Oh No! Eckankar made it to the movies!

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2010
      Eckankar and the LEM (Arnold) will
      be mentioned in the movie "Stone."

      Here's a site that has a review...

      http://smellslikescreenspirit.com/2010/10/stone-review-2/

      http://www.badassdigest.com/2010/11/08/one-of-the-best-science-fiction-films-this-year-is-stone

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz42ekTrx7o

      I wonder who the ECKist is that got their "message" out?

      Here's more in the review of the movie:

      "Dialogue and story points. Edward Norton plays Stone, a prisoner who's been in the clink for eight years for helping in the murder of his grandparents. In his initial meeting with Jack he pleads to be put on parole so he can be with his wife, Lucetta (Jovovich), who has been helping prepare his post-prison life. When Jack asks about Stone's wife, Stone replies "She's an alien. An alien man."

      Stone is feeling uneasy, rightfully so, about his chances getting parole and decides to send Lucetta on a mission to seduce Jack. As she begins to ingratiate herself into Jack's world, Lucetta initiates a bit of small talk with him by brining up the idea of magnet therapy and how it helps rid people of toxins: "It's all the microwaves and cell phones – everything going through the air that we can't see." Um, science fiction much?

      Eckankar: Experience the Sound and Light of God. While Stone waits to hear if his blackmailing plan is successful he bides his time looking for a way to ease his mind. First, he tries reading about Christianity, but when that proves uninspiring he discovers a pamphlet on a New Age-esque religion based on a real world religion called Eckankar. The idea behind it is that we can connect with God through sound and light. Suddenly, Stone is enamored by the idea and slowly begins to change into a much more subdued personality.

      The other component to the religion is the idea that everyone starts off as stones and have to work their way up to become human beings. To me, this solidifies the idea of Norton's character as being some sort of traveller, not a vagabond in the basic sense, but in the extraterrestrial sense. He knows and feels that he has another purpose, a bigger purpose and this strange religion has somehow unlocked it.

      It isn't just this one concept that brings him to his ultimate epiphany, however it's his witnessing of a fellow prisoner dying infront of his eyes that finally makes Stone feel like he has succeeded in working his way up to the "next level." Stone looks into the dying man's eyes and as his life expires Stone suddenly flinches back as if something had been transferred between the two. Your typical prison shanking scene it is not.

      It's about Religion. Sure, taking any of the elements above on their own could define the movie as being about one man's discovery of religion and becoming born again. However director John Curran deftly mixes all these elements into something that looks, sounds, and feels like science fiction. Take Scientology, it's nothing other then a science fiction creation wrapped within the notion of God. Or the idea of The Force in Star Wars (with its proper noun capitalization and all) that turns the basis of religion into science fiction with Obi Wan as its Pope and Yoda as its Jesus.

      There's many more levels to this, but I'll let this sit with you for now until I watch it again. Seriously, there's a lot of stuff going on in Stone and I'm just starting to uncover the layers. All I know is that it out incepted Inception which makes it one of the best science fiction films of the year so far.

      May the Eckankar be with you."
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 22, 2010
        There were two things that I found
        interesting with the story line. One,
        is that this guy "Stone" (Ed Norton)
        finds Eckankar in prison and thinks
        it's cool that Eckankar believes that
        we all start out as "stones." Hence,
        the name he gives himself. Of course
        that's not quite right since Eckists
        actually believe that we start out as
        Soul. But there is that mineral state
        of con that is talked about early on.
        I always thought it was a stretch
        of the imagination (B.S.) since what
        would be the purpose of being a rock
        after a few hours let alone centuries?
        Perhaps this story is a way to explain
        away why Gakko came here 6 million
        years ago. He was communicating with
        stones via the mineral state of consciousness!

        Another thing that stands out is Stone's
        girlfriend is talking about how dangerous
        microwaves and cellphones are and using
        magnet therapy to rid people of toxins.
        This sounds like some of Klemp's nutty
        talk about harmful EMR/EMF waves in the
        air!

        Then there's that Sound and Light
        thing that Twitchell "borrowed" from
        Sant Mat.

        Of course Stone doesn't quite understand
        how one makes it to the next "level"
        in Eckankar. It doesn't happen on
        your own and it requires money and
        a membership card. Leveling up is
        the "initiation" process. It seems like
        Stone is showing Eckists that they
        don't need a LEM or a Mahanta to
        become a spiritual "traveler."

        It's also interesting to read that
        Stone develops a much more
        subdued personality. Eckists are
        like that too... zoned out zombies
        who are always smiling (well, at
        seminars anyway). It's taking a
        matter-of-fact karmic attitude
        towards life.

        I will have to say that religion can
        unlock feelings and insights that
        might never have been discovered
        otherwise, but then we can let it
        go. When the dogma begins to limit
        us and what we can say and believe
        then it's time to walk away... you've
        learned all you need from that path.

        ************************************

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 23, 2010
          Do they really mention the word Eckankar
          in the movie?

          I read one of the reviews and saw something
          about Zuckangor instead of Eckankar - and
          something about Arnold instead of Harold.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2010
            Hello Etznab,
            I listed two sites with reviews and
            quoted one where they mentioned