Re: An Eck story - Paul Twitchell and the "Potato Pizza Man"

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2010
      Hello Jonathan and All,
      You make some good points and that
      gave me some other insights as to why
      people preach and seek religious dogma
      to fit their individual/group personalities.
      People are social animals and need various
      group consensuses in order to feel good
      about their self-image. We need to have
      a sense of belonging, otherwise,a social/
      psychological imbalance takes place.
      Then again, imbalance can often take
      place for an individual due to joining
      a group (religion/organization). This think/
      consciousness always has it's own rules,
      laws, and guidelines outside of normal
      society. However, for spiritual and
      creative growth to take place, one
      has to be able to be a free thinker and
      yet be a responsible member of society.
      The problem now is with the limited
      scope as to what people see/define as

      I'll comment more below.

      jonathan wrote:

      "I forgot to mention one thing. When I discussed the man from India who combined
      two facts into a story that was a total lie, I said that both my friend and I
      believed that this man didn't know he was lying. I thought perhaps some
      pro-Eckankar people might think that Twitchell gets some compassion because he
      had a brain dysfunction whereby he didn't know he was lying. Whether he did or
      didn't have that, the fact is that he published books that were full of
      plagiarized material, so he is responsible for that, no matter what the original
      circumstances were."

      P- Actually Twitchell bought into another lie.
      Radhasoami and Ruhani Satsang were just other
      forms of the same old religious lie. The main
      difference between these two religions is who
      the living "Master" was/is. That's, basically,
      the same difference between these two religions
      and Eckankar. But, then again, all religions
      share some of the same beliefs, and all claim
      to be the best, highest and most accurate!
      I think that this is what Twitchell saw and since
      Kirpal Singh wasn't going to make him his U.S.
      Rep he decided to start his own New Age/Westernized
      version of these two religions. PT felt that he
      needed to give his new creation (and himself)
      some validity so he created Rebazar Tarzs and
      the lineage of ECK Masters. Therefore, Twit
      knew that it was all a lie. Both he and, especially,
      Gail saw this as an opportunity to combine/share/
      sell this new product (another religion) and see
      what developed. And, Eckankar did pay off!
      Maybe not as well as other New Age religions,
      like Scientology, but it didn't do too bad at
      bringing in the cash until recently.

      "So I guess there are three possibilities for Twitchell's lies:
      1. He had a brain dysfunction and didn't know he was lying.
      2. He knew he was lying, but did it anyway.
      3. He knew he was lying, but after doing it for such a long time, he got so used
      to it that it no longer seemed like lying."

      P- PT was pathological and a narcissist. He
      knew he was lying. He had been lying since
      age 27 according to Klemp. Over the years
      it became second nature to him. He was always
      "on-stage" and started to believe his own lies,
      thus, making him delusional as well. After all,
      he had to keep-up the act for his young wife.
      She was in on the lie from day one and Twit
      used her as a sounding board. She supported
      him and played a key role in structuring the
      whole scheme.

      "Regarding #2 and #3, I think he may have been under pressure from his wife Gail
      to make a decent living for them. I honestly believe that he wrote most of his
      stuff down as just a private diary. He never intended to start a metaphysical
      group (according to Twitchell he did not start a religion). But then after
      pressure from Gail to "Do something with your life!" he started Eckankar, never
      actually believing that it would ever catch on anyway. As he progressed he made
      a few "corrections" such as changing the name of Kirpal Singh, then had to add
      lies later to cover up the original lies. Before long, it snowballed into one
      big mess."

      P-I completely agree with the above! Twit had
      written fictional articles for Ripley's Believe It Or
      Not and had also been caught plagiarizing by Orion.
      Therefore, one just needs to take another religion's
      dogma and alter it to fit your own purposes. Why
      reinvent the wheel? The history, myth, and lies
      of other religions can be added and altered to that
      of the newly created one! Voila'! Yes, Gail is as
      responsible for the lies as much as (if not more)
      than what Twit is. And, Klemp knows that it's all
      a scam as well! That's why he hides out instead
      of being more visible as a local public or religious
      leader here in Chanhassen. Klemp could have
      a radio program, but he "can't take the heat"
      so he stays out of the kitchen.

      "But the bottom line is, he had a "personal diary" plus a bunch of plagiarized
      stuff. He took that and tried to change it into "the word of God." It's probably
      the same thing that hundreds of people had successfully done before him to start
      religions, but in the modern age he wasn't able to get away with it."

      P- Well, this is why Klemp tries to keep
      his followers off the Internet by promoting
      EMR/EMF fears. HK doesn't want his people
      reading and researching and thinking too
      much. This is why ECKists are encouraged
      to read ONLY approved/recommended EK
      books. Tunnel vision (limited focus) and
      pretending (imagining) is encouraged.
      Delusional thinking becomes A Way Of Life!

      "I realize that my excuses for Twitchell are being way too kind to him, but I
      thought I would try to get into the heads of some of Twitchell's fans and
      perhaps try to figure out what they might be thinking. Also, I think when I left
      Eckankar I probably thought up some of these excuses, but in the end they just
      didn't wash out. When I first saw the documentation showing entire paragraphs
      copied from "The Path Of The Masters" I think that was when I really had to face
      the fact that Twitchell plagiarized a large amount of material almost word for
      word (credit given to the research by David Lane and Ford Johnson). At that
      point I was very close to leaving Eckankar."

      P- Twit was a likable character and could spin
      a good yarn. That's what many of these characters
      did back in those days. They even had local "Liars"
      clubs back then. It was seen as good sport until
      honest hard-working people were flim-flammed
      out of their hard earned money by a snake-oil
      salesman. Twit became a snake-oil salesman,
      but rationalized it all by saying he was doing
      a "service" for people. He attracted a certain
      disillusioned New Age group of people and gave
      them something different to believe in. Of course
      it took the same kind of "faith" and belief as their
      previous religions did, but this (Eckankar) was
      different and a "faster" Journey and a "higher"
      Truth than any religion could offer ever before.
      The Best and Fastest (most direct)! Who could
      resist that promise? And, you can "prove" it to
      yourself! Just read the material and your mind
      will focus itself on certain (conscious/unconscious)
      expectations that will manifest via dreams or

      Anyway, it's rather funny that this is exactly
      how other religious beliefs work too!
      These Religions all seem to have followers that
      exclude, or belittle, the "spiritual" experiences
      of non-believers! One has to be in the same club.
      But, even then, there's the hierarchy that promotes
      equality (as Soul) while excluding people due
      to rank (the highest can only be desired and
      imagined). There's the Catch-22. If one has
      desires (even for God-Realization or for initiation
      rank) it cannot be attained, unless, you
      imagine someone else can give it to you.
      Religion is just a bunch of futuristic promises
      that can help give masses of people some
      comfort... sometimes. But, it's all most people
      have. And, what else do they have except these
      promises? It's like a pyramid scheme. The ones
      that buy-in, early on, benefit the most, except,
      those initiations are phony... and look at all
      of the time that was wasted... not to mention
      the money wasted! Finding out the real Truth
      hurt because we learned that, once again, we
      were suckered by another religion! And, what
      did we have to replace it with? This is probably
      why most ECKists stay. They "need" a religion!