Re: All ECKists Should Respond To This In Order To Vent

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 14, 2010
      Hello Jonathan and All,
      Thanks for the responses. I'd like to
      make some additional comments
      below. [P]

      jonathanjohns wrote:

      Promethus and all,

      A few more comments about Eckankar's curses.

      I'd like to mention something for the benefit of those of you who haven't been
      able to followed all the past discussionss on this message board. I was over at
      a.r.e. (the Google Group alt.religion.eckankar) talking about something and one
      of the Eckists over there said that I was "regurgitating" (their words)
      Prometheus' old theory about..... I don't even remember exactly what the subject
      for discussion was, but it doesn't matter. I very adamantly pointed out to them,
      that, yes, I agree with a lot of what Prometheus says, but I had figured it all
      out long before I read about Prometheus discussing it on this message board. So
      I am not copying Prometheus and Prometheus has never copied me. We both are very
      independently-minded people and it just so happens that we came to many of the
      same conclusions about what was/is going on in Eckankar. I did not even read ET
      or ESA until Dec 17 (the day I quit Eckankar) or Dec 18 in 2008. It was around
      that time; please forgive my bad memory.

      ***
      [P] In past articles I've used the term
      "regurgitate" when describing what
      Klemp does when he gives his talks
      and writes his books. I'm thinking
      the A.R.E. ECKies are "regurgitating"
      the words I've used about their "precious"
      Mahanta.

      Plus, most people will have the same
      thoughts, reach the same conclusions
      and use some of the same words and
      expressions to communicate their ideas.
      However, if you ever listen to an ECKist
      they will sound like an EK Brochure.
      Only the ECKists that are Unauthorized
      to speak for Eckankar and go against
      Klemp's Guidelines and who second
      guess their Mahanta via Internet sites
      will speak outside of the required EK
      speak.
      ***

      And when I started reading Ford Johnson's book (1-3 months before I left
      Eckankar?) I had the exact same experience. As I was reading his book I clearly
      remember when Ford was talking about Eckankar's curses. and I said to myself
      "Yes! Ford saw it too!" It made me feel better for two reasons. First of all,
      Ford is a very intelligent person. Secondly he was a 7th initiate and 29 year
      member of Eckankar so he obviously knew the teachings of Eckankar as well as
      anyone. And so I said to myself "If Ford saw it too, I'm obviously not
      hallucinating or imagining things." My recollection is that Ford said that he
      was late in seeing them. I believe he said he never noticed them in his first 20
      years in Eckankar. I really think the reason I noticed them so early in Eckankar
      is because they struck fear in me at the time I read them.

      So the curses in Eckankar seem to affect some people, but not others.
      Prometheus, I believe that you have said in the past that they didn't affect
      you, or that you even doubted their effectiveness. I think the truth is that
      they affect some people, but not others.

      ***
      [P] Yes, Ford would have 36 years (or so)
      in Eckankar, today, if he had stayed. As
      for the curses... ECKists think that those
      don't apply to them because they're not
      going to be leaving... this was the one true
      "path" that they had been looking for all
      along. Thus, the curses didn't bother them.
      We didn't think about the curses being used
      as a threat or as a scare tactic or as a lower
      plane power tripping tool. It didn't apply
      to us so why worry about it... right? Yet,
      it was exactly like the same crap (threats)
      that had hung over our heads from our
      previous religions which we rejected for
      similar manipulations.
      ***

      Prometheus said about the Eckankar Worship Service:

      "The EWS is normally scheduled on Sundays to
      compete with the Christian Worship Services
      and for Klemp to fit-in with his fellow religious
      leaders in the Minneapolis community by having
      Sunday Worship Services. This seems or gives
      the appearance of being less cult like too."

      JJ - I'm not sure Klemp is trying to compete with the Christian Worship
      Services, that's awfully optimistic of Eckankar, but I agree fully with the rest
      of your statement.

      ***
      [P] Many people go "church" hunting
      on Sundays. I've done it prior to finding
      Eckankar. And, that's how Glenn Beck
      and his family found LDS.
      ***

      EWS - - > Eckankar looks more like Christianity
      EWS - - > Eckankar looks less cult-like

      But you jogged my memory of something that I had somehow completely forgotten
      about. Awhile ago (pre 1999?) I was looking at a Sunday newspaper at the ads for
      churches and their Sunday church services. In the newspaper, each church of many
      different Christian denominations had their own little ad. You may not believe
      what I just remembered. There was an ad for "Eckankar Church." And it was mixed
      right in with all of the Christian worship services! I was gobsmacked. I said to
      myself "How the heck did that get in there!?" In other words, I thought surely
      that the editor of the newspaper had made a mistake.

      ***
      [P] Our local area, too, (within the state
      Satsang area) would place ads in the paper
      to publicize our Sunday ECK Worship Service
      and the ad would be listed with the other
      churches... that was the whole point. My
      wife and I were the ones who first did this
      type of specific ad. I probably shared this
      info (our success with getting it in) with
      the RESA so that other areas could do so
      as well. This was probably around 1990-
      91. It was really funny how I'd have successes
      with getting Eckankar into areas where
      others had difficulty. I had moved to a
      new state and the local EK area I was in
      wasn't permitted in Libraries (so they said).
      By the time I was done we were doing
      Intros and having Roundtables in three
      local libraries. The Local Director amazed.
      ***

      But as I look back on it now, I realize what really happened. Some Eckist had
      snuck that in there while attempting to pass Eckankar off as "being like
      Christianity." And this was in a very conservative part of the United States. I
      bet the editor(s) at the newspaper just about went through the roof when they
      found out the truth about the "Eckankar Church." That it wasn't a Christian
      Church.

