Re: Are there any Eck songs on YouTube? - HU Chant/Song

  • jonathanjohns96
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2010
      Someone sent me an email pointing out there are several videos of HU Chants/HU Songs on YouTube. I'm assuming that they are a member of Eckankar. Their email was polite, so I really don't care if they are a member.

      I just did a search on YouTube for Hu Chant and Hu Song. I found several examples of each. Some of the videos were obviously posted by Eckankar (HU Song), some of the others I'm not sure about (HU Chant). Some videos call it "HU Chant," a name that Eckankar hasn't officially used for a very long time. So it appears that perhaps some individuals have posted their own video with Eckankar's HU as a background, and Eckankar is looking the other way. But I'm also wondering whether Eckankar posted all of the videos.

      The fact is, Eckankar uses the HU to promote itself. It's rather noncontroversial and not offensive. There are no words to it, so there are no words to offend anybody or discourage them from joining Eckankar. So I guess for some unknown reason they may be more lenient about allowing individuals post videos using it.

      In one video, one person who was off camera was chanting the HU. But that is obviously not Eckankar's copy-written version of the HU, so they weren't breaking any copyright laws.

      Eckankar changed the name from "HU Chant" to "HU song" because they thought people would think that the word "chant" makes Eckankar sound like an Eastern religion. That could turn off some potential new members of Eckankar, hence the name change.
    • postekcon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2010
        Eckankar is modeled an a simple mlm formula, where the affiliate fee [suggested membership donation] is reasonable. But where the real money is made for the org is where the 'affiliate' must purchase and frequently update [always at personal expense] all the promotional materials. However, with eckankar.org, the affiliate is doubly tricked into the purchase of all these extraneous materials for promotion purposes, for it is suggested to them this constitutes their 'service' to spirit!
        -Postekcon

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2010
          Hello Postekcon and All,
          Yes, Eckankar does make most of its
          money from material sales while promoting
          service as a "spiritual reward." There's the
          catch. If an EKist seeks rewards then he/she
          can't be "detached" and this fact and condition,
          therefore, invalidates the higher spiritual reward
          from being received by an unworthy person who
          is, in fact, attached to lower mental plane concepts/
          traps. Service and coin are lower plane conditions
          put into place by the lower plane LEM and his
          church (Eckankar).

          What's really ironic is that most Eckists spend
          more money on their pilgrimage to the EK
          Temple in Chanhassen, MN.! When one looks
          at the cost of air fare and the hotel expenses
          and all of the other expenses associated with
          attending an EK Seminar these expenses out
          weigh all others expenses and donations to
          the ECK Org/Church! BTW- Why doesn't Klemp
          travel anymore? Why do EKists have to forgo
          their vacation days saved up for Minneapolis?
          What happened to Orlando? That would be a
          nice change and warmer too! Klemp doesn't
          give a sh_t about his chelas and H.I.s. Harry's
          selfish and narcissistic. Let's face it... Eckankar
          has become awfully dull with Klemp in charge
          for all these years.

          Prometheus