Re: What Makes Klemp a Prophet... a second book?

  • avonblue1212
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2010
      Good information Jonathan. Twitchell rode the popular (although esoteric) back of Scientology, Sant Mat, Edgar Cayce, etc. in the 60's to build his new "path". " Religion" was becoming a bad word. Look at the eckankar site now! From the soft pastel colors, gold highlights, clean-cut smiling faces - it looks like a Christian Easter mass announcement. Paul is probably rolling in his proverbial grave. I'm not sure this new look reflects the consciousness of the age, as eckists are led to believe, but more the consciousness of a mid-western man trying to save a dying "religion".

      AB

      > Prometheus,
      >
      > I can't answer your question about what makes Klemp a prophet, but I would like to comment on two other things related to Eckankar's calling Klemp a prophet.
      >
      > First of all, Eckankar could easily make Klemps' weekly radio broadcast in Chanhassen available on Eckankar.org. I haven't actually looked there, but I am assuming that it is not there. Or they could even make mp3s of the broadcast and distribute them for free on Eckankar.org. (Ha ha! Fat chance of Eckankar giving something away for free!)
      >
      > Secondly, "prophet" is a term used widely by Christianity. Islam obviously uses it too, but that is a translation from Middle Eastern languages. So I see Eckankar's use of the term prophet as applied to HK as another example of Eckankar imitating Christianity in order to make themselves more appealing to people of Christian ancestry.
      >
      > Twitchell used terms like "satguru" and even "avatar," and probably other words of Indian origin. Those terms tend to color Eckankar as a religion from India. Eckankar is from India, of course, but Eckankar wants to de-emphasize that in its initial portrayal of itself to potential new members. So using the term "prophet" allows Eckankar to further distance itself from Paul's "India-colored" version of Eckankar. Paul's version of Eckankar actually worked for Eckankar in the 60s and 70s when the Beatles and others were turning to eastern religions such as Maharishi's Transcendental Meditation (TM). But today, Eckankar continues to distance itself from that image, at least in its initial presentation to non-members.
      >
      > So using a Christian term and avoiding an Indian term is really part of the same process. The Christian term cancels out any weird-sounding East Indian term like "Mahanta." Of course, new members do find out the truth eventually.
      >
      > In case any historians like Etznab read this, Paul used the word avatar in one of his cassette tapes. I learned the word from him and his tape. And also, he mispronounced the word. He pronounced the first syllable like "save." So I pronounced the word incorrectly for 30 years, all the way up to when the movie came out. And just because I am such a perfectionist, I asked a man from India who was in an Indian grocery store how it is pronounced in India. He told me the standard American pronunciation with the first syllable pronounced like "have." I forgot to mention that the word avatar comes from Sanskrit; that's why I assumed that a person from India would know how to pronounce it correctly.
      >
      > avatar - Merriam-Webster Dictionary
      > http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/avatar
      >
      > Jonathan

    • jonathanjohns96
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2010
        You reminded me of something very important that I have never mentioned on any message board. You said that "Religion" was becoming a bad word. What I wanted to mention is that if Eckankar was calling itself a religion in 1979 when I joined, I would have never joined. The reason is because as you put it, "religion" was a bad word for me. I was very turned off by all religions.

        The interesting thing is that TM had the same by-line (We are not a religion).

        Of course, one of the "faiths" that Paul copied was Radhasoami. But look what Wikipedia says about it:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radha_Soami
        "Radhasoami is a faith, considered by adherents as a true way to realize God. It is neither a religion, nor a caste or creed or sect or a division in society."

        To me, this sounds exactly like the way Twitchell described Eckankar. Dvaid Lane must have mentioned this, but it must have just flown past me.

        Jonathan

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 27, 2010
          Hello Jonathan and All,
          In "Difficulties" Paul was
          referred to as a "saviour."

          Actually, HK's "Modern Prophet"
          designation reminds me more
          of Islam's use of the term, as
          well as, the Mormon use of
          "Prophet." Of course HK is a
          14th Plane God while these
          others are relegated to the
          lower planes ruled by Satan
          (i.e. the Devil, Kal).