      Oh well. It just proves how far members of Eckankar will go to try to hoodwink
      the public. I'm very glad I remembered this. I remember it very clearly though.
      When I saw the words "Eckankar Church" I was just about screaming at the
      newspaper "How can you call Eckankar a church?" It was if I was insulted. After
      all, how could someone compare a mere church to Eckankar? (my programming as an
      Eckist).

      ***
      [P] True. We'd pass ourselves off as an
      alternative religion that recognized the
      validity of all other religions. Of course
      that wasn't really true but it sounded
      good at the time and in the moment.
      The real truth of the matter is that all
      other religions are seen by Eckankar
      as KAL (Satan, Devil) based and as 2nd
      or 4th Plane. It always made me wonder
      why PT and Klemp skipped the 3rd (Causal)
      Plane.
      ***

      I was so naive back then. This was before I had started to notice the
      Christianization of Eckankar. The Chistianization was there, but I just wasn't
      seeing it for what it was.

      "H.I.s, supposedly, are more advanced (via
      initiation) than the 4th Plane God that ALL
      non-ECKists on the planet worships!"

      Right again, Prometheus. And you mentioned something very important that I
      didn't think of in my previous comments on this topic. And it is VERY applicable
      to me. That is, I had extremely high expectations of these people. After all,
      wasn't I being taught that Eckankar is the highest religion of them all? And
      that all other religions in the World have sprung out of Eckankar? My gosh! Then
      these people in Eckankar who were the "higher initiates" should be super
      amazing, super great, and super awesome! So yes, my expectations were very very
      high.

      And then when these people didn't just fall below my expectations, but fell WAY
      below, it was hard on me. And I seriously started to wonder "Are these people
      really as high as they are supposed to be? As high I as I think they are?" So it
      did affect me. I think that, consistent with my personality of being
      disappointed with others, I just withdrew from the whole thing and lived in my
      own world of Twitchell's books. I'll admit that I did enjoy Klemp's tapes too (I
      guess I shouldn't admit that here). But most of his books were boring, and were
      in many cases just "reprints" of the exact same stories in his tapes.

      ***
      [P] I too had H.I.s upon pedestals. One
      was an early mentor. Later, after I left,
      I shared Ford's "Confessions" with this
      person and they too left EK. I still had
      them upon a pedestal, but later that too
      ended. At one time I had Ford upon a
      pedestal for awhile. Really, these people
      are as flawed as the rest of us. Klemp
      is no different and, as I discovered, HK's
      one of the most flawed and screwed up
      people that I've ever met... he just doesn't
      reveal it as much if you're not looking
      or are brainwashed. Besides, he's always
      "on stage" and acting out a role. At the
      Eden Prairie Mall etc. he's under scrutiny
      by lurking ECKists but he knows this and
      is, thus, on his best behaviour with the
      public and with Joan.
      ***

      So, Prometheus, I actually admire you for being actively involved in Eckankar
      because I couldn't handle it. So your experiences led to a very different
      experience with Eckankar. I always have been a loner, and after having only a
      few bad interactions with members of Eckankar, I withdrew into my own world
      which also means that I pretty much stopped going to Eckankar meetings. This all
      happened very early in my interaction with Eckankar: probably mid 1980s (I
      joined in 1979).

      ***
      [P] BTW- Don't admire me for this:
      I'd always try to bring the "loners"
      into the fold (when they dropped in)
      by welcoming them at the EWS and
      chat with them after the service. I
      would instruct others to do so, as well,
      instead of chatting with their EK friends.
      I'd invite them to go to lunch with us,
      too, and try to talk them and others
      into doing some volunteer work of
      their choosing and let them know where
      we needed help. And, I'd give them
      a volunteer position "title" and place
      them under another co-ordinator.
      Our small center had about 30 EKists
      with volunteer positions.
      ***

      Toward the end of my time in Eckankar, I started attending a lot more EWSs. I
      think I was in a situation where I wanted to give Eckankar a chance to prove
      itself to me. I was getting very cynical about the whole thing by now. But the
      more I went to ESWs, and the more I interacted with Eckists, the more I got a
      really bad impression of them. I mean, they all had their good qualities too.
      But what bothered me was the blind dedication that these people had toward
      Eckankar, and how they would defend Eckankar no matter what. It was very
      disturbing to me.

      And so I finally did decide that there just too many negatives.

      ***
      [P] I'd always sympathize and/or
      empathize with ECKists having
      problems with the dogma, or with
      H.I.s, and try to get them back "on
      track." Sometimes I wasn't able to
      and just said to them, "Let go and
      let God and do what feels right for
      you." That suggestion would catch
      them off-guard. They couldn't believe
      that I wasn't saying more B.S. to
      promote Eckankar or to alleviate
      their concerns. But, If it doesn't
      feel right then there's a reason
      for that... sometimes it's called
      intuition... which is Soul speaking
      to self. It just takes some of us
      longer to listen or understand
      what Soul (we) are saying to self
      (mind).
      ***
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 14, 2010
        Hello Jonathan and All,
        You've made some good points.
        It does seem odd that a 500
        year old Tibetan Lama (Rebazar)
        would speak Old English. It's
        probably because Twitchell
        used the King James version
        of the Bible for references.
        I always thought it was odd
        that Klemp, too, uses the
        more inaccurate King James
        version when giving Bible quotes.

