Re: Are there any Eck songs on YouTube?

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2009
      Your observation is very good and most likely accurate!! It is about
      money . . . eckankar taking your money!! So dishonest of them as
      the top leaders live a plush life while the chelas sacrifice more and
      more!

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
        Hi Jonathan and All,
        Very good info and insight. Yes, Klemp's
        protecting other's (Eckankar's) copyrighted
        music (HU Chants too) so that he can sell
        the CDs. A true Vahana and messenger for
        Sugmad would want this material out there
        on the Internet and Free to the public.

        Prometheus

        Jonathan wrote:

        I thought I would add some additional comments to my original post.

        First Point.
        The fact is, many individuals on YouTube use a copyrighted music file a backing
        track for a video, they then add some beautiful photos of their own such as the
        ocean, mountains, etc. Some of these videos are quite amazing and are a
        beautiful form of self-expression. Some of these videos get pulled from YouTube
        by the copy write owners, but many do not.

        Likewise, a member of Eckankar could do the same thing. They could take an Eck
        song from one of the official CDs that Eckankar sells and make it into a
        beautiful video, then post it on YouTube. But I didn't find a single instance of
        this on YouTube. There are two reasons for this:

        1. Eckankar aggressively protects all of it's copy-written material because it
        wants only the "official line" from Eckankar headquarters to be present on
        YouTube.

        2. Eckankar aggressively protects all of it's copyrighted material because it
        doesn't want to lose any income as a result of people giving it away for free.

        Second Point.
        Ever hear an Eckist tell a personal story on YouTube? I looked, and I didn't
        find a single instance. I've discussed this previously on other posts on the
        Internet, but Eckists are afraid to give their own personal stories and
        experiences regarding Eckankar. Currently, there are two videos on YouTube which
        masquerade as a personal story told by an Eckist, but it is pretty easy to see
        that these two videos are just slick "Madison Avenue" videos produced at
        Eckankar headquarters:

        Reincarnation Past Life Dream Interpretation via Eckankar
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nOvyUDObQI

        Out-of-body Experience with my deceased brother OBE Eckankar
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK9Teg3vly8&feature=related

        Third Point.
        So what kind of Eckankar videos are there on YouTube? It's mostly VERY SHORT
        videos with the current leader of Eckankar, Harold Klemp. Almost all of them are
        less than five minutes long. They give you a very short glimpse of Eckankar,
        just enough to get you "sucked in" but not enough to really give you a decent
        amount of information so that you can actually do a worthwhile evaluation of
        Eckankar. Eckankar gives so little information out to the public on YouTube that
        any reasonable person would get the impression that Eckankar has a lot to hide.

        Fourth Point
        Eckankar has 5 minute videos of Klemp's talks on YouTube. I'm not certain, but I
        believe his talks typically run about 30 minutes. Contrast that with the
        following website dedicated to Paul Twitchell's teacher Kirpal Singh:

        Recorded talks of Kirpal Singh (Click on link to listen, right-click to
        download.)
        http://www.ruhanisatsangusa.org/audio.htm

        Audio books of Kirpal Singh (Click on link to listen, right-click to download.)
        http://www.ruhanisatsangusa.org/audiobook.htm

        In case anyone wonders "Do they really allow free download?" Here is a direct
        quote from the audio book page:

        "The 'books on CD'("audio books") in our collection have converted to MP3 files
        and can be downloaded here."

        So there is no doubt. It is all free!

        It has been awhile since I checked out Eckanakr's website, but I don't recall
        seeing any free downloads of talks or audio books. Ka ching, ka ching!

        So it's pretty clear, when it comes to spiritual knowledge:

        Paul Twitchell's followers (Eckankar): Copyright, protect, and restrict. Sell
        everything, no exceptions.
        Kirpal Singh's followers (Ruhani Satsang): Give away freely.

        I get sick of hearing members of Eckankar saying "But Eckankar doesn't cost that
        much." My reply to them is "Well it seems to me that you could be doing a whole
        lot better."

        Fifth Point
        Back when I was a "contented" member of Eckankar I always wondered "Why doesn't
        Eckankar convert all of Paul Twitchell's tapes to MP3 format, put them all on a
        CD and sell the CD for a reasonable price?" I realize now that there are two
        reasons for this:

        (1) Eckankar could no longer sell you one cassette tape for
        $8, and

        (2) Eckanakar doesn't want to preserve Paul's original tapes because
        there were too many times that he stuck his foot in his mouth or he
        just didn't agree with Klemp's modern-day "Christian-based approach"
        to selling Eckankar. And in case you are wondering, yes, I was very naive
        back in those days.

