Re: Ford Johnson's HCS vs Eckankar - What Ford doesn't do

  • jonathanjohns96
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16 10:16 PM
      I thought that I would add another comment on Ford's book.

      I am a former 29 year member of Eckankar. Yes, Ford was the top speaker at Eckankar seminars for many many years. But eventually he saw through Eckankar's lies and fabrications and felt it was his responsibility to write a book correcting all the unintentional lies he had been telling people while a member. Of course, when that happened, members of Eckankar turned on him and said he was an agent for the Kal (devil), was based on the mental plane only (not spiritual), and was interested in getting rich by writing an expose about Eckankar. I know what they said because I was still a member. Funny how these same people were praising him the day before he left Eckankar. Yet he was the same heart-based individual after he left Eckankar as before he left.

      Also, there is no anger coming from Ford in his book. Stating that it is there is a tactic that members of Eckankar use to discredit Ford. I read the book; there is no anger coming from Ford. I strongly suspect that the anger is being generated by the Eckists themselves who read the book, and they lack the ability to differentiate things properly.

      > All,
      >
      > I was over at Amazon.com reading some of the reviews for Ford Johnson's book Confessions Of A Godseeker. A person wrote a review that I pretty much agreed with, but at the end stated that Ford wanted to make his own spiritual movement like Eckankar's. Whether they literally meant that Ford's Higher Consciousness Society resembled Eckankar is something I am not sure of. while it is true that a lot of HCS does resemble Eckankar, it also resembles the religions that Eckankar was based on. Regardless, there a lot of very important differences between Eckankar and Ford's group.
      >
      > I tried to post a follow-up comment on Amazon, but I couldn't. So I decided to put it here. Everything between the two dashed line is my comment which I would have posted over there.
      >
      > - - - - - - - - - -
      > Ford did start his own "Higher Cosciousness Society" as he calls it, and it didn't impress me either. But your saying "his own spiritual movement like Eckankar" is a bit wrong. Let me explain what Ford DIDN'T do in his Higher Consciousness Society. These are all things that Eckankar DOES DO.
      >
      > Ford
      > (1) did not copy other's writings and then claim them as his own
      > (2) did not say "I am God realized. Follow me."
      > (3) did not say "Sing HU and visualize me."
      > (4) did not say "Give me your problems. I will solve them for you when you are sleeping at night."
      > (5) did not say "If you leave my group, you will suffer in astral Hells until you accept me again."
      > (6) does not promise that if you follow his routine that you will never have to suffer through another incarnation on Earth
      > (7) does not insist that his way is better than everybody else's,
      > (8) does not say that every religion in the world sprung out of his Higher Consciousness Society.
      > (9) does not charge a membership fee of over $120 a year
      > (10) does not spend a ton of money advertising his group. I don't think he advertizes his group at all.
      > (11) does not have an "initiation routine" set up in order to keep his members preoccupied with something that has no intrinsic meaning or value.
      >
      > At the end of your comment, you also state that Eckankar's techniques are better than Ford's. I don't use either, but even if you are correct, what price do people have to pay to use Eckankar's techniques? You have to sign your life over to the present leader of Eckankar. You have to accept him as you savior. You have to promise to dedicate your life to him (that happened to me during my second initiation). Ford doesn't require anything like that.
      > - - - - - - - - - -
      >
      > Everybody can feel free to add any additional differences.

    • Non
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16 11:08 PM
        It's been a while since I read the whole book, but I do recall feeling that the first half of the book was the best, and his discussion of religion in general. He also showed how the original India version, Rhada Soami was not much better or even the Sufi version from which most of the plagiarism came from. He does however, seem to believe that eckists would not leave eckankar unless they had something to take its place, and so he did try to have a big Seminar in Las Vegas and monthly on line spiritual meetings in which they would chant HUM instead of HU. Actually, now that I look at what I just wrote, maybe we should just go to an ek function and chant HMM? several times in rhythm and inflection, about 3 seconds apart. Just doing that makes me feel good and I can feel it remove any eckieguilt leftover. : ) LOL

        The problem as I see it, is that there is still too much in the direction of spiritual grandiosity. We create all that happens to us, no exceptions, and there just isn't enough of the kind of spirituality of Compassion. It's still very New Age, IMO.

