Lynn Mulvin's Death

  • Colleen Russell, LMFT
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2010
      To give a brief introduction, I don't often come here, but I continue my work with cult recovery in my role as licensed psychotherapist in Mill Valley, CA. I was a "7th Initiate" and Eckankar was my life during the '70s. I use both my professional and personal experience in collaborative work with clients to help them understand cult dynamics and structure so they can take back their lives.

      After the first of the year I received an email from someone who identified herself as Lynn Mulvin's sister. She informed me that Lynn died on December 10th, 2009. Lynn was married to Jerry Mulvin when she died and they had been married for many years. They met while both were involved in Eckankar, according to my understanding. In the '70s, Jerry was popular amongst "Eckists" for his "Soul Travel Workshops" and with other "true believers" (including myself, at the time) opened the first Eckankar Center in Los Angeles. Mulvin left Eckankar, eventually moved to Arizona, and began his own "teaching", taking a few Eckankar members with him. While so involved he was found guilty of having hundreds of child (mostly pre-pubescent girls) pornography photos on his computer's hard drive, and was given a lifetime probation, registered as a sexual offender.

      Lynn's sister sought answers to some of her concerns about her sister's relationship with Mulvin and its influence over the years. I did the best I could to inform her, according to my understanding.

      Lynn was in her 40s when she died of alcohol-related disease, according to her sister, and Lynn's family was very concerned about her choices, including why she married a man who professed spiritual enlightenment and lived in a "hovel".

      This conversation reinforced my concern about deception and dysfunctionality regarding those in the "spiritual" field. I wanted to share this with you.
    • Zoey
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2010
        Colleen, thank you for this. We need to know these things. We need a full picture of these people, these people claiming Holy stature.

        On another note, I want to thank you for your many posts in the past, Colleen. You don't know me, but I read over at eckankartruth for years; and let me tell you, your posts were so insightful and beneficial. You turned me onto Alice Miller, for one thing. And I want to thank you sincerely.

        zoey