        <jonathanjohns wrote:

        > A few weeks ago I guess I was almost having pity on Eckankar. Perhaps I was
        thinking things like "Maybe I've been too harsh on Eckankar" and "Maybe
        Eckankar isn't as bad as I think they are."

        > So I decided to do an experiment. I was going to give Eckankar a fair chance.
        I decided to go over to YouTube and do a search for some Eckankar videos. Then I
        was going to watch the videos and do a completely fair evaluation of the
        content. Don't ask me why I was so generous because I don't know why. But I
        thought it would be a good idea to just "start from square one." Forget all of
        my personal issues with Eckankar and thoroughly dedicate myself to giving them a
        fair chance.

        > The first thing I did was search for some Eckankar music. When I was a member
        of Eckankar I heard some "Eck songs" that I liked, and I was curious to see
        whether I could find a few of them on YouTube. For one thing, I was curious to
        see what my reaction would be when I listened to the songs. Would I cry? Would I
        feel nostalgic? So I did the search. This is my results:

        > First search string --> Nothing
        > Second search string --> Nothing
        > Third search string --> Nothing
        > Fourth search string --> Nothing
        >
        > I honestly don't remember what I used to search, but I am pretty good at
        searching for things on the Internet.

        > But my search results did prove one thing: There is no Eck music on YouTube!
        Well, at first I was kinda stumped. Why? Then it came to me... the sound of "ka
        ching" resonated in my head. Yes, it was all about money. It had to be! Eckankar
        doesn't give anything away - you have to pay for it. Which does prove one thing.
        That Spirit DOES give freely, except when it comes through Eckankar.

      • jonathanjohns96
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2010
          Someone sent me an email pointing out there are several videos of HU Chants/HU Songs on YouTube. I'm assuming that they are a member of Eckankar. Their email was polite, so I really don't care if they are a member.

          I just did a search on YouTube for Hu Chant and Hu Song. I found several examples of each. Some of the videos were obviously posted by Eckankar (HU Song), some of the others I'm not sure about (HU Chant). Some videos call it "HU Chant," a name that Eckankar hasn't officially used for a very long time. So it appears that perhaps some individuals have posted their own video with Eckankar's HU as a background, and Eckankar is looking the other way. But I'm also wondering whether Eckankar posted all of the videos.

          The fact is, Eckankar uses the HU to promote itself. It's rather noncontroversial and not offensive. There are no words to it, so there are no words to offend anybody or discourage them from joining Eckankar. So I guess for some unknown reason they may be more lenient about allowing individuals post videos using it.

          In one video, one person who was off camera was chanting the HU. But that is obviously not Eckankar's copy-written version of the HU, so they weren't breaking any copyright laws.

          Eckankar changed the name from "HU Chant" to "HU song" because they thought people would think that the word "chant" makes Eckankar sound like an Eastern religion. That could turn off some potential new members of Eckankar, hence the name change.
        • postekcon
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2010
            Eckankar is modeled an a simple mlm formula, where the affiliate fee [suggested membership donation] is reasonable. But where the real money is made for the org is where the 'affiliate' must purchase and frequently update [always at personal expense] all the promotional materials. However, with eckankar.org, the affiliate is doubly tricked into the purchase of all these extraneous materials for promotion purposes, for it is suggested to them this constitutes their 'service' to spirit!
            -Postekcon

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 21, 2010
              Hello Postekcon and All,
              Yes, Eckankar does make most of its
              money from material sales while promoting
              service as a "spiritual reward." There's the
              catch. If an EKist seeks rewards then he/she
              can't be "detached" and this fact and condition,
              therefore, invalidates the higher spiritual reward
              from being received by an unworthy person who
              is, in fact, attached to lower mental plane concepts/
              traps. Service and coin are lower plane conditions
              put into place by the lower plane LEM and his
              church (Eckankar).

              What's really ironic is that most Eckists spend
              more money on their pilgrimage to the EK
              Temple in Chanhassen, MN.! When one looks
              at the cost of air fare and the hotel expenses
              and all of the other expenses associated with
              attending an EK Seminar these expenses out
              weigh all others expenses and donations to
              the ECK Org/Church! BTW- Why doesn't Klemp
              travel anymore? Why do EKists have to forgo
              their vacation days saved up for Minneapolis?
              What happened to Orlando? That would be a
              nice change and warmer too! Klemp doesn't
              give a sh_t about his chelas and H.I.s. Harry's
              selfish and narcissistic. Let's face it... Eckankar
              has become awfully dull with Klemp in charge
              for all these years.

              Prometheus