        Prometheus

        jonathanjohns wrote:
        romethues wrote:

        "But I was wondering, once again
        as I did when I was an ECKist,
        Why does Rebazar speak using
        words like "thee' and "ye?" This
        "Torch Bearer" and former Mahanta
        who is over 500 years old and
        who can travel anywhere physically
        or otherwise and who PT claimed
        trained him apparently stepped in
        as the LEM (for Sudar/Kirpal) and
        handed Twitchell the Rod of ECK
        Power... still speaks using thee
        and ye?"

        JJ - After I stopped laughing at your funny comment, I started thinking. "Isn't
        this ye and thee stuff actually Old English? And the reason that it sounds Holy
        in a traditional Christian sort of way is because some of the old versions of
        the Bible were written in Old English?

        And so I turned to that "bastion of truth." That "torchbearer of all things
        correct." Not Eckankar, but, Wikipedia:

        Wikipedia - Thou
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou
        "Most modern English speakers encounter "thou" only in the works of Shakespeare,
        in the works of other medieval and early modern writers, and in the King James
        Bible.

        So after realizing that in this case it looks like I was correct, I wondered
        about a few things:

        1. Rebazar is 500 years old. How old is Old English?
        2. Regardless of the answer to #1, how and why did Rebazar learn to speak Old
        English?

        Wikipedia - Old English
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_english
        "Old English (Englisc, Anglisc, Ænglisc) or Anglo-Saxon[1] is an early form of
        the English language that was spoken and written by the Anglo-Saxons and their
        descendants in parts of what are now England and south-eastern Scotland between
        at least the mid-5th century and the mid-12th century."

        Wikipedia - 5th Century
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_century
        "The 5th century is the period from 401 to 500 in accordance with the Julian
        calendar in Anno Domini/Common Era."

        Wikipedia - 12th Century
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12th_century
        "As a means of recording the passage of time, the 12th century is the period
        from 1101 to 1200 in accordance with the Julian calendar in the Christian/Common
        Era."

        Rebazar's birth year
        1965-500=1465

        If Rebazar was 35 years old in 1500, that means he was speaking Old English
        about 350 years after it had died out in England and Scotland.

        Ok, I admit it it. I have no idea what any of this proves...

        - - - - - - - - - - -

        UPDATE: Maybe I do know what it proves. Maybe Twitchell knew that most
        Americans, being of a Christian background, would associate Old English with the
        Bible. In other words, with Holy writings or spiritual truth.

        I knew that Twitchell stole some verses from the Bible, but I never thought
        about this before. The fact that Twitchell may have had Rebazar use the words
        thee and ye in order to create a spiritual-like persona for Rebazar.

        I'm wondering whether Ford Johnson mentioned this. He must have.

        Search results of "Confessions"

        "old english" - no occurrences
        "king james" - one occurrence (p 117) but not related to a discussion of
        Twitchell's use of thee and ye.
        "thee" - numerous, but Ford actually uses the word 'thee' in some of his HCS
        affirmations.

        But Ford is allowed to use thee since he was raised in the United States. Plus,
        I think that if Ford was questioned, he would acknowledge that he probably got
        the word "thee" from reading the King James version of the Bible. I don't think
        Twitchell would acknowledge that Rebazar got the word "thee" from reading the
        King James version of the Bible, or from somehow being exposed to Old English
        which was spoken from 450 to 1150.

        Questions for further study.
        1. Did all the Eck masters use thee and ye? Or just Rebazar?
        2. Did these Eck masters speak that way just because they knew Twitchell would
        feel comfortable with it?
        3. Did any of Paul's actual gurus such as Kirpal Singh or Premananda use thee
        and ye in their speech?
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 14, 2010
          Hello Drew and All,
          Thanks for the perspective.
          Of course Rebazar is fictitious,
          but Twitch needed someone
          "living" (a LEM fill-in, supposedly)
          to initiate him as LEM since
          he killed off Sudar/Kirpal.

          This EK Master lineage thing
          is somewhat of a Catch-22
          isn't it? On one hand these
          characters have been living,
          supposedly, 500-60,000 years
          in the same physical body.
          However, where are they?
          They live in PHYSICAL BODIES,
          or so Eckankar claims, and
          are nowhere to be found.
          The Physical is not an invisible
          Plane, but these "Masters"
          are invisible... and yet work
          under Klemp (the mahanta).
          So, why doesn't Klemp have
          them give talks at EK Seminars
          ... ever!

          On the other hand one has
          to be "special" in order to
          see and talk with these undead
          ECK Masters. But, then again,
          these ECKists claiming to have
          had visitations with RT, et al,
          in their dreams, etc., still need
          approval from Klemp in order
          to share these "stories."

          Otherwise, without approval,
          from Klemp these claims are
          unsubstantiated and invalid
          since these "EK Masters" might
          just be the KAL playing tricks
          on chelas and H.I.s. One is
          supposed to "HU" in order to
          verify that this is a True ECK
          Master... like Graham claimed.
          But we all know how that turned
          out.

          Then again, this validating
          procedure is also used to
          prevent more and more
          delusional claims and
          threats to Klemp. Plus,
          thereare a lot of psychologically
          impaired, dysfunctional,
          and psychotic ECKists out
          there in la la land. Thus,
          Klemp has to employ stop-
          gap measures, dogma,
          and rules to maintain order
          and to keep them happy
          and standing in line for
          their turn... or so they
          imagine.

