Krishnamurti

  • etznab18
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011
      Was updating some files recently and came across an old link. I read this years ago, but today it has new meaning.

      Quoting:

      It has been my practice to listen to everybody, always. I desired to learn, from the gardener, from the pariah, from the untouch­able, from my neighbour, from my friend, from everything that could teach, in order to become one with the Beloved. When I had listened to all, and gathered the Truth wher­ever I found it, I was able to develop myself fully. Now you are waiting for the Truth to come - out of one person; you are waiting for that Truth to be developed, to be forced upon you by authority, and you are worshipping that person instead of the Truth. When Krishnamurti dies, which is inevitable, you will make a religion, you will set about forming rules in your minds, because the individual, Krishnamurti, has represented to you the Truth; so you will build a temple, you will then begin to have ceremonies, to invent phrases.,dogmas, systems of beliefs, creeds, and to create philos­ophies. If you build great foundations upon me, the individual, you will be caught in that house, in that temple, and so you will have to have another Teacher to come and extricate you from that temple, pull you out of that narrowness in order to liberate you; but the human mind is such that you will build another temple round Him, and so it will go on and on. But those who understand, who do not depend on authority, who hold all peoples in their hearts, will not build temples - they will really understand. [....]

      http://norea.net/krishnamurti/truth.htm

      Krishnamurti (IMO) was chosen (in his youth), groomed and propped up by the Theosophical Society to be some sort of "World Teacher". In the end, he apparently went his own way.

      "[....] His new direction reached a climax in 1929, when he rebuffed attempts by Leadbeater and Besant to continue with the Order of the Star. Krishnamurti dissolved the Order during the annual Star Camp at Ommen, the Netherlands, on 3 August 1929[83] in front of Annie Besant, three thousand members, and a radio audience.[84] In the so-called Dissolution Speech, he stated that he made his decision after 'careful consideration' during the previous two years, ... . [....]"

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiddu_Krishnamurti#Break_with_the_past

      I thought some interesting things were mentioned in the first link about Who Brings the Truth? My impression was that Krishnamurti was breaking away from dogma built up around him by others and was asking people to find the truth for themselves. Interesting that.

      Did Paul Twitchell, Darwin Gross or Harold Klemp do this for members and followers of Eckankar? Perhaps some of it in the wording of Eck teachings but, as the organization grew, so the "Mahanta" mythology also grew. Eventually there would come a time (1980s) where people were asked (told?) to choose between one person or another. Darwin or Harold, it seems. And this kind of thing is not unique to Eckankar.
      Other groups have fought over succession, or who was the rightful and authentic "Teacher". I'm not only talking Shiite and Sunni.

      The symbol of "World Teacher" was something become popular during the 20th century (at least). The latter 1800s and early 1900s saw numbers of people who later contributed to "spiritual movements" in some way. Sant Mat and Radhasoami evolved in parallel with other similar groups who looked to a form of "Teacher". And though the titles appear to be different, the concept appears basically the same. God's "so-called" representative on earth in the form of a single person, guru, master, etc. Is this what the heart of the teachings held? Or something that so many people in a congregation created / made into a seemingly literal truth?

      I'm not sure Krishnamurti was describing himself as a "World Teacher".
      It sounded (to me) like he suggested "The Beloved" was in all people and things. As a speaker, he reminded me about a number of other speakers that people had propped up as "this" or "that". And - much like them - Krishnamurti appeared to say that "the truth was within".

      And so this is what it (Religion, New Age, etc.) appears to come down to, to me. That the "Teacher" is defaulting to the "Student" for the ultimate truth.

      How ironic that people found all these teachings, and all these gurus, so in the end they can be told NOT to follow them, but follow their own experience and inner guidance above all.

      Of course, it might help the followers if the teachers would admit to (and further clarify and correct) those elements of pseudo history / religion propagated by churches and groups. IMHO.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2011
        Hello Etznab,
        I agree, religions were never
        supposed to be. The spiritual
        is individualistic, personal and
        unique to each Soul.

        People tend to see their own
        short comings and failures
        while putting others upon
        pedestals. They need to admire
        and worship a leader due to
        their own guilt and shame
        and laziness. Doesn't it usually
        takes less effort and thought
        to be a follower? Plus, people
        need hope when they experience
        inequities in government and/
        or in life.