          Therefore, (IMO) I see less
          connection to Christianity when
          HK uses "Prophet" to describe
          himself. I see it as more of a
          term a cultist would use. I think
          he's conflicted and is doing this
          because he wants to play down
          the "Mahanta" title since the so-
          called Mahanta is 10 Planes above
          the "God" that every other religion
          prays to and worships... this is
          a much higher status than that
          Jesus or Mohamed.

          And, let's face it, Klemp just can't
          live up to the Mahanta Job Description.
          Maybe that's the real reason he
          plays it down. I still don't see why
          ECKists haven't questioned HK's
          qualifications. According to the
          Shariyat 1 he (the Mahanta) was
          to have had a virgin birth. Harold
          was the second child born by his
          mother and was not adopted!
          Thus, Twitchell has been the only
          Mahanta to this date!

          However, that brings up another
          discussion. The Shariyats are said
          to have been merely "transcribed"
          by Twitchell. The original author
          of Book One is listed as Fubbi and
          Book Two's author is listed as Yaubl.
          I wonder why Rebazar didn't dictate
          a Shariyat to Twit?

          Anyway, why are these Eckankar Holy
          Books offered to the public andr to lower
          initiates? Nothing can be reinterpreted
          or viewed from another perspective as
          it is with the Christian Bible. Every
          scriptural interpretation or dream, etc.
          must be validated and approved by Klemp
          before it can be "taught" and/or promoted.
          Klemp has total control. Therefore, why
          even offer this EK Scripture to the EK
          Membership let alone to the general public?

          Yes, ECKankar practices bait and switch.
          One doesn't discover this, and the implications,
          until one becomes indoctrinated and
          brainwashed via trusting all of those
          smiling faces.

          Prometheus

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 27, 2010
            Hello Jonathan, Avonblue, and All,

            Actually, when I joined, Eckankar was being referred
            to as a "spiritual path" and the term "religion" was
            avoided because we still had a bad taste in our
            mouths about "religion."

            Yes, I did the Cayce (A.R.E.) thing, the TM thing
            and several others. It is interesting that even to
            this day most TMers will say that TM is Not a religion.
            It's a scientific method to reduce stress. ROFLMAO!
            Actually it does work to reduce stress, but secretly
            one is praying to Hindu gods! Maharishi was a
            conman who knew how to (covertly) promote a
            religion to the Western mindset. And, some of the
            ritual for receiving a mantra is very similar to what
            one does at an ECK initiation.

            BTW- It was mentioned as to what the Eckankar
            site looks like now. But, look at how long it took!
            I remember that I was still getting publications
            from TM for about ten years (I couldn't get rid
            of them... they'd track me down) into the 1980s
            and everything was printed in Gold Leaf. Look at
            how long it took Eckankar (Klemp) to change the
            format of the ECK pubs. Weren't the EK publications
            changed to a Gold Leaf look around 1990? Strange
            that he copied TM's look. That's why I said that
            Klemp seems conflicted. HK goes back to his
            familiar Lutheran roots while, also, following
            PT's hodge-podge of Eastern thought. That's
            another thing. Eckankar is a hodge-podge
            religion, therefore, why aren't other perspectives
            permitted? Klemp is the only one who gets to
            say how it is and what you're to say and believe.

            Prometheus

            avonblue wrote:

            > Good information Jonathan. Twitchell rode the popular (although esoteric)
            back of Scientology, Sant Mat, Edgar Cayce, etc. in the 60's to build his new
            "path". " Religion" was becoming a bad word. Look at the eckankar site now!
            From the soft pastel colors, gold highlights, clean-cut smiling faces - it looks

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 30, 2010
              Hello Jonathan,
              There was something you said that got
              me thinking about Twitchell's motives
              for changing things around:

              "Of course, one of the "faiths" that Paul
              copied was Radhasoami. But look what
              Wikipedia says about it:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radha_Soami

              "Radhasoami is a faith, considered by
              adherents as a true way to realize God.
              It is neither a religion, nor a caste or
              creed or sect or a division in society."

              To me, this sounds exactly like the way
              Twitchell described Eckankar. David Lane
              must have mentioned this, but it must
              have just flown past me."

              IMO this is probably the way it began with
              Eckankar, except, Twitchell (and Gail) felt
              the need to make some changes in order
              to protect their investment.

