Re: An Eck story - Paul Twitchell and the "Potato Pizza Man"

  • jonathanjohns96
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2010
      Prometheus,

      I forgot to mention one thing. When I discussed the man from India who combined two facts into a story that was a total lie, I said that both my friend and I believed that this man didn't know he was lying. I thought perhaps some pro-Eckankar people might think that Twitchell gets some compassion because he had a brain dysfunction whereby he didn't know he was lying. Whether he did or didn't have that, the fact is that he published books that were full of plagiarized material, so he is responsible for that, no matter what the original circumstances were.

      So I guess there are three possibilities for Twitchell's lies:
      1. He had a brain dysfunction and didn't know he was lying.
      2. He knew he was lying, but did it anyway.
      3. He knew he was lying, but after doing it for such a long time, he got so used to it that it no longer seemed like lying.

      Regarding #2 and #3, I think he may have been under pressure from his wife Gail to make a decent living for them. I honestly believe that he wrote most of his stuff down as just a private diary. He never intended to start a metaphysical group (according to Twitchell he did not start a religion). But then after pressure from Gail to "Do something with your life!" he started Eckankar, never actually believing that it would ever catch on anyway. As he progressed he made a few "corrections" such as changing the name of Kirpal Singh, then had to add lies later to cover up the original lies. Before long, it snowballed into one big mess.

      But the bottom line is, he had a "personal dairy" plus a bunch of plagiarized stuff. He took that and tried to change it into "the word of God." It's probably the same thing that hundreds of people had successfully done before him to start religions, but in the modern age he wasn't able to get away with it.

      I realize that my excuses for Twitchell are being way too kind to him, but I thought I would try to get into the heads of some of Twitchell's fans and perhaps try to figure out what they might be thinking. Also, I think when I left Eckankar I probably thought up some of these excuses, but in the end they just didn't wash out. When I first saw the documentation showing entire paragraphs copied from "The Path Of The Masters" I think that was when I really had to face the fact that Twitchell plagiarized a large amount of material almost word for word (credit given to the research by David Lane and Ford Johnson). At that point I was very close to leaving Eckankar.

      Jonathan

> [...]
      > said to myself "Why does "Joshi" (the guy that I knew at _________ University)
      > keep popping into my mind?" Then I thought back to my good friend from India
      > "Vijay."
      >
      > I knew "Vijay" very well, and he introduced me to several other guys from India
      > - one of them was named "Joshi." He was a very likable guy, always telling funny
      > stories. He had a lot of personality. He had lots of friends because everybody
      > liked to hear the interesting stories that he told.
      >
      > My good friend "Vijay" told me the following story. He and several other
      > Indians, including Joshi took a trip to _______ for an educational symposium.
      > They were all friends. After they got back, the bunch of them were standing in a
      > hallway talking to one of their professors. Vijay related the following story
      > about Joshi. This quote below is Joshi speaking. He is speaking to the professor
      > and telling him about their trip to the symposium in _______.
      >
      > Joshi "Yeah, we went to the symposium. We had a great time. We went to this
      > restaurant and had potato pizza. The restaurant was started by an Italian guy
      > and an Irish guy. They got together and thought up this great idea to start a
      > restaurant selling potato pizza."
      >
      > Vijay then explained to me as he seriously said "All us who went on the trip
      > just stood there silently." He lowered his voice as he said "The problem is…
      > there was no potato pizza." He went on to explain. "They truth is, we went to an
      > Italian place for pizza, and we also went to an Irish pub for some drinks. Joshi
      > took these two completely unrelated events and put them together into this
      > "potato pizza story." Vijay was laughing as he told me. but he was laughing
      > mostly out of embarrassment or perhaps as a result of feeling incredulous. But
      > he went on to tell me this. "Joshi's mother came over from India to visit them.
      > She was talking to Vijay and her son Joshi's other Indian friends. She told
      > them. "When Joshi tells you things, be careful what you believe because he likes
      > to tell fibs." So the fact that his mother told Vijay and his friends this
      > statement indicates to me that "Joshi" was this way from a young age.
      >
      > I never really applied the term "pathological liar" to "Joshi" because I liked
      > the guy, but that is obviously what he was. The amazing thing is what Vijay told
      > me, and that is, Joshi has no idea that he is actually lying when he does this.
      > He's completely sincere. He has no clue that he is making stories up or lying.
      >
      > So, that's the story. Isn't it interesting how I knew this guy Joshi way back in
      > 1979? That he was a pathological liar, although a very nice one. That 1979 is
      > the same year that I joined Eckankar. That Eckankar is a religion that Paul
      > Twitchell stole from Indian religions, most notably Hinduism and Sikhism, or
      > derivatives of these two. It's way too many coincidences!
      >
      > So I'm going to send this story into Eckankar. I hope they print it.