        But, people were never
        supposed to follow another.
        They were to learn some
        things from others but see
        the lessons in their own lives.
        They are supposed to see
        and learn from their own
        tests. However, there are
        always those that take advantage
        of the weak minded and of
        opportunities to trick people.

        Most of these preachers, like
        Klemp, try to rationalize, at
        times, and claim they are doing
        good. But they know the truth
        behind the smoke and mirrors.
        Klemp is a conman and not a
        godman. And, at the same time,
        he's making a lot of money and
        will never share how much it
        really is with his flock of sheep.

        Jesus, supposedly, said that the
        kingdom of heaven is within...
        and then they made another
        religion out of his teachings
        when he was merely sharing
        the truth he learned for himself.

        Once religions get their hooks
        into people it's for life. Look at
        Eckankar. Supposedly at the 7th
        initiation one is free to leave, but
        when you read a bit further you
        see that you can't because of the
        fear of what could happen to you
        or shouldn't because of more greatness
        to come. It's that push/pull technique
        that Twit shared in Letters to Gail 3.

        After awhile ECKists start believing
        their own hype and the timid become
        almost as arrogant and self absorbed
        as the narcissists. All become even
        more delusional as time goes by and
        then they pass it on to the next generation.
        What ECKists don't understand, and
        refuse to see, is that belief in Eckankar
        is the actual trap/test and a continuation
        of the Wheel of 84!

        Prometheus

        etznab wrote:

[...]

        [....]

        http://norea.net/krishnamurti/truth.htm

        Krishnamurti (IMO) was chosen (in his youth), groomed and propped up by the
        Theosophical Society to be some sort of "World Teacher". In the end, he
        apparently went his own way.

        "[....] His new direction reached a climax in 1929, when he rebuffed attempts by
        Leadbeater and Besant to continue with the Order of the Star. Krishnamurti
        dissolved the Order during the annual Star Camp at Ommen, the Netherlands, on 3
        August 1929[83] in front of Annie Besant, three thousand members, and a radio
        audience.[84] In the so-called Dissolution Speech, he stated that he made his
        decision after 'careful consideration' during the previous two years, ... .
        [....]"

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011
          Hello Etznab,
          Upon thinking about it
          I'd like to change a remark
          I made. I said, "But, people
          were never supposed to
          follow another." When I
          thought about this I saw
          that it was far from accurate.

          We started out being followers
          of stronger and more clever
          leaders and even in nature
          there are pecking orders. When
          we look at societies and clubs
          and organizations and political
          parties, sports teams, religions,
          etc. we can plainly see that humans
          tend to like, follow, and hold in
          higher esteem those stronger,
          faster, more skilled, smarter,
          knowledgable, or "spiritual"
          than themselves. Most of our
          opinions in these matters, of
          course, are subjective. And,
          they (we) tend to join groups
          of like minded people in order
          to feel good about ourselves.
          After all, 'Misery loves company;
          The more the merrier;' and, 'Might
          makes right!'

          But, unlike religion and other
          group endeavors, true "spirituality"
          is not a team sport or group effort.
          Eckists have been tricked into
          thinking that it is.

          etznab wrote:

[...]

          Etznab
        • dianastanley43
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 30, 2011
            The first people we look to for answers is are parents. Then peers and teachers. Always thinking some one must have the answers to our questions. When we become interested in finding God we either follow are parents religion or begin a search. I don't know how many books I read,paths I followed untill I discovered that if you are in your house you don't need a path to find it. The book Quantum Counciousness by Steven wolinsky started me on the journey back to myself. I can say from experience that fowllowing someone else is a lot easeir plus you have someone to blame if it doesn't work out!!!!
            Diana

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2011
              Hello Diana,
              IMO-It is true that we first look
              to our parents as authority figures
              and then to teachers and to the
              clergy, etc.. We are also taught to
              see others as authority figures
              such as the police or others in
              our social, religious, and political
              hierarchies.

              I'm not so sure about "peers"
              since we need to elevate people
              to a status higher than ourselves.

              In college we had professors upon
              pedestals, too, and then later when
              I got to know some of these PH.Ds
              and MDs on a personal level that
              was corrected. The same takes place
              within religion. Those deemed
              "closer to God" or more "spiritual"
              and knowledgable of the dogma
              are held in high esteem, until, if
              we're lucky we are able to see them
              for what they are. At one time I had
              certain ECKists upon pedestals and
              as I learned more and had more clarity
              of consciousness I saw through that
              mindset and the error in that belief.