          Prometheus

          jonathanjohns96@> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > > "thee" - numerous, but Ford actually uses the word 'thee' in some of his HCS affirmations.
          >

          > > But Ford is allowed to use thee since he was raised in the United States. Plus, I think that if Ford was questioned, he would acknowledge that he probably got the word "thee" from reading the King James version of the Bible. I don't think Twitchell would acknowledge that Rebazar got the word "thee" from reading the King James version of the Bible, or from somehow being exposed to Old English which was spoken from 450 to 1150.
          >

          > > Questions for further study.
          >
          > > 1. Did all the Eck masters use thee and ye? Or just Rebazar?
          >
          > > 2. Did these Eck masters speak that way just because they knew Twitchell would feel comfortable with it?
          >
          > > 3. Did any of Paul's actual gurus such as Kirpal Singh or Premananda use thee and ye in their speech?

        • jonathanjohns96
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 15, 2010
            Prometheus,

            Thank you for the comments. I found them to be very helpful and very healing.

            Jonathan
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 16, 2010
              Hello Jonathan,
              Thanks. I don't know what I said,
              but thanks anyway. Sometimes
              I think I should write and thank
              Klemp for being such a boring
              wannabe who lacks charisma.

              BTW-Imagine how many more
              ECKists there would be, now, if
              Klemp had even close to the same
              amount of charisma as Twitchell
              or Gross had.

              Plus, it seems that Klemp has
              been in semi-retirement for
              a number of years now. This
              semi-seclusion/retirement
              became more apparent when
              he stopped traveling to major
              ECK Seminars. I'm thinking that
              he made more "cheesy" health
              excuses to in order to justify
              his changes in behaviour and
              not wanting to travel.

              Remember the time HK talked
              about eating too much cheese
              and this had a negative health
              effect upon him? He probably
              got constipated! It was stupid
              on his part, but isn't that called
              gluttony too and is one of the
              Five Passions of the Mind. One
              would think that a Mahanta
              (although not perfect) would
              be higher in consciousness.

              However, Klemp turns even his
              own lack of consciousness and
              common sense around and uses
              his ill health as an excuse. His
              illnesses have now become the
              result of taking on more Karma
              for his chelas and acting as a karmic
              "holding tank" so that his Chelas
              and H.I.s can advance in consciousness
              and, thereby, in their initiations.

              How's that worked out for ECKists?
              In Eckankar today there are even
              more restrictions/requirements
              for H.I.s to qualify for the next
              higher initiation and title (i.e. cleric,
              initiator, ESA, RESA). And, thanks
              to Klemp, there are no longer
              Major ECK Seminars in California
              and Florida in the colder months
              of Oct. and March-April.

              BTW- Don't "Holding Tanks" get
              emptied so that more can be taken
              in? It's an on-going process/cycle
              kind of like using that old "Snow
              Ball Technique" over and over again.

              Well, this is all a moot point isn't
              it. Klemp has no powers... he's a
              fraud. I can see why he seems meek,
              at times, since he is aware that it's
              all a game he's playing and that
              any day now he'll be discovered
              for being a fraud. That's why he's
              not letting ECKists know where
              all the money is going since he's
              hide enough away to take care
              of himself just in case. But, what
              will that take for more ECKists to
              see through the facade? I don't know...
              maybe HK dropping over dead or
              having a stroke or maybe cancer?

              Don't get me wrong... I'd never
              wish that on anyone, but it happens
              everyday to all kinds of people and
              even to H.I.s. (of course). Yes, H.I.s
              are not special, and they get cancer
              too! Thus, Klemp is not exempt
              from this happening to him. Look
              at Twitchell... he didn't predict
              his heart attack and death! But,
              according to his own EK scripture
              (as the LEM/Mahanta) he should
              have known well in advance as
              to when he would be translating.

              However, in "Difficulties Of Being
              The Living ECK Master" Paul was
              meeting with his inner circle of
              H.I.s (in a business meeting) on
              the day of his death. The notes
              and comments of that meeting
              are given here. And, PT was making
              plans for his future with Eckankar
              in this meeting. Paul gave no indication
              (just the opposite) of his impending
              death on that very same night.

              This is just one more reason as
              to why this historical ECK book
              was not republished by Eckankar
              (Klemp). It's not like "Difficulties"
              can't be republished/reprinted
              since Eckankar has its own printing
              equipment, does the publishing,
              and owns PT's copyrights. Thus,
              this is just one more cover-up
              showing that Eckankar is simply
              another false teaching/religion
              that can't keep it's promises in/for
              this Here and Now.

              Prometheus

              Jonathan wrote:

              Prometheus,

              Thank you for the comments. I found them to be very helpful and very healing.

              Jonathan
            • postekcon
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 17, 2010
                EKULT, AN APPRAISAL

                I remember the ekult I joined 1970's. It seemed alive, vibrant, a movement which seemed to know what it was about and where it was going! Under the charismatic and artistic leadership of Darwin Gross membership numbers grew and grew. Because the movement was 'CURRENT' for the consciousness of those times, new members came with minimal recruitment effort!

                We were excited. Ekult promised us it had the 'tools' to experience greater individualism, freedom and spiritual 'unfoldment', and we believed the hype! We had grown up in the 'Flower Power' era and listening to The Beatles music! We were interested in TM (transcendental meditation), we were interested in all things 'eastern' and wanted to know more. Paul Twitchell too, was in-tune with this consciousness, he was 'CURRENT' for the times. The mail order education system he founded, matched those needs. Ignoring all plagiaristic issues here, the books and discourses he compiled from the works of other authors satisfied us for several years.