    • jonathanjohns96
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2010
        All,

        I just noticed that this sentence at the beginning in my previous post could be misread, and therefore misunderstood. I am concerned that the sentence could be misread to mean that what I said in my original post was a total lie. Here is the sentence:

        "When I discussed the man from India who combined two facts into a story that was a total lie, I said that both my friend and I believed that this man didn't know he was lying."

        This is my improved version:

        "In my original post I discussed the man from India who combined two facts together which then resulted in a story which was a total lie. I also stated in my original post that both my friend who told me the story and I believed that this man didn't know he was lying."

        Jonathan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2010
          Hello Jonathan and All,
          You make some good points and that
          gave me some other insights as to why
          people preach and seek religious dogma
          to fit their individual/group personalities.
          People are social animals and need various
          group consensuses in order to feel good
          about their self-image. We need to have
          a sense of belonging, otherwise,a social/
          psychological imbalance takes place.
          Then again, imbalance can often take
          place for an individual due to joining
          a group (religion/organization). This think/
          consciousness always has it's own rules,
          laws, and guidelines outside of normal
          society. However, for spiritual and
          creative growth to take place, one
          has to be able to be a free thinker and
          yet be a responsible member of society.
          The problem now is with the limited
          scope as to what people see/define as
          "society."

          I'll comment more below.

          jonathan wrote:

          Prometheus,

          "I forgot to mention one thing. When I discussed the man from India who combined
          two facts into a story that was a total lie, I said that both my friend and I
          believed that this man didn't know he was lying. I thought perhaps some
          pro-Eckankar people might think that Twitchell gets some compassion because he
          had a brain dysfunction whereby he didn't know he was lying. Whether he did or
          didn't have that, the fact is that he published books that were full of
          plagiarized material, so he is responsible for that, no matter what the original
          circumstances were."

          P- Actually Twitchell bought into another lie.
          Radhasoami and Ruhani Satsang were just other
          forms of the same old religious lie. The main
          difference between these two religions is who
          the living "Master" was/is. That's, basically,
          the same difference between these two religions
          and Eckankar. But, then again, all religions
          share some of the same beliefs, and all claim
          to be the best, highest and most accurate!
          I think that this is what Twitchell saw and since
          Kirpal Singh wasn't going to make him his U.S.
          Rep he decided to start his own New Age/Westernized
          version of these two religions. PT felt that he
          needed to give his new creation (and himself)
          some validity so he created Rebazar Tarzs and
          the lineage of ECK Masters. Therefore, Twit
          knew that it was all a lie. Both he and, especially,
          Gail saw this as an opportunity to combine/share/
          sell this new product (another religion) and see
          what developed. And, Eckankar did pay off!
          Maybe not as well as other New Age religions,
          like Scientology, but it didn't do too bad at
          bringing in the cash until recently.

          "So I guess there are three possibilities for Twitchell's lies:
          1. He had a brain dysfunction and didn't know he was lying.
          2. He knew he was lying, but did it anyway.
          3. He knew he was lying, but after doing it for such a long time, he got so used
          to it that it no longer seemed like lying."

          P- PT was pathological and a narcissist. He
          knew he was lying. He had been lying since
          age 27 according to Klemp. Over the years
          it became second nature to him. He was always
          "on-stage" and started to believe his own lies,
          thus, making him delusional as well. After all,
          he had to keep-up the act for his young wife.
          She was in on the lie from day one and Twit
          used her as a sounding board. She supported
          him and played a key role in structuring the
          whole scheme.

