"I can't think of a single negative thing thing about Eckankar" (Hint: I didn't

  • jonathanjohns96
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2010
      He everybody. I have at least one more "Eck story" although it is a short one. This took place sometime during my last month in Eckankar in December of 2008 after 29 years in Eckankar. This was when I had already been asking a lot of "difficult" questions at the local Eck center. I had already learned a lot of truth about Eckankar such as Paul Twitchell's extensive plagiarism. I'm pretty sure it was right before the scheduled HU chant, not at the "worship service." I was sitting there talking to a long term (30+ years) member of Eckankar. I was telling this man something like "Sure, some of the detractors of Eckankar have found a few negative things about Eckankar, but the basic teachings are still good." (I.e., I was trying to convince myself to stay in Eckankar.) He looked straight at me and said with a big smile "I can't think of a single negative thing about Eckankar."

      I just sat there not saying anything, just looking over toward him. I had to evaluate this because I was stunned. I was thinking to myself "Is he really serious?" He's been in Eckankar for a least 30 years and he can't think of a single negative thing? Nothing!!!???" He didn't say anything further so I just looked away somewhere else because I obviously wasn't going to pursue this conversation with him. I know when to not waste my time, plus I really wasn't in the mood to say anything that would annoy him. Unfortunately, all the facts that I could have told would have done just that.

      This story points out one thing. You really can't appreciate how brainwashed some members of Eckankar are until you are sitting right in front of them and talking to them.

      I would like to give an example from my own childhood when I was being raised as a Christian. Even when I was a kid being forced to go to Sunday School at the local Protestant church, I had my doubts about the stories about Adam and Eve, and Noah's Ark. And I was just a kid!!! But I guess this strange phenomenon of brainwashed religious followers might not have anything to do with age. Even if you are an adult you can convince yourself to believe anything.

      And I would suggest that anyone who belongs to any religion that you ask this same question of yourself. Can you think of even one negative thing about your religion? If you can't, then you should start to wonder whether you are a religious fanatic.

      I'm sure that this Eckist I was speaking to just sees himself has a faithful follower of Eckankar. Sorry Sir, I think you're brainwashed.
    • jonathanjohns96
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2010
        I wish Yahoo would allow a longer subject line. The full title is:

        "I can't think of a single negative thing about Eckankar" (Hint: I didn't say this)

        I guess I can add one more comment. It was because of kooky, brain-dead people like this that I really decided that I had to leave Eckankar. I honestly didn't know that there were some members who were this wacky. I always had a few doubts about Eckankar from almost the very beginning. I realize that many people who joined believed everything from the start. All of us are different. But after 30 years as a member you should be able to think of at least one negative thing. Maybe the parking lot at the Eck center is too small. Anything!!!

        Jonathan