons I decided to
      leave Eckankar was precisely because the pronouncements of love
      made by the leaders was contradicted all too often by their actions
      and harsh denouncement of those who disagreed with them, or
      those who choose to follow another road, or of other "inferior" paths.

      As with many who leave the Eckankar religion, I have felt a certain
      amount of loss. Not just the loss of an ideal, but the absence of a
      community of friends, and the wonderful sharing that happens at
      many Eckankar events. But I have not regretted for a moment the
      spiritual implications of leaving. To have stayed, for me, would have
      been a rejection of what Eckankar calls The Call of Soul - a call which
      urged me to let go of a religion which had served its purpose in my
      journey, and had become an impediment to my further growth.

      ####

      Truth Seeker added these comments at the end of James Davis' post:

      Thank you for coming forward. There are many who hold on to your
      book as the final validation of the mahanta. That is why Harold was
      so quick to promote it. I hope that your candor and courage will
      encourage others,who are hanging fire and holding on to this last
      fabricated vistage of Eckankar doctrine, to also have the courage to
      read the book and then act on their inner spiritual guidance. Only
      then can the Eckankar spell be broken.

      TS
    • etznab18
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2011
        Thanks for the repost. I was familiar with the story, but it's shocking how ironic. One could say that James Davis literally "wrote the book" about the Mahanta. I remember when his book came out and how highly praised it was. It was similar to one of his other books. The Dream Weaver Chronicles, Copyright 1993. People raved about both of those books. They were so much a part of, or at least supportive of, Eckankar dogma (IMO). Or so it seemed. How ironic that James Davis, of all people, would write something as what you just posted!

        Ford Johnson received high praise at one time too. He was not only a higher initiate, but a dynamic speaker as well. I remember his open letters to Harold Klemp, especially one part from the open letter 1 (July 2003) that read in part:

        "[...] But, if there is anything in Confessions that you, the Board, or the management of Eckankar regard as untrue, misstated or inaccurate, which bears on the ultimate veracity of Eckankar, I urge you to bring it forward. [....]"

        http://www.thetruth-seeker.com/FirstOpenLetter.aspx

        Has Eckankar responded? does anybody know?

        Much of what Ford Johnson presented resulted from the pioneering research of Prof. David Lane. So there was Ford - a long time member and higher initiate of Eckankar - basically saying: "What say you?" This was a former member and Eckankar clergy!

        So when James Davis writes a book about The Mahanta, then leaves Eckankar and later writes that note, I have to say to myself ... umm, well, if ever anybody did a television documentary about history of Eckankar it would be out of this world!

        I'd often thought about how I would relate the story of Eckankar myself, if asked by a person that never heard about it before. In fact, I'd so many times reflected on it and how it would sound. Well, it sounded absolutely crazy! There were like three or more birth dates for the founder. He died without naming a successor. His widow appoints, then marries, then gets divorced from the founder's successor ... a successor who was basically excommunicated by the person he appointed. Etc., etc. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

        I hope that some day in my lifetime there is a television documentary done by unbiased researchers presenting the facts. I would so much like to see something like that. And I would so much like to see Eckankar's rebuttal. It would be a most historic moment, IMO.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2011
          Hello Etznab and All,
          It seems that since James Davis
          confessed that he was, basically,
          delusional and foolish to have
          believed in the Mahanta, and
          that thousands of Eckists believed
          with him, one would hope that
          Eckists would think twice about
          their imagined and mystical
          Mahanta... little old harry klemp.

          But, it's hard to let go of old habits,
          and to see the brain-washing.
          And, what would they replace EK
          with? It would leave a void in many
          of their lives. There has to be some
          thought of Soul but with Eckankar
          that was never enough. Soul always
          came up short and, thus, comes the
          Mahanta to save the day and to
          intercede. He's like a magic imaginary
          friend. The imperfect outer version
          is the LEM who sells his wares and
          snake oil neatly wrapped in books
          with "stories." This brings in the
          money to keep the whole lower
          plane missionary thing going. It's
          the mission of Klemp to keep the
          suckers on the hook and to bring
          in new ones. It's said to be "spiritual"
          because they need to help others
          to discover and "know" the truth.
          It's kind of vane, but all fanatics
          are vane. It's typical of religionists
          and how they rationalize their lives
          away year after year.

          Let's face it, most Eckists are nice
          enough people but they are not
          spiritually advanced people. True,
          they know a lot of EK jargon and
          New Age speak and use alternative
          medicine, but they are stuck in the
          past, and they need a leader to tell
          them the silly things that they already
          know. Even after 30 plus years and
          7 initiations H.I.s aren't Spiritually
          Free or advanced enough to be their
          own Master.

          Actually, the long-time Eckists
          are spiritually suspended or are in
          a spiritual hibernation. They still
          sound like they did in the beginning
          and mouth the same words they did
          decades ago. They go through the
          same motions but keep expecting
          different results that never actually
          appear. Tricks of the mind and self-
          fulfilling prophesy (the pretend or
          "as if" effect) keeps them giddy and
          happily delusional and glassy-eyed.

          Anyway, I doubt that the Eckankar cult
          would ever have a documentary made
          of them. There are more people that
          have rare forms of cancer, that aren't
          being studied or treated, than there are
          members of Eckankar.

          Prometheus