                However consciousness, being fluid, changes, moves on and around and ekult got left behind! Ekult shot itself in the foot, the day it gave leadership to Harold Klemp. Unlike Paul Twitchell he has never been able to tune-in to the consciousness (keep 'current'), produce or even 'compile' works which are dynamic and relevant for the times.

                BTW- In the business world, when a product matches the market forces (consciousness) of the day, it is successful; it is never the other way round!

                You might like to observe the consciousness of youth and those who are under 30 years of age. They tend to live life to the extreme to the edge of experience e.g. extreme sports etc. They show NO fear of the creation of either sin or karma, or of the consequences of either, whether now or in a hereafter. This is why a karma-based, savior-style religion like the one HK develops makes no sense to their consciousness. Even their devoted ekult parents have been unable to indoctrinate them in ekult ways once they've left the childhood years. (HK himself included as such a parent, I believe!).

                Ekult is an organization born out of human arrogance! Consider this! What level of human arrogance is shown, where an earthly organization claims it has commandeered the very spirit of god (energy of the universe); claims it can trademark it in earthly law and then proceed to market it for profit!! This reminds me of a certain medieval church? It too claimed it had commandeered the way of 'salvation' for the gullible populace. That medieval church, with its resa-structure-style network of upwards reporting, soon descended the slippery slope to the 'Inquisition'. History has a habit of repeating itself…

                Perhaps if ekult had stayed with its original brief and admitted openly to the world, it had been founded as a 'reference' point for the best available philosophies and theories for living life, like a Wikipedia, then it might have remained 'CURRENT'. If only it had cleaned up its act, it could have evolved as an altruistic service and been of benefit to mankind today. Instead, seeing the opportunity for financial gain, HK and owner/s colluded to formulate yet another dead religion to add the world's list. The modus operandi reminds me again of that medieval church which once sold indulgences i.e. money to church in exchange for remission of sins in the hereafter! Similarly ekult devotees can gain prominence (get noticed) by spending lots of own time and money in ekult 'service', and are often rewarded with faster progress through the 'initiation' process. To put this very simply, in ekult, receipt of the next initiation signifies the remission of some sin (karma)!

                'Service' to ekult is always emphasized and hyped as being direct service to the spirit of god! But Catch22 here as ekult also says the true godhead is a Being so detached, it has no interest whether mortals service it or not! What a clever ruse to induce 'service' for ekult coffers and hide its mlm business model. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with how ekult sources funding. In addition to church-plate style donations etc., ekult followers (like mlm affiliates) are expected to service promotional events and fund from their personal wallet promotional materials and products. More importantly, there is also a legal understanding that donations, collected at local level, belong to ekult HQ, and amounts are uploaded accordingly!

                In conclusion, what of any future for ekult – there is none – it's already too late? To my observations what remains are isolated pockets of ekult devotees mostly seniors, mostly single females! Grayed-out, like inactive pc commands, I note the dynamism and energy, I once admired, is long long dead, while larger and ever larger pics of their cultic leader casts its shadow over them…
                -Postekcon

> [...]
                > are given here. And, PT was making
                > plans for his future with Eckankar
                > in this meeting. Paul gave no indication
                > (just the opposite) of his impending
                > death on that very same night.
                >
                > This is just one more reason as
                > to why this historical ECK book
                > was not republished by Eckankar
                > (Klemp). It's not like "Difficulties"
                > can't be republished/reprinted
                > since Eckankar has its own printing
                > equipment, does the publishing,
                > and owns PT's copyrights. Thus,
                > this is just one more cover-up
                > showing that Eckankar is simply
                > another false teaching/religion
                > that can't keep it's promises in/for
                > this Here and Now.
                >
                > Prometheus
                >

                > Jonathan wrote:
                >
                > Prometheus,
                >
                > Thank you for the comments. I found them to be very helpful and very healing.

              • jonathanjohns96
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 17, 2010
                  JJ - Please note. I only pulled forward postekcon's message. I'm going to comment on each paragraph.

                  --- In EckankarSurvivorsAnonymous@yahoogroups.com, "postekcon" <postekcon@...> wrote:

                  > EKULT, AN APPRAISAL
                  >
                  > postekcon > I remember the ekult I joined 1970's. It seemed alive, vibrant, a movement which seemed to know what it was about and where it was going! Under the charismatic and artistic leadership of Darwin Gross membership numbers grew and grew. Because the movement was 'CURRENT' for the consciousness of those times, new members came with minimal recruitment effort!

                  JJ - I joined in 1979, and I can confirm that your description fits Eckankar very well for the 1979 time frame. You really made a very nice description here. I always thought there was a big difference between Eckankar when I joined in 1979 and Eckankar after Klemp had been in charge for awhile. Your description of Eckankar in the 1970s is beautiful.

                  > postekcon > We were excited. Ekult promised us it had the 'tools' to experience greater individualism, freedom and spiritual 'unfoldment', and we believed the hype! We had grown up in the 'Flower Power' era and listening to The Beatles music! We were interested in TM (transcendental meditation), we were interested in all things 'eastern' and wanted to know more. Paul Twitchell too, was in-tune with this consciousness, he was 'CURRENT' for the times. The mail order education system he founded, matched those needs. Ignoring all plagiaristic issues here, the books and discourses he compiled from the works of other authors satisfied us for several years.

