revelations about ego

  • avonblue1212
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2010
      It seems the longer I'm away from eckankar the more clear the deception becomes. While most eckists would strongly disagree with me, I feel the guise of the ego-less path and service to others is a bit of a crock. I wondered what others thought about this.

      For instance, initiations were not talked about in detail by eckists (it's an eck sin) but their presence was always just below the surface. Not true of all but generally the higher the initiation the more self-righteous the individual seemed to become. I'd use the word smug - nothing overt, just a subtle "I'm better than you" attitude. This was exacerbated in discussion and satsang when listening to someone talking about their latest "experience" and how directly or indirectly they we're saying how they understood life but the other was simple bumbling through unaware. Not to say this was a conscious belligerent attitude but more of a subliminal air - very soft undertones.

      "Experiences" especially related to seminar talks are interesting as well. First, eck has developed an elitist list of Super Eckists - invited to speak or perform time after time. This is true on the national as well as regional level. It's a personality thing - eckists "worshipping" these people and trying to be seen in their company as well as trying to emulate them. On all levels there is an underlying attempt to compare and out do another's experience. Exaggeration (I'll be kind) in storytelling is rampant.

      When the "entertainer" Darwin was the LEM, he subtly promoted music as the way to God. This became huge on the regional level - a literal eckky talent show of mediocre musicians - all trying to prove their god worthiness. Then HK the editor brought writing to the forefront - same thing - let's emulate writer's. Most of these "creative artists" could never make it in the real world - they live by the adoration of their small circle of admirers. And talk about egos!

      I always felt an underlying competition in eckankar on so many levels. Freeing myself from this dysfunctional group was the most rewarding "experience" I've had to date!
    • postekcon
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2010
        Hi Avonblue1212,
        I agree with every point you make, and I'd like to add the following:

        Ekult works by telling its followers how the lower worlds work, ie that which is visualized is made manifest. At the same time, it uses this same tool to make ITSELF manifest! In addition, the 'service' aspect in ekult is equally important, it's another tool to harness the energies of its followers to further this manifestation.

        In ekult a 'BAH'hanta humbug figure was created in 1969 and is only kept manifest to this day by HK constantly pleading, think of me always, focus on moi, moi, moi... and have my picture everywhere!

        This technique has been used by religions and despots alike, whether ancient or modern, from the Mayans to Hitler to Ekult. The poeple are told by those, set apart as leaders, what to think, how to think and what to visualize! Thus ANY concept that the people are encouraged to accept and focus upon, is made manifest! Scary stuff!

        I guarantee, if all current ekult followers removed their attention from ekult en masse in the morning, henceforth, it and all its aspects would cease to exist. Ekult, from start to finish is simply psychism!
        -Postekcon

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 19, 2010
          I enjoyed reading the comments and insights.
          It is said that ego must be used when teaching,
          but ego is always being used for multiple purposes
          in life and in ECKankar. We have thoughts and
          opinions and these are used to make decisions.
          Thus, there is no actual detachment of the ego
          because we hold onto our opinions because it
          is part of our history and what makes us unique.
          That's another thing. Many ECKists tend to become,
          act, or turn off their feelings in order to hide their
          ego.

          It is taught that to have feelings is "Astral"
          (bad) because it shows "attachment" to the
          lower plane traps that, supposedly, bind Soul
          to the Wheel of 84 (karma). Except, Higher
          Initiates no longer have Karma... they are free...
          but not from Klemp or that Annual Membership
          Renewal. There are always strings attached to
          anything "given" by Klemp. Btw-What is it that
          Klemp gives? He takes and takes and takes, he
          likes to have it both ways, and he can never have
          his teachings (opinions) questioned and have his
          "authority" questioned. But, Klemp will say that
          he's "not perfect" while defining himself (the
          LEM/Mahanta) as being perfect. That's another
          flawed concept that ECKists don't notice. As the
          LEM (a 12th Initiate and ECK Master) HK should
          be perfect on the "Outer" almost as much as the
          14th Initiate Mahanta is on the "Inner." HK should
          not be hampered by the Physical Plane since,
          apparently, Rebazar isn't! Btw- Where is R.T.?

          Also, Klemp teaches that it's good to use a lower
          Astral Chakra (below the Third Eye) which is
          referred to as the "Heart Center." This is why
          having "love" (feelings), i.e. attachments, to
          "innocent" animals seems to be more acceptable
          over human love. One unspoken EK tradition
          is the jumping from one bed or spouse to another.
          It's seen as okay as long as the jilted one is not
          connected to the EK sisterhood. This search for
          a new Soulmate (twin) is even encouraged, to
          a degree, because this is seen, in ECKankar,
          as taking care of unfinished karma... which is
          good! Anyway, Klemp's lovey dovey "Heart Center"
          propaganda seems to be taking ECKists in the
          opposite direction and down rather than up!
          Plus, I never did like it that Klemp still promoted
          the 6th Astral Chakra, the Tisra Til or Third Eye,
          when HUing. Why not the highest Astral Plane
          Chakra... the "Crown" Chakra? Just this fact alone
          caused me to doubt Klemp's abilities and "higher
          consciousness" or "spirituality."

          Getting back to what Avonblue said about H.I.s
          (writers, speakers, and RESAs) placing themselves
          above others with their holier than thou attitudes,
          etc. I knew this one RESA that would use mind
          tricks on her chelas. She would look at them and
          attempt to read their minds. It was funny to watch
          as she intimidated them with her looks by staring
          through them. Of course, once I caught on to what
          she was doing I did the same thing back to her
          and it rattled her because she felt blocked. There
          wasn't anything to the mind reading, of course,
          but my body language and facial expression (back
          at her) simply showed her that I wasn't buying into
          it and this puzzled and confused her. She wasn't
          in control after all. I doubt that she knew that I
          had figured out what she was doing. Actually, I
          noticed other "heavy hitters" doing similar things
          with people.

          There was one former RESA, and speaker, who
          would control the situation by withholding affection
          and this affected certain people. She was always
          friendly towards me and gave me hugs and kisses
          while some of my friends were snubbed and one
          complained to me about it! The only thing I can
          figure is that my one friend, who was snubbed,
          was a very attractive female and this might have
          been a territorial thing. LOL!

          Anyway, it was amusing to watch some of these
          "chosen ones." I learned a lot! I think the RESA
          powers really changed people. Millie, Helen, Elmo,
          and many other old-timers were really nice and
          genuine people who weren't afraid to speak their
          minds on a myriad of subjects rather than the
          confines of what Klemp wanted them to promote.
          After all, what was HK going to do to them that
          wouldn't have some repercussions! This is why
          Ford should have stayed inside ECKankar and
          spoke his mind.

          Prometheus