        I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, that he is open to change and evolution of ideas as well as admitting to,"hmm, maybe that part wasn't so good or a mistake". Otherwise, it's just more dogma like.

        I'm still waiting for a Spirituality that includes a real sense of the Scientific Method. Think of how many Chemists who literally gave their lives, because their experiment blew up in their face, yet the periodic table is a pretty amazing thing. To some it may be boring, but if you take your time and get into newer theories about quantum theory and that scientists can actually take pictures of atoms and electrons, etc., well, just think about the fact that you cannot read this email without the technology utilized by chemists. And even there, they are willing to admit that their theories are just that, and creativity and change in thinking and ideas may take that technology to new levels that solve problems world wide, including Global Warming, that I doubt will be solved by positive thinking it away.

        noneckster ; )

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 17 11:52 PM
          Hello Non and Jonathan,
          Interesting thread. I've been traveling
          and away from the computer and just
          now saw these posts.

          I could only read about the first two-
          thirds of Ford's "Confessions" and other
          former ECKists have told me the same.
          The rest of the book didn't interest me.
          I never really found Ford's workshops
          at EK Seminars all that interesting, for
          me, because he seemed to be focused
          upon manifesting success and the talks
          seemed rather business oriented.
          However, Ford is a dynamic speaker
          and just listening to him present his
          ideas was quite interesting and enjoyable.

          Yes, I was at Ford's first HCS seminar
          and was posting on his two sites at
          one time but never did the paid membership.
          HCS wasn't a religion, but it wasn't
          something I wanted to join either.

          I'm, now, an anti-joiner, mostly, and
          when I do "join" something I certainly
          don't buy everything they sell.

          Prometheus

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 18 7:11 AM
            I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, that he is open to change
            and evolution of ideas as well as admitting to,"hmm, maybe that part
            wasn't so good or a mistake". Otherwise, it's just more dogma like.

            Noneckster,

            Not totally sure what you meant there. However, "hu"
            with an "m" is closer to sounding like "aum", or "om".

            Someplace in the writings by Paul Twitchell the word
            "AUM", or "OM" appears where, now, in the modern
            version, is the word "HU".

            I have the quotes someplace, and I think they were
            also posted at E.S.A.

            Another place (also in quotes at E.S.A.) Paul makes
            mention of the sound "hum", I believe, and some of
            the words he used to chant.

            Someone could follow up on this, if that is even what
            you were referring to. I wasn't sure the context, what
            you meant by: "hmm, maybe that part wasn't so good
            or a mistake". I assumed you meant "hu" with an "m".

            In any case (even if you were talking about something
            else) it brings up an interesting subject, IMO, looking
            for the history (etymology) of "hu" and "aum".

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 18 11:47 PM
              Hello All,
              I have read where Paul would talk about
              and teach chanting OM and AUM ("Difficulties?")
              years before he taught about HU, although,
              "Hu" is mentioned in "The Path of the Masters"
              which was PT's main resource book.

              I've also read somewhere in a PT book(?),
              and heard some ECKists, pronounce HU as
              "WHO." However, I forget where I read about
              that pronunciation. In retrospect it was odd
              that these EKists were using this old pronunciation
              from what was probably an obscure out-of-
              print book of PT's (I'm guessing) from long
              ago. They seemed so loyal and star struck
              to/with Klemp, but then again, HK has called
              them by name and pointed them out while
              he was on stage and has printed some of
              their simple and sometimes embellished
              stories.

              Of course these same or similar experiences
              and stories citing minor miracles and interventions
              have been told by Christians as well. I think
              that some Eckists just want/need attention
              and to stand out from the crowd because
              they have strong egos and they want to express
              their individuality. This is also why many
              older/long time ECKists rebel against and
              exhibit passive/aggressive behaviour toward
              the RESAs (police/guardians) and the ESC
              Guidelines.