                  JJ - Another beautiful description of Eckankar in the 1970s under Gross. I agree completely with your description and comments. Back when I joined in 1979, being interested in "eastern traditions" was OK, even well thought of in Eckankar and in many other parts of society as well. Then under Klemp, he got the "bright" [<-- sarcasm] idea that this was keeping members away. So he steered Eckankar in the direction of imitating Christianity as a way of increasing the membership. Experience has shown that this was a miserable failure in terms of bringing members into Eckankar. After all, other than saying that the HU is a prayer, the underlying teachings are still like the Eastern religions which Eckankar copied (Sant Mant, etc.).

                  > postekcon > However consciousness, being fluid, changes, moves on and around and ekult got left behind! Ekult shot itself in the foot, the day it gave leadership to Harold Klemp. Unlike Paul Twitchell he has never been able to tune-in to the consciousness (keep 'current'), produce or even 'compile' works which are dynamic and relevant for the times.

                  JJ - I agree 100% with your statement that "Ekult shot itself in the foot, the day it gave leadership to Harold Klemp." In fact, I had the same thought a few days ago. Even the same metaphor! Your view that it had to do with Klemp's inability to tune into the consciousness of the times is what I disagree with. I don't think Klemp was trying to that in any genuine way. He was only trying to tune into the consciousness of the times by asking the question "How can we get new members into Eckankar?" The answer he came up with was "Make Eckankar look like Christianity on the surface." I think Eckankar should have been honest and true to its roots and promoted itself for what it is: a copy of Sant Mant, etc., which has been modified for Westerners. Instead, Klemp turned Eckankar into something with a thin veneer of Christianity, but with the same basic Eastern teachings underneath (if you look hard enough), but now emphasizing the use of dreams for spiritual unfoldment.

                  > postekcon > BTW- In the business world, when a product matches the market forces (consciousness) of the day, it is successful; it is never the other way round!
                  >
                  > postekcon > You might like to observe the consciousness of youth and those who are under 30 years of age. They tend to live life to the extreme to the edge of experience e.g. extreme sports etc. They show NO fear of the creation of either sin or karma, or of the consequences of either, whether now or in a hereafter. This is why a karma-based, savior-style religion like the one HK develops makes no sense to their consciousness. Even their devoted ekult parents have been unable to indoctrinate them in ekult ways once they've left the childhood years. (HK himself included as such a parent, I believe!).

                  JJ - ECKANKAR IMITATED CHRISTIANITY. What you say about the under 30 crowd is very true. But that same group of people joined Eckankar like crazy under Gross in the 1970s. Eckankar, as it was originally set up by Twitchell, and maintained by Gross, is never going to be for everyone. It is always going to be for a small minority of people. I think Eckankar's failings in recruitment since 1990 is due to the fact that instead of being true to themselves, they started imitating everyone else. If you have a unique product, why would you ruin your business by starting to imitate everyone else? Eckankar hired a Madison Avenue firm to analyze Eckankar. Klemp spoke about it in one of his talks. Klemp joked that they recommended that Eckankar send Rebazar on a tour around the United States. I think what really happened, is that this report told Eckankar that the Eastern words and concepts were keeping new members away because Eckankar's pool of possible new members is basically people who come from a Christian background, regardless of whether they practice it seriously or not.

                  JJ - ECKANKAR IS A PASSIVE APPROACH TO SPIRITUAL UNFOLDMENT. But the most important issue here may be because Eckankar is a very passive approach (this policy is actually consistent with its Eastern predecessors). And most young people today are not into being passive. Quite the opposite! Under Klemp, Eckankar started emphasizing the use of dreams for spiritual unfoldment. Everything else in Eckankar took a back seat to this approach. And Eckankar today still emphasizes surrendering to the master but much more than Twitchell and Gross did. Again, something that is VERY passive. By the time I left Eckankar in 2008 I was sick of reading Klemp's constant requests in the Mystic World that people love him, etc or they would spiritually hold themselves back. This is NOT what young people today are interested in. They are interested in taking charge and actively pursuing spiritual unfoldment. NOT following the passive approaches put forth by Eckankar. If Eckankar is having any success at all it is because it somehow manages to brainwash some people into thinking that Eckankar's approach is active. But as we all know, it is actually sending people in a direction that keeps them slaves to Eckankar by keeping them in a passive mode of functioning: (1) using dreams for spiritual unfoldment, and (2) relying on a master whom you surrender yourself to.

                  JJ - A quasi-Christian-underlying-Eastern religion emphasizing passive techniques such as dreams for spiritual unfoldment, and requiring people to "surrender to a master" may not be matching the consciousness of today. It just seems that fewer and fewr Westerners are falling for this crap.

                  > postekcon > Ekult is an organization born out of human arrogance! Consider this! What level of human arrogance is shown, where an earthly organization claims it has commandeered the very spirit of god (energy of the universe); claims it can trademark it in earthly law and then proceed to market it for profit!! This reminds me of a certain medieval church? It too claimed it had commandeered the way of 'salvation' for the gullible populace. That medieval church, with its resa-structure-style network of upwards reporting, soon descended the slippery slope to the 'Inquisition'. History has a habit of repeating itself…

                  JJ - I can't comment about the middle ages because I have no knowledge about it. But you are right about the arrogance of Eckankar trademarking God. As I have written about it before on ET (Eckankar Truth message board) and/or ESA, it is blasphemy against God to think that you can trademark God. Eckankar also trademarked their particular sound of God: HU.