              There are always "experts" out there
              and/or those for us to admire, but
              that's the problem. We can use what
              others give us but we have to be careful
              with placing them above us.

              In Eckankar I was given one piece of
              information, or a perspective, that
              prepared me to see more clearly when
              Ford came out with the truth about
              Twitchell and the others including
              Klemp. It was, "Soul equals Soul."

              Once we take everyone down off their
              pedestals that we've placed them upon,
              or they've placed themselves upon, then
              we can start seeing them as being "peer."
              But, this isn't what they want us to see,
              nor what we, ourselves, desire either!

              Sure, many people have special talents
              that either come naturally or with lots
              of effort, but it still doesn't mean that
              they are better than any of us. However,
              one's ego wants and needs them to be
              special and in control, plus, they like the
              attention. For some people, even negative
              attention is better than being ignored.
              This is why some children act up. The
              negative attention is better than none
              at all.

              Klemp likes attention but not the
              responsibilities he's created for himself.
              This is why he never takes responsibility
              on any level even though he is responsible
              for all decisions made at and coming from
              the ESC. Instead, Klemp hits the ball back
              into the court of the Initiates under him.
              It's always their fault and their responsibility
              and not his. HK's above responsibility and
              "is a law unto himself."

              But, if it wasn't for Darwin Gross Klemp
              would either be a 7th or 8th initiate and still
              be working at the ESC. He's nothing special.
              But, now, he always has to let EKists know
              who's in charge. He's always introduced, or
              mentioning that he's the (14th Initiate) Mahanta/
              LEM i.e. the ECK, the Godman. Then he says
              I'm not perfect or I'm just like you and you
              aren't to worship (me) the Mahanta. But,
              when one is encouraged to have complete
              reliance upon the Mahanta/God (Klemp) for
              all things and to stare at his picture or to
              dream about him, then, what does this really
              say? I don't see a "Soul=Soul" or "I'm not
              perfect" image being projected... just the
              opposite!

              Anyway, this is the "trap" AND the "test"
              that people go through. What we should
              be doing is sharing this admiration and
              high esteem with ourselves. Let's assume
              that Soul equals Soul. Therefore, as Soul,
              we can all share in the divine nature that
              other Souls project. But, what about the
              harm that Souls do to other Souls?

              Life is both a series of traps and tests.
              We try to do what's best, or we deem
              best, while limiting the negative effects
              of what both the traps and tests have
              upon us. Sometimes we create or cause
              our own traps and tests and sometimes
              others, or nature, does that for us. It's
              hard to say how much "karma" or divine
              nudges are involved with this experiment
              of life. It's a mystery that we have to seek
              to uncover for ourselves and with a little
              help from our friends.

              Prometheus

              dianastanley wrote:

              The first people we look to for answers
              is are parents. Then peers and teachers.
              Always thinking some one must have
              the answers to our questions. When
              we become interested in finding God
              we either follow are parents religion
              or begin a search.

              I don't know how many books I read,
              paths I followed until I discovered
              that if you are in your house you
              don't need a path to find it. The book
              Quantum Consciousness by Steven
              wolinsky started me on the journey
              back to myself. I can say from experience
              that following someone else is a lot
              easier plus you have someone to blame
              if it doesn't work out!!!!

              Diana

              prometheus wrote:

> [...]
              things.
              > As a speaker, he reminded me about a number of other speakers that people had
              > propped up as "this" or "that". And - much like them - Krishnamurti appeared
              > say that "the truth was within".
              >
              > And so this is what it (Religion, New Age, etc.) appears to come down to, to
              me.
              > That the "Teacher" is defaulting to the "Student" for the ultimate truth.
              >
              > How ironic that people found all these teachings, and all these gurus, so in
              the
              > end they can be told NOT to follow them, but follow their own experience and
              > inner guidance above all.
              >
              > Of course, it might help the followers if the teachers would admit to (and
              > further clarify and correct) those elements of pseudo history / religion
              > propagated by churches and groups. IMHO.

            • dianastanley43
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2011
                Very true. I am of the opinion now that on a quantum level every atom has couniousness and it the same as every other atom. I am inclined to beleive that every soul is the same as every other soul. It is identifying with the body we are in that makes us feel speacial and different from others. When in fact there is no difference.
                Diana

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2011
                  Hello Diana and All,
                  One of the biggest lies, and
                  fraud, is to say that women
                  aren't equal to men. Eckankar
                  contradicts itself and has a
                  typical ekplanation as to why
                  women can't be the LEM while
                  being an EK Master like Kata Daki.
                  Twitchell's negative atom/battery
                  excuse is just more of the same
                  we see in all manmade/male run
                  religions.