              1. Paul had a Five-Year Plan where he was
              going to hand over the ECKankar leadership
              after Five years, but Eckankar took off with
              memberships increasing and money flowing
              in and this caused Paul to renege on this
              promise in year Four. This outraged those
              standing-in-line to take over and, thus,
              this created a power rift and criticism from
              some highly ranked, respected, and influential
              H.I.s.

              2. Around this same time-frame there were
              problems with a former ECKist, John-Roger,
              using Paul's books and EK Discourses to create
              his own religion. However, this guy continued
              to emulate Twitchell, Gross, and even Klemp!

              3. Around this same time-frame (mid 1968)
              Paul was, still, being criticized by his former
              RUHANI SATSANG members and by his former
              Master Kirpal Singh. This started with PT's
              exaggerations in his (rejected) "The Tiger's
              Fang" manuscript which he had sent to Kirpal
              in order to promote himself for advancement
              (of that org) within the U.S. This, of course,
              was just prior to 1965 and was one reason
              why Gail encouraged Paul to share/sell his
              knowledge and research via intros, memberships,
              tapes, and discourses.

              4. Paul, now, needed to place himself above
              all others, especially, his critics. Paul did this
              by creating the 14th Plane "Mahanta" title
              for himself in January, 1969.

              And, by creating 14 Planes of Initiation he
              not only gave hope in reaching these higher
              planes to placate his Higher Initiates and
              dangle the carrot (higher) in front of them,
              but to also give them an ego boost that made
              them think that their path was the Highest,
              most Exclusive, and Truest one out there.
              After all, he and Gail, were now, in it
              for the long haul, or so he thought.

              Therefore, Paul and Gail, came up with their
              own version of the Hindu Caste System... the
              ECK Initiations! Even to this day only a handful
              of ECKists have ever received the secretive
              9th Initiation... which is odd since the 12th
              isn't a secret!

              However, there is nothing in ECK scripture
              to prevent ECKists (male and female) from
              being made "ECK Masters" (in this lifetime)
              since these 12th Initiates don't have to be
              LEMs! I do predict that Klemp will make
              his wife Joan a 12th, ECK Master, before
              he retires. It could be that he's already
              done this, but hasn't "announced" it to
              the membership. Klemp likes to do the
              20/20 hindsight thing and he has claimed
              in his "Wonderful" book that Joan has,
              supposedly, been introducing ECKists
              to the Mahanta on the "Inner" for
              several years now.

              Unfortunately for ECKists Klemp is selfish
              and fearful to share any of the EK power
              with anyone outside of his current wife.
              Maybe this is how he holds onto her...
              with promises to make her a 12th.

              BTW-Look at how HK handled the situation
              with Darwin. That was ruthless! And, to this
              day Klemp has never acknowledged Darwin
              Gross' death. Klemp had an opportunity to
              make amends and to say some nice things
              about his (our) former Master who handed
              him the Rod of ECK Power. But No! Klemp's
              omission of those EK Virtues showed another
              side to him that most ECKists would have
              never seen otherwise. Still, ECKists have
              closed their eyes to Klemp's negative behaviour,

              And, look at those searches and Metal Detectors
              for HK's Saturday evening talk at major ECK
              Seminars. This shows his level of Fear as well
              and this attachment is a Passion of the Mind.

              Thus, Klemp has not only perpetuated PT's
              ECK Initiation Caste System, but has limited
              it due to his own narcissism. HK never learned
              how to share and has always been arrogant,
              angry, critical of others, and a poor listener
              and a poor loser... look at those old ping-pong
              stories of HK's! All in all, this shows that Klemp
              is not qualified to be the leader of anything
              that should resemble "spirituality." Talk is
              cheap and that's all he's got... along with the
              delusional dreams and imaginings of his brain-
              washed and needy followers. Yes, he's smiling
              all the way to the Bank and back again and again.

              avonblue wrote:

              > Good information Jonathan. Twitchell rode the popular (although esoteric)
              back of Scientology, Sant Mat, Edgar Cayce, etc. in the 60's to build his new
              "path". " Religion" was becoming a bad word. Look at the eckankar site now!
              From the soft pastel colors, gold highlights, clean-cut smiling faces - it looks