                  > postekcon > Perhaps if ekult had stayed with its original brief and admitted openly to the world, it had been founded as a 'reference' point for the best available philosophies and theories for living life, like a Wikipedia, then it might have remained 'CURRENT'. If only it had cleaned up its act, it could have evolved as an altruistic service and been of benefit to mankind today. Instead, seeing the opportunity for financial gain, HK and owner/s colluded to formulate yet another dead religion to add the world's list. The modus operandi reminds me again of that medieval church which once sold indulgences i.e. money to church in exchange for remission of sins in the hereafter! Similarly ekult devotees can gain prominence (get noticed) by spending lots of own time and money in ekult 'service', and are often rewarded with faster progress through the 'initiation' process. To put this very simply, in ekult, receipt of the next initiation signifies the remission of some sin (karma)!

                  JJ - One person, Prometheus (on this message board) has written extensively about the "services get rewards" process in Eckankar. I'm sure that both of you are correct. Believe it or not, I was never aware of that in my 29 years in Eckankar (1979-2008). I was out of touch with the actual "goings on" at the local Eck center. I was living in my own world. As a result, much happier, but completely out of touch with what was really going on in Eckankar. In my latter years I had been reading some things about it on the Internet such as Darwin's legal deposition. Honestly, if it wasn't for the Internet, I don't think I would ever found out the truth about Eckankar.

                  JJ - I think there is some truth to your theory as stated in the beginning of your paragraph. When Klemp took over, he no doubt was made privy to the large amount of plagiarism/lies/exaggerations by Paul Twitchell. He had two choices, either "come clean" or cover it up in order to continue Eckankar's money-making scam. He chose to continue Eckankar's money-making scam. I believe that is what you are saying.

                  JJ - Question. In your first sentence, did you mean "beliefs" instead of "breif?" That makes more sense to me.

                  > postekcon > 'Service' to ekult is always emphasized and hyped as being direct service to the spirit of god! But Catch22 here as ekult also says the true godhead is a Being so detached, it has no interest whether mortals service it or not! What a clever ruse to induce 'service' for ekult coffers and hide its mlm business model. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with how ekult sources funding. In addition to church-plate style donations etc., ekult followers (like mlm affiliates) are expected to service promotional events and fund from their personal wallet promotional materials and products. More importantly, there is also a legal understanding that donations, collected at local level, belong to ekult HQ, and amounts are uploaded accordingly!

                  JJ - Eckankar has a lot of hypocrisy. They speak for God, but in the end it is always about financial gain for Eckankar. But your main point is specifically that in Eckankar "Service for God" is really "Money for Eckankar."

                  JJ - Question. What is "mlm?"

                  > postekcon > In conclusion, what of any future for ekult – there is none – it's already too late? To my observations what remains are isolated pockets of ekult devotees mostly seniors, mostly single females! Grayed-out, like inactive pc commands, I note the dynamism and energy, I once admired, is long long dead, while larger and ever larger pics of their cultic leader casts its shadow over them…
                  > -Postekcon

                  JJ - Very eloquent writing on your part. I agree that it is mostly the oldsters that are keeping Eckankar going. I mentioned this in one of my first posts on ET/ESA when I first left Eckankar in December of 2008. I think there are fewer and fewer potential new members who are interested in Klemp's dream-based version of Eckankar. In other words, the emphasizing of dreams for spiritual unfoldment. In my own experiences, all of my work was in full consciousness actually talking to Eck masters on the inner. For that, I was made to feel like a heretic and pariah when I started telling the Eckists over at a.r.e about it. While in Eckankar, I didn't even dare mention it to all but two or three people. So anyone who has capabilities beyond the "dreaming" techniques currently in Eckankar, you would be better off choosing a more advanced path. I don't know what it is, but you might consider a real Native American shaman if you can find one, and if you can handle the rigors of that. An it's not "easy" like Eckankar is. Looking at the big picture, I think it might be OK to get some basic spiritual awareness under Eckankar or some other religion, but after that, move on, because Eckankar has little to offer.

                  JJ - So, postekcon, thanks for your post. It was very well written, and very eloquently written. You made a lot of points, and I agree with virtually all of them.

                  Jonathan
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 18, 2010
                    Hello All,
                    I saw the following and it reminded me
                    of something:

[...]

                    [P] Klemp changing the direction of Eckankar
                    towards Christianity with Sunday Worship Services,
                    etc. reminded me of the movie of "Silence of
                    the Lambs." The FBI agent tracked "Buffalo Bill"
                    down by looking at where and what he coveted.

                    The same came be applied to Klemp. He was
                    attending a Luteran Seminary to become a
                    preacher/minister. Thus, he took Eckankar
                    in a direction away from the Eastern Teachings
                    and closer to what he knew and had been
                    trained in. And, since most Eckists come from
                    a Christian background and the fact that this
                    is still, for the most part, a Christian country
                    (as is Europe) this makes for a familiar fit.

                    Got to go now.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 18, 2010
                      I could identify with a number of points in
                      that appraisal. I liked this part especially:

                      "BTW- In the business world, when a product
                      matches the market forces (consciousness)
                      of the day, it is successful; it is never the
                      other way round!"

                      And about the youth, and consciousness,
                      the youth of today have easy access to a
                      lot more information and sources of inform-
                      ation for research purposes, where most of
                      the older generations had the library and a
                      card catalog.

                      I'd often thought about Paul Twitchell in the
                      library, compiling and researching. And now
                      I ask myself: WHY DID IT EVER STOP?

                      Today, with the resources available, people
                      can not only look at materials that Paul T.
                      compiled & researched from, but they can
                      take it further by continuing to compile and
                      research (not forgetting to cite references &
                      credit sources, of course). However, how
                      much does it happen in organized religion?
                      Because, doesn't it challenge the traditional
                      existing dogma whenever a person decides
                      to improve on it? Or, go beyond it? (Not to
                      mention, expose it, give some history of it
                      and show where it REALLY came from.)