          "Regarding #2 and #3, I think he may have been under pressure from his wife Gail
          to make a decent living for them. I honestly believe that he wrote most of his
          stuff down as just a private diary. He never intended to start a metaphysical
          group (according to Twitchell he did not start a religion). But then after
          pressure from Gail to "Do something with your life!" he started Eckankar, never
          actually believing that it would ever catch on anyway. As he progressed he made
          a few "corrections" such as changing the name of Kirpal Singh, then had to add
          lies later to cover up the original lies. Before long, it snowballed into one
          big mess."

          P-I completely agree with the above! Twit had
          written fictional articles for Ripley's Believe It Or
          Not and had also been caught plagiarizing by Orion.
          Therefore, one just needs to take another religion's
          dogma and alter it to fit your own purposes. Why
          reinvent the wheel? The history, myth, and lies
          of other religions can be added and altered to that
          of the newly created one! Voila'! Yes, Gail is as
          responsible for the lies as much as (if not more)
          than what Twit is. And, Klemp knows that it's all
          a scam as well! That's why he hides out instead
          of being more visible as a local public or religious
          leader here in Chanhassen. Klemp could have
          a radio program, but he "can't take the heat"
          so he stays out of the kitchen.

          "But the bottom line is, he had a "personal diary" plus a bunch of plagiarized
          stuff. He took that and tried to change it into "the word of God." It's probably
          the same thing that hundreds of people had successfully done before him to start
          religions, but in the modern age he wasn't able to get away with it."

          P- Well, this is why Klemp tries to keep
          his followers off the Internet by promoting
          EMR/EMF fears. HK doesn't want his people
          reading and researching and thinking too
          much. This is why ECKists are encouraged
          to read ONLY approved/recommended EK
          books. Tunnel vision (limited focus) and
          pretending (imagining) is encouraged.
          Delusional thinking becomes A Way Of Life!

          "I realize that my excuses for Twitchell are being way too kind to him, but I
          thought I would try to get into the heads of some of Twitchell's fans and
          perhaps try to figure out what they might be thinking. Also, I think when I left
          Eckankar I probably thought up some of these excuses, but in the end they just
          didn't wash out. When I first saw the documentation showing entire paragraphs
          copied from "The Path Of The Masters" I think that was when I really had to face
          the fact that Twitchell plagiarized a large amount of material almost word for
          word (credit given to the research by David Lane and Ford Johnson). At that
          point I was very close to leaving Eckankar."

          P- Twit was a likable character and could spin
          a good yarn. That's what many of these characters
          did back in those days. They even had local "Liars"
          clubs back then. It was seen as good sport until
          honest hard-working people were flim-flammed
          out of their hard earned money by a snake-oil
          salesman. Twit became a snake-oil salesman,
          but rationalized it all by saying he was doing
          a "service" for people. He attracted a certain
          disillusioned New Age group of people and gave
          them something different to believe in. Of course
          it took the same kind of "faith" and belief as their
          previous religions did, but this (Eckankar) was
          different and a "faster" Journey and a "higher"
          Truth than any religion could offer ever before.
          The Best and Fastest (most direct)! Who could
          resist that promise? And, you can "prove" it to
          yourself! Just read the material and your mind
          will focus itself on certain (conscious/unconscious)
          expectations that will manifest via dreams or
          "signs."

          Anyway, it's rather funny that this is exactly
          how other religious beliefs work too!
          These Religions all seem to have followers that
          exclude, or belittle, the "spiritual" experiences
          of non-believers! One has to be in the same club.
          But, even then, there's the hierarchy that promotes
          equality (as Soul) while excluding people due
          to rank (the highest can only be desired and
          imagined). There's the Catch-22. If one has
          desires (even for God-Realization or for initiation
          rank) it cannot be attained, unless, you
          imagine someone else can give it to you.
          Religion is just a bunch of futuristic promises
          that can help give masses of people some
          comfort... sometimes. But, it's all most people
          have. And, what else do they have except these
          promises? It's like a pyramid scheme. The ones
          that buy-in, early on, benefit the most, except,
          those initiations are phony... and look at all
          of the time that was wasted... not to mention
          the money wasted! Finding out the real Truth
          hurt because we learned that, once again, we
          were suckered by another religion! And, what
          did we have to replace it with? This is probably
          why most ECKists stay. They "need" a religion!