                  Supposedly, on the physical
                  plane, the negative atom thing
                  is the only reason why females
                  can't be the LEM. This mysterious
                  "fact" is what keeps women in
                  their place as servants to the
                  male LEM/Mahanta.

                  It seems that every religion has
                  some sort of myth, dogma, law,
                  rule, excuse that has the same
                  effect... to keep women in their
                  place as second class citizens or
                  members.

                  On TV recently there was a show
                  that shared things that were taken
                  out of the Bible. Apparently there
                  was a woman that came before Eve.
                  Her name was Lillith and she was
                  created by God the same as Adam.
                  She was Adam's equal and this caused
                  conflict. They were not to call God
                  by his real name but she did and was
                  taken up into heaven and didn't want
                  to return. Anyway there's more to the
                  story than that but apparently Adam
                  asked for a woman that would be
                  or lie beneath him. This is why Eve
                  was created out of Adam's rib. The
                  story about Lillith was taken out of
                  the Bible because they (the church
                  elders) didn't want women to think
                  they were the equals to men.

                  BTW- Eckankar believes this Garden
                  of Eden Myth too. They say that the
                  "Polarians" were the first race but
                  Paul changed it up some and claims
                  "ADOM" was the first man and "EDE"
                  was the first woman. The inequality
                  remains the same.

                  Prometheus

                  prometheus_973@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > things.
                  > > As a speaker, he reminded me about a number of other speakers that people
                  had
                  > > propped up as "this" or "that". And - much like them - Krishnamurti appeared
                  > > say that "the truth was within".
                  > >
                  > > And so this is what it (Religion, New Age, etc.) appears to come down to, to
                  > me.
                  > > That the "Teacher" is defaulting to the "Student" for the ultimate truth.
                  > >
                  > > How ironic that people found all these teachings, and all these gurus, so in
                  > the
                  > > end they can be told NOT to follow them, but follow their own experience and
                  > > inner guidance above all.
                  > >
                  > > Of course, it might help the followers if the teachers would admit to (and
                  > > further clarify and correct) those elements of pseudo history / religion
                  > > propagated by churches and groups. IMHO.

                • dianastanley43
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2011
                    If women had always had the power that men have had, men would be calling for equal rights. Power is something people have a hard time letting go of. Men or Women.
                    Diana

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 6, 2011
                      Hello Diana,
                      Anytime one group or one person
                      has all the power that always leads
                      to more corruption and less freedom
                      for all. Klemp has corrupted truth
                      and has lessened the freedoms of
                      those followers who disagree with
                      his policies and who question the
                      ECK Dogma. Where's Rebazar? Where's
                      Spiritual Liberation in/for This Lifetime?
                      Where's Eckankar's financial statement
                      to show where ALL the money goes?

                      Prometheus

                      prometheus_973@> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > others, or nature, does that for us. It's
                      > > > hard to say how much "karma" or divine
                      > > > nudges are involved with this experiment
                      > > > of life. It's a mystery that we have to seek
                      > > > to uncover for ourselves and with a little
                      > > > help from our friends.
                      > > >
                      > > > Prometheus
                      > > >
                      > > > dianastanley wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > The first people we look to for answers
                      > > > is are parents. Then peers and teachers.
                      > > > Always thinking some one must have
                      > > > the answers to our questions. When
                      > > > we become interested in finding God
                      > > > we either follow are parents religion
                      > > > or begin a search.
                      > > >
                      > > > I don't know how many books I read,
                      > > > paths I followed until I discovered
                      > > > that if you are in your house you
                      > > > don't need a path to find it. The book
                      > > > Quantum Consciousness by Steven
                      > > > wolinsky started me on the journey
                      > > > back to myself. I can say from experience

                    • dianastanley43
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 7, 2011
                        All religions or paths have the same dynamics. One person who has the anwser to how to find God or at least Please him. They are all based on reward or punishment. If not in this life then the next.
                        What made me so angry and dissapointed was I thought Eckankar was different. A lot older and wiser I now know that no one has the answer to anything. There is no answer because there can be no question. Everything is everything. That which is Is. Iam That.