                      What are Eckankar's chances of seeing a
                      "REFORMATION"? Personally, I think it's
                      inevitable. The organization will change, or
                      will become another fossil religion. Both of
                      these forces are working antagonistic to
                      one another in the lives of many people to-
                      day, IMO. There is the traditional religious
                      dogma and there is the need to change it.
                      Some want change, and others are afraid
                      of what that will mean to the old cherished
                      dogma.

> [...]

                      > and comments of that meeting
                      > are given here. And, PT was making
                      > plans for his future with Eckankar
                      > in this meeting. Paul gave no indication
                      > (just the opposite) of his impending
                      > death on that very same night.
                      >
                      > This is just one more reason as
                      > to why this historical ECK book
                      > was not republished by Eckankar
                      > (Klemp). It's not like "Difficulties"
                      > can't be republished/reprinted
                      > since Eckankar has its own printing
                      > equipment, does the publishing,
                      > and owns PT's copyrights. Thus,
                      > this is just one more cover-up
                      > showing that Eckankar is simply
                      > another false teaching/religion
                      > that can't keep it's promises in/for
                      > this Here and Now.
                      >
                      > Prometheus
                      >

                      > Jonathan wrote:
                      >
                      > Prometheus,
                      >
                      > Thank you for the comments. I found them to be very helpful and

                    • postekcon
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 18, 2010
                        Thank you all for responses...

                        My reference to the medieval church and the 'indulgences' issue, i.e. money to church in exchange for remission of sin in the hereafter, was a special point for HK himself, which he will fully understand from his Lutheran upbringing...

                        The indulgences issue was the great trigger point for the Protestant Reformation. The big irony here is LOL; we now see HK and his concocted church repeating history... 'Service' (time/money) to ekult in exchange for the remission of sin/karma!

                        The lem, due to his high initiation level, claims he is god's rep in all universes. So how come, it is only those who 'service' ekult who are on his fast-track to spiritual enlightenment?

                        A question, I know, many ekult devotees ask of themselves! Ekult is a religion where service to all life is recommended as a way of life! So why is it this 'service' must be in visible form for ekult, for it to actually count as 'service'?
                        -Postekcon
                        p.s. in original post, mlm = multi-level-marketing.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 19, 2010
                          Hello Postekcon and All,
                          Thanks for the post. Yes, it seems that
                          "indulgences" have taken on the name
                          of "service" with Eckankar. However,
                          indulgences were strictly sold for money.
                          Klemp, however, needs a free/volunteer
                          sales team to sell his wares (and Eckankar's),
                          while he gets 50% royalties for anything
                          with his name on it.

                          But, what do these ECKists get on the
                          lower planes for/from their lower plane
                          service? Well, if you're a 7th Initiate and
                          an ESA and don't want the headache
                          of being a RESA then you don't get
                          anything because you've hit the glass
                          ceiling.

                          Maybe one can be a Director within
                          the Satsang but that's a pain with
                          people calling you all the time and
                          then having to write reports and plan
                          events etc. Plus you have to call people
                          and remind them to write and turn
                          in their reports to you! Except for
                          being in the limelight and having
                          some power it's really not worth it.
                          But, for some the small amount of
                          power and notoriety would be worth
                          it the hassle I guess but it won't get
                          you anywhere except to be considered
                          for the RESA's spot when/if it opens
                          up. The RESA position is a status
                          position, but for those 7ths who
                          have been there and done that
                          there's nothing else except the
                          hope of getting an 8th. But Klemp
                          is a tight ass and doesn't want to
                          share the wealth so kiss that 8th
                          good-bye. But who knows...
                          Of course that's another Catch-22.
                          If an ECKists desires or covenants
                          that 8th (or whatever) too much
                          then this is why it won't come.
                          But if you "surrender" and give-
                          up your desires then it becomes
                          more possible, but still improbable.
                          That's the "carrot" that is dangled
                          in front of their noses and keeps
                          them distracted in yet another
                          manmade religion.

                          Anyway, if you're not yet an ESA or
                          a 7th Initiate then you are more motivated
                          to play the game. Status and power are
                          the motivators (along with the promises
                          of all the "higher heavenly" benefits one
                          can imagine). Some people need religion.
                          The irony is that ECKists see themselves
                          "above" all other religions while not
                          seeing that they have fallen into the
                          same religious trap.

                          Prometheus

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 19, 2010
                            Hello Postekcon and All,
                            I've really enjoyed the reading the insights
                            from all of the responses. Yes, I was once
                            a Catholic so I know something about the
                            Church's sorted past involving indulgences.
                            It seems that Klemp has modeled his version
                            of ECKankar after the Lutheran version of
                            the Catholic Church. After all, it's what he
                            was taught in seminary school so why not
                            go with what's familiar.

                            If Klemp would have just pulled the names
                            of some recommended H.I.s from a hat,
                            BUT those who are Not participating within
                            "service" areas, it would have given the
                            impression (although false) that, perhaps,
                            "inner" qualifications were still valid litmus
                            tests for Initiation. However, I've never
                            seen a 7th Initiate who was not, at least,
                            a cleric, initiator, etc!

                            What ever happened to "The ECK
                            Contemplative Order" or whatever it was
                            called?" I think it's briefly mentioned in
                            "The Holy Fire of ECK" Book One (pg.60?).